What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez

Anyone think Montez would consider entering the draft if he continues on his current trajectory? Would the NFL have him placed at a high position in the draft?

Not all of them but a few of those sacks were on Montez. Then, one play in particular, wanna say it was the early 3rd? He was going through progression, had nothing, and was about to get sacked again. He finally said, **** it, tucked it down and got around 10 to 15. I wanna see more of that. Dude is still learning, pretty easy to see.

Overall, none of us can complain about Montez, but you're absolutely right. I'm watching my recording right now, and you can't really tell from the telecast. Live though, Montez had a few blown wide chances. On the flea flicker that he threw to Shenault for a 20 yarder, he also had someone wide open for a TD up the seam. On a sack in the 2nd where he pump faked, he also I believe had Shenault running a post and open. Montez definitely had happy feet at times due to the pressure, but still, great game by him and the whole team. This may already have been discussed in the game thread, but I'm too lazy, tired and hung over to read through those.

If he keeps throwing for 350 a game with a 7/1 ratio on TD/INT and the Buff keep winning, he better go get his ass paid after this season.
That would be bitter/sweet. But there is a lot of football left to be played.

2Q was brutal. Montez was getting less than 3 seconds of pocket protection. It’s amazing he completed as many as he did.

Montez would have a crazy ceiling if the O-line can reliably get him 4 seconds to read and release.

I am really impressed with Montez this season. He has been maturing in front of our eyes. We questioned Jeffcoat for finding him? So glad he did. He has the occasional WTF moment, but who doesn't? He has grown in his leadership and is off to a great season statistically...after the unh game he will make a big move up the national statistics charts. Montez has shown he is tough and even his press conferences are better. He also has a sense of humor.

Just wanted to throw this out there - Montez is the best QB on our roster and am so glad we got him.

Steven Montez - QB - Buffaloes
NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang listed Colorado redshirt junior QB Steven Montez as the top riser of the week after his performance on Saturday against Nebraska.
Rang's report starts with a doozy. "When discussing the top underclassmen quarterbacks, Auburn's Jarrett Stidham and Oregon's Justin Herbert get most of the attention but no one has been better than Montez over the first two weeks of the season," he writes. Montez (6'5/235) has been exceptional in those first two weeks, although the Colorado State pass defense leaves a lot to be desired. "Scouts have always been intrigued with Montez's size and howitzer of arm," Rang writes, "but it is the improved maturity and accuracy he has shown this season that has his stock on the rise." Montez entered the year as a potential Day 3 pick. It seems like that stock has improved considerably, and will continue to rise if this continues if he plays like this in conference action.
Source: NFL Draft Scout
Sep 10 - 4:52 PM

NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang listed Colorado redshirt junior QB Steven Montez as the top riser of the week after his performance on Saturday against Nebraska.
Rang's report starts with a doozy. "When discussing the top underclassmen quarterbacks, Auburn's Jarrett Stidham and Oregon's Justin Herbert get most of the attention but no one has been better than Montez over the first two weeks of the season," he writes. Montez (6'5/235) has been exceptional in those first two weeks, although the Colorado State pass defense leaves a lot to be desired. "Scouts have always been intrigued with Montez's size and howitzer of arm," Rang writes, "but it is the improved maturity and accuracy he has shown this season that has his stock on the rise." Montez entered the year as a potential Day 3 pick. It seems like that stock has improved considerably, and will continue to rise if this continues if he plays like this in conference action.

So here's the story - we have the year we'd like to have, he's gone. If the wheels fall off and last year repeats itself, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but Montez will likely be back.

So bittersweet either way. I know which way I'm leaning though.

captain-obvious-gif-8.gif

That game vs Nubraska was Montez' best game in CFB yet. He was getting murdered in the pocket, yet he stood in there and made throws, minus a few bailouts. He also had no fumbles and no interceptions. There were a few plays where he showed off arm strength that frankly MOST NFL guys don't have. His arm is ridiculous. But this last game showed a big advance in other more cerebral areas. The way he took shots and kept coming was impressive. Scouts taking note I'd think.

So here's the story - we have the year we'd like to have, he's gone. If the wheels fall off and last year repeats itself, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but Montez will likely be back.

So bittersweet either way. I know which way I'm leaning though.
Then let Montez go, and may he conquer the NFL! I don't think Noyer is the numb-nuts some of you do, and Tyler is right up there with him. Stenstrom seems to be tracking, and Evans may very well live up to expectations. Win and figure out how to win again next year.

I'd rather have big time success than mediocre security, thanks.

I think Montez can do with all the college polish he can get. Any other position I'd say take the money the minute you can get it but QB is such a special position and I think Montez would really benefit from learning as much as he can before he goes pro as he's just so raw. Especially for a QB it's sink or swim in the NFL and you don't really get 2 chances to make it, so I'd make sure I'm the best I can be before I try it.

Unless we're talking sure early first round pick, at which point the money becomes interesting, I think he should stay. Viska will be here next season also.

That game vs Nubraska was Montez' best game in CFB yet. He was getting murdered in the pocket, yet he stood in there and made throws, minus a few bailouts. He also had no fumbles and no interceptions. There were a few plays where he showed off arm strength that frankly MOST NFL guys don't have. His arm is ridiculous. But this last game showed a big advance in other more cerebral areas. The way he took shots and kept coming was impressive. Scouts taking note I'd think.
He was channeling Sefo. Porous line, kicker issues, and all he did was lead both by example and in words. Encouraged his team mates, and made play after play.

Glad he took to the coaching that he has received!

Love montez this season. HE's come a long way and should be applauded for that. But he made a lot of mistakes last Saturday late in the game. That throw to little mac was god awful. He had a few like that. I think it's obvious he is physically ready... but mentally he needs to grow a lot more. His problem isn't his ceiling, it's his consistency.

I think Montez can do with all the college polish he can get. Any other position I'd say take the money the minute you can get it but QB is such a special position and I think Montez would really benefit from learning as much as he can before he goes pro as he's just so raw. Especially for a QB it's sink or swim in the NFL and you don't really get 2 chances to make it, so I'd make sure I'm the best I can be before I try it.

Unless we're talking sure early first round pick, at which point the money becomes interesting, I think he should stay. Viska will be here next season also.

If he gets a 1st round grade (which is possible because... QB), he should absolutely leave for the NFL. He is in year 4. Likely on track to graduate. Go get paid.

Love montez this season. HE's come a long way and should be applauded for that. But he made a lot of mistakes last Saturday late in the game. That throw to little mac was god awful. He had a few like that. I think it's obvious he is physically ready... but mentally he needs to grow a lot more. His problem isn't his ceiling, it's his consistency.
Stay with Roper unless he gets advice that says Rd 1-2.

Dude. J. Peterman was the week 1 starter for the bills after he was brutally awful last year. He didn’t get any better, apparently. The dude was dreadful again with a whopping 27.8% pass completion percentage.

The list continues. Montez is a far better prospect than josh allen. Teams actually wanted to draft allen near the top of the first round. One team decided to trade assets for the right to do so. Montez has a nice year this year? He gone.

I know we're two weeks in, but Kurt Roper is up there for me with Darrin Chiaverini and Jim Leavitt in terms of MM's best assistant hires.....you can see it with Steven. If we have the year we want to have, Steven should go pro. Second thing here-the kid is becoming the leader of this football team-seeing him become the first guy to embrace Josh Goldin after MM mentioned him in the postgame shows it.
'

Umm, I'm pretty sure that about half the starters in the league got 2nd (or 3rd) chances.

Depends on how we define 2nd or 3rd chances. I'm thinking Paxton Lynch here and I am not sure he's gonna get a 2nd chance. And Lynch showed how quickly you can outstay your welcome when it doesn't work.

When I look at the starters from this weekend I'd say Bradford, Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Taylor and Foles are the only guys who got several chances and 2 were starting because the actual starter (Jameis and Wentz) were unavailable. Brees, Smith, Cousins and Jimmy G are on their 2nd (or 3rd in Smith's case) teams, but none of them changed teams because they sucked.

Depends on how we define 2nd or 3rd chances. I'm thinking Paxton Lynch here and I am not sure he's gonna get a 2nd chance. And Lynch showed how quickly you can outstay your welcome when it doesn't work.

When I look at the starters from this weekend I'd say Bradford, Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Taylor and Foles are the only guys who got several chances and 2 were starting because the actual starter (Jameis and Wentz) were unavailable. Brees, Smith, Cousins and Jimmy G are on their 2nd (or 3rd in Smith's case) teams, but none of them changed teams because they sucked.

I get the feeling Paxton's next chance to play will be for the Memphis AAFL team next spring.

montez has the physical stuff to play in the league. he can make all the throws. several of those sacks were on him, but he's playing at a different level from last year. the work he's doing off the field is showing. and, he's better coached. i think he can play his way into the league after this season for sure, but he's not there quite yet. i will never begrudge a guy for leaving early to be a professional athlete. it is a rare opportunity.

I get the feeling Paxton's next chance to play will be for the Memphis AAFL team next spring.

That's the thing. You have little to no control over where you end up and if it's a bad situation and/or you aren't quite where you could be yet and flake out, your first NFL contract may be your last NFL contract.

Lamar Jackson got around 8m guaranteed as the 32nd pick and the last pick in the 2nd round was guaranteed around 2m. Josh Allen was guaranteed around 22m.

Even if Montez does well this entire season, he won't be a 1-2 rounder. He'll need another year. [said in a hopeful tone.]

That's the thing. You have little to no control over where you end up and if it's a bad situation and/or you aren't quite where you could be yet and flake out, your first NFL contract may be your last NFL contract.

Lamar Jackson got around 8m guaranteed as the 32nd pick and the last pick in the 2nd round was guaranteed around 2m. Josh Allen was guaranteed around 22m.
This is exactly why Montez should come out a year early if he has a 1-2 round draft grade. He has a better chance to get with a better team than getting a top 5 grade next year and ending up with the Browns.

Can you explain your point?

Admittedly, I don't follow the NFL much, but all the trashing of Allen I've seen here made me look at his play yesterday. It was when the game was over, but he threw the ball pretty well. Many of his incompletions were stupid drops, including a TD. Is it widely believed that he will be a bust?

Back