What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez

I've got a different take on Josh Allen. I am from Wyoming (originally) and still follow the Pokes. Allen is a stud who is comfortable in a pro style offense. Yes, his completion percentage wasn't great but you have to realize he was working with an extremely young and inexperienced group at OL and WR. Hell, his Center was a true freshman from my hometown (he's a beast but probably played against 180 pound DL in HS) and started every game. His recievers were smart but slow. Never any separation at all. If anything, this probably prepared him a lot more than some of the QB's who were throwing to wide open dudes who could outrun any DB. Just my take. This kid has a huge arm, good attitude and work ethic and a huge amount of air space before he gets anywhere close to his ceiling.

I like Allen as a person and hope he does well. He worked his way into having the opportunity, nothing given to him. Seems like a good person and has a ton of physical talent.

Hope I'm wrong but I see him as a bust in the NFL. Few of the best QBs in the NFL have big arms, what they have is accuracy and quick releases and decision making.

Allen also isn't going to be helped by going to a bad organization like the Bills. I don't see them as a place he can develop his way past his weaknesses. He won't have the talent around him to help him through the rough spots.

If all he needs to work on is mental, he is going to go VERY high in the draft. NFL GM's and coaches know they can fix the mental side. They actually instill the mental aspects that THEY want and not have to override what a college QB coach did.

I think that's exactly the kind of flawed logic that delivered Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch.

I think that's exactly the kind of flawed logic that delivered Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch.

And guys like Ryan Leaf (not saying that Montez is a headcase like him). With regard to what S2S wrote, NFL coaches are arrogant enough to think they can "fix" whatever mental issues physically talented QBs may have, but more often than not, they end up failing. Again, I don't think Montez's issues have been anything like that. He has just taken a little longer to mature than many fans would like, but he looks like he's becoming a real leader in his 4th year in the program.

And guys like Ryan Leaf (not saying that Montez is a headcase like him). With regard to what S2S wrote, NFL coaches are arrogant enough to think they can "fix" whatever mental issues physically talented QBs may have, but more often than not, they end up failing. Again, I don't think Montez's issues have been anything like that. He has just taken a little longer to mature that many fans would like, but he looks like he's becoming a real leader in his 4th year in the program.

Yep, I think there's a lot of arrogance involved not only with the coaches, but also with the scouts and GMs.

Yep, I think there's a lot of arrogance involved not only with the coaches, but also with the scouts and GMs.

Arrogance and fear. Some of them are afraid to make a mistake so they want a decision they can justify with measurables.

If the guy checks all the boxes for size and speed and arm strength (an he was a big winner in college) then if he is a bust they feel like they can explain it away.

It seems like every year you get some guy (not necessarily a QB) who jumps up a few rounds, sometimes even into the first, based on his combine numbers who wasn't an impact player in college and who usually doesn't justify his draft position in the pros but he looked great in shorts for the scouts.

Like none of you have ever dated a bat $hit crazy hot chick, and thought, "I can fix her"? :ROFLMAO:
I met a girl in SoCal when I was right at the moment where I felt like I needed to grow up and think about settling down. She was:
1) From Colorado
2) Loved beer
3) Worked out regularly and was fit
4) Loved football
5) Had a good job
6) Had a good sense of humor

I decided on the spot that I was in love and would make it my last serious relationship. Completely ignored every bat **** crazy thing about her and her family. It took me 6 months to realize the error of my ways. I'm just glad I did figure it out as we were discussing moving in together.

Any surprise she showed up unannounced at my house at 10pm on a Saturday night a month after we broke up when I had company? I'm thankful I was "a dick" and did not answer the door.

I met a girl in SoCal when I was right at the moment where I felt like I needed to grow up and think about settling down. She was:
1) From Colorado
2) Loved beer
3) Worked out regularly and was fit
4) Loved football
5) Had a good job
6) Had a good sense of humor

I decided on the spot that I was in love and would make it my last serious relationship. Completely ignored every bat **** crazy thing about her and her family. It took me 6 months to realize the error of my ways. I'm just glad I did figure it out as we were discussing moving in together.

Any surprise she showed up unannounced at my house at 10pm on a Saturday night a month after we broke up when I had company? I'm thankful I was "a dick" and did not answer the door.
Disrespect the Matrix at your own peril.

hqdefault.jpg

And guys like Ryan Leaf (not saying that Montez is a headcase like him). With regard to what S2S wrote, NFL coaches are arrogant enough to think they can "fix" whatever mental issues physically talented QBs may have, but more often than not, they end up failing. Again, I don't think Montez's issues have been anything like that. He has just taken a little longer to mature than many fans would like, but he looks like he's becoming a real leader in his 4th year in the program.

Montez might have taken a while to mature, but the lightswitch was sure flipped. It's like night and day. Also, FWIW I think he's got great football IQ and is a really good decision maker. I don't see him as having any mental issues or issues with coachability.

Montez might have taken a while to mature, but the lightswitch was sure flipped. It's like night and day. Also, FWIW I think he's got great football IQ and is a really good decision maker. I don't see him as having any mental issues or issues with coachability.

Agreed.

Montez has apparently made some big steps in terms of maturity, a great sign for him and us.

Now that he is taking a mature approach he still has a lot to learn about the mental and emotional approach to playing QB. It would be hard for him to turn down 1st round money but if he isn't going to get that right away spending an extra year with a solid QB coach could earn him a lot more in the long run.

Montez has apparently made some big steps in terms of maturity, a great sign for him and us.

Now that he is taking a mature approach he still has a lot to learn about the mental and emotional approach to playing QB. It would be hard for him to turn down 1st round money but if he isn't going to get that right away spending an extra year with a solid QB coach could earn him a lot more in the long run.
Mtn has spoken.

fe91a3dc38b1981226c5c025fc759674.350x233x228.gif

He definitely seems to be doing a better job of pre-snap reads but he still seems to hold the ball too long or take too much time through his reads. No questioning the arm strength and he runs well when needed. His progress has been impressive since last year

What I’ve seen from him is when the defense does what it supposed to according to chalkboard football, he knows exactly where to go. It’s when the defense mixes it up he struggles.

What I’ve seen from him is when the defense does what it supposed to according to chalkboard football, he knows exactly where to go. It’s when the defense mixes it up he struggles.
That's actually true for almost every QB ever. There's a reason why QBs get better with experience: they've simply seen more. But even great QBs get thrown off by something they've never seen before.

At the end of the day, the QB, or his coach, needs to be able to quickly diagnose what a defense is doing and know how to counter it. Their speed of doing that is what separates the good from the great.

Very, very few QBs can do it on their own on the field over the course of a few plays.

The vast majority of them (even in the no fun league) need to have a coach talk them through what the defense is doing - with pictures - and then they can, and do adjust.

The really good QBs can do that on the sideline, during the game. Many (most even, especially in college) need a few days and practices to really see it and adapt.

Here's the thing though: you need both the coach and the QB to be good at this diagnoses and adaption, with good communication between them.

I don't know if Montez really didn't "get" this last year, and something clicked, or if Lindgren wasn't good at in - game diagnosis, communication, or both. But he's been a lot faster in his adjustments this year.

Montez is a year older and has shown more maturity in other stuff too, but he also has Roper on the sideline to talk him through things. My money is that it's a combination of all of the above.

I always had the sneaky suspicion that Lindgren was one of the absolute best at diagnosing film and figuring out how to effectively counter a defense Sunday through Friday, but on Saturdays his diagnoses, adjustments and/or his ability to communicate them to his QB wasn't exactly a strength.

That's actually true for almost every QB ever. There's a reason why QBs get better with experience: they've simply seen more. But even great QBs get thrown off by something they've never seen before.

At the end of the day, the QB, or his coach, needs to be able to quickly diagnose what a defense is doing and know how to counter it. Their speed of doing that is what separates the good from the great.

Very, very few QBs can do it on their own on the field over the course of a few plays.

The vast majority of them (even in the no fun league) need to have a coach talk them through what the defense is doing - with pictures - and then they can, and do adjust.

The really good QBs can do that on the sideline, during the game. Many (most even, especially in college) need a few days and practices to really see it and adapt.

Here's the thing though: you need both the coach and the QB to be good at this diagnoses and adaption, with good communication between them.

I don't know if Montez really didn't "get" this last year, and something clicked, or if Lindgren wasn't good at in - game diagnosis, communication, or both. But he's been a lot faster in his adjustments this year.

Montez is a year older and has shown more maturity in other stuff too, but he also has Roper on the sideline to talk him through things. My money is that it's a combination of all of the above.

I always had the sneaky suspicion that Lindgren was one of the absolute best at diagnosing film and figuring out how to effectively counter a defense Sunday through Friday, but on Saturdays his diagnoses, adjustments and/or his ability to communicate them to his QB wasn't exactly a strength.
Difference is he struggled to read chalkboard defense last year. More of a gunslinger. He’s much better this year.

Montez isn’t going to run this offense anywhere in the NFL, outside of maybe Andy Reid, Doug Pederson, and Matt Nagy, but Montez isn’t going to one of those teams, so I’m not sure an extra year really does all that much for him. You could argue that he would mature a little more and get better study habits, but outside of that, I think his time is better off spent with NFL coaches, repping against NFL defenses, and watching NFL film.

One addition that seems true of both college and pro QBs. We often see that the second year as a starter is a bit tougher than the first. Defensive Coordinators are good at their jobs. Once they have film and time to really analyze it, they are able to take away the stuff that was most easy for a young QB and throw more of what he struggled with at him. The good QBs are able to adjust. The ones with limited games or poor film study habits end up being flashes in the pan.

Montez, I thought, passed a big test on that against Nebraska. They pressed his receivers, loaded the box to not give him a supporting run game, didn't allow him to scramble out of the pocket, and brought a lot of pressure. Instead of rushing throws, forcing an interception, or getting frustrated, he stood tall in the pocket and picked them apart for 350 yards. He couldn't have done that in 2017.

Last edited:
Back