What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Multi-year Contract Commitments + 2019 Coaching Staff

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Mike MacIntyre -- $10.3M paid in monthly installments through 2021. Contract details. If MM obtains a job as a HC in college football or any coaching job in the NFL, his salary from that position is offset against anything owed by CU.

Assistants:

LINK

On Thursday, the CU Board of Regents voted 7-1 to approve the contracts for 20 coaches, including 10 football assistants.

Below I have edited what those contracts are and have edited to subtract 1 year since the 2018 season is over and the contract year is about ended. I'll cross out the assistants as they are hired elsewhere (or if their contracts have expired). If they are retained, I'll edit to make note of that.

D.J. Eliot, Def. Coordinator 2 years on 3 year deal signed in 2017 $700,000 (1 year left) - now DC at Kansas
Darrin Chiaverini, Co-OC/WRs 3 years $500,000 (2 years left) - retained
Klayton Adams, Co-OC/OL 3 years $400,000 (2 years left) - not retained, not hired yet
Gary Bernardi, Tight ends 1 year $311,000 - ????
Kurt Roper, Quarterbacks 2 years $300,000 (1 year left) - now QB coach at NC State
ShaDon Brown, Safeties 2 years $260,000 (1 year left) - now S coach at Louisville
Ross Els, Linebackers 2 years $250,000 (1 year left) - retained
Ashley Ambrose, Cornerbacks 2 years $232,200 (1 year left) - not retained, not hired yet
Drew Wilson, Strength & Cond. 3 years $220,000 (2 years left) - believed to be retained
Kwahn Drake, Defensive line 2 years $200,000 (1 year left) - now DL coach at Kansas
Darian Hagan, Running backs 2 years $200,000 (1 year left) - retained

2019 Coach Salaries

Mel Tucker, Head Coach (reported as 5 years, $14.75M to be approved by Board of Regents - details to be added once final contract approved & reported)
Jay Johnson, OC & QB coach, salary TBD
Tyson Summers, DC & S coach, salary TBD
Darrin Chiaverini, RC & WR coach, 2 years @ $500k per year
Darian Hagan, RB coach, 1 year @ $200k
Ross Els, ILB coach, 1 year @ $250k
Chris Kapilovic, OL coach & Run Game Coordinator, salary TBD
Jimmy Brumbaugh, DL coach, salary TBD

Drew Wilson, Strength & Cond. 2 years @ $220k

Last edited:
Howell just tweeted that the assistants have basic offset language, too.

So, for example, if Eliot were to take an assistant coach job that paid him $500k a year then CU would still owe him $200k a year. As our assistants who don't get retained find new jobs, I'll update with their new contract info and the amount it looks like CU still owes after the offsets are applied.

Let me guess it was Kroll that voted against the contracts?

Howell just tweeted that the assistants have basic offset language, too.

So, for example, if Eliot were to take an assistant coach job that paid him $500k a year then CU would still owe him $200k a year. As our assistants who don't get retained find new jobs, I'll update with their new contract info and the amount it looks like CU still owes after the offsets are applied.

Eliot did a good job this year-best of luck to him in the DC gig Howell is referencing-one would think we'd owe him very little money if anything.

There seems to be some backing to the idea that this Ole Miss contract will offset what CU owes MacIntyre. Hoping to see something official on this.

As it stands right now, we have two coaches confirmed who are staying with the Buffs - Chev and Wilson....correct?
Chev for sure.

Wilson was in that BDC article as coming back, but until we see something from CU or Wilson I hesitate to call it "confirmed".

Brian Howell just made a great point: DJ Eliot was never fired by CU. He is still under contract. So he is choosing to leave for another job and CU owes him nothing regardless of his new salary contract. Crossing him off. :cool:

Yeah I hadn't considered this as a possibility but it sure helps us from eating a lot of buyout money from the assistants now that we have more long-term contracts.

With Chev and possibly Drew Wilson staying aboard that only leaves Adams' contract as the lone one running thru 2020; and the only other one with decent money left. We can only hope he "quits" as well and finds something somewhere. If he doesn't, wow that would be a statement that would be hard not to see as confirmation of our frustration.

Brian Howell just made a great point: DJ Eliot was never fired by CU. He is still under contract. So he is choosing to leave for another job and CU owes him nothing regardless of his new salary contract. Crossing him off. :cool:

Can we assume Kurt Roper has another job lined up too?

I would think this would be the case for all of the old assistants with the exception of Adams if rumors of him already being gone are true.

Maybe that is the delay in announcing new guys is that Rick doesn't want to fire guys he knows are leaving? It seems likely that the entire D is following Eliot or MM.

As for Ole Miss, there is some gray area in MM's contract language. But there's no way they can pay him way below market and not have that challenged as well. Especially if they offered the job already to the Bama guy.

Looks that way. I didn't expect him to have any trouble finding a good job, though.
Sam Noyer put up an Instagram story saying something along the lines of "Thanks for everything Coach Rope, you were the best coach I ever played for and an even better person." My guess is that he's told the players he's gone.

Edit: just saw the story posted in another thread, apologies.

Last edited:
Sam Noyer put up an Instagram story saying something along the lines of "Thanks for everything Coach Rope, you were the best coach I ever played for and an even better person. My guess is that he's told the players he's gone.
I agree. I have also heard that Adams cleaned out his office upon returning from the Cal game (and he took CU off his twitter a while ago). Also, Brown has removed all CU stuff from his twitter and even blocked Ziskin last night (fan correspondent for 247 who hadn't said anything negative about Brown - actually called him his favorite coach on the staff).

In sum:

Eliot - gone, looks like KU DC job
Roper - gone, have heard potential for SMU and even heard a mention about the Austin Peay HC job
Adams - gone, no rumors that I've seen
Brown - gone, no rumors that I've seen
Drake - no info yet
Ambrose - no info yet
Els - no info yet
Bernardi - assumed that he won't be re-hired (contract's up)
Chev - retained
Hagan - looks as though he has been retained
Wilson (S&C) - looks as though he has been retained

Jay Johnson - reportedly our new Offensive Coordinator/ QB Coach. QC-Offense at UGA the past 2 years after a successful 2016 season as Minnesota's OC/QB and several years with a top offense at Louisiana as OC/QB.

With Eliot hired, we now need to see Roper, Adams, Brown and Ambrose get jobs.

Added in Tyson Summers as DC. Based on his resume, he seems most likely to coach safeties.

Back