What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA FB games too long?

No. Some argument to shortening half time to the NFL'S 12 minutes, but I disagree as the halftime shows are a key component of the pageantry of CFB. And I can buy beer at Folsom during half time.

Now way on the clock stoppage after the first down. It makes the games much more exciting when all you need is a first down to stop the clock at the end of games/half.

And it is a problem. College games are too long. I'd like them to be closer to 3 rather than 3.5 hours.

I watched some games that took nearly 4 hours to complete and that's just stupid.

More football is better for me. However, it does get to a point where you have to have a stoppage for everything that people start losing interest in the sport.

More football is better for me. However, it does get to a point where you have to have a stoppage for everything that people start losing interest in the sport.

Is it really more football when the games are simply longer? They're still 60 minutes.

Is it really more football when the games are simply longer? They're still 60 minutes.
No. To me its being at the game a little longer or being able to watch the game just a little bit longer. However, it comes a point where it just detracts from the sport in general, IMO.

Can we just call it incomplete passes as that's what it essentially is?
I'm not sure. We'd have to see the numbers, but there's rarely more than one "down it to stop the clock" during an NFL game

I'm not sure. We'd have to see the numbers, but there's rarely more than one "down it to stop the clock" during an NFL game

Incomplete passes stop the clock. It's no coincidence that spread teams like Baylor or Texas Tech average the longest game times.

Incomplete passes stop the clock. It's no coincidence that spread teams like Baylor or Texas Tech average the longest game times.
Gotcha now, sorry, missed where you were going for a moment there

I'm for moving towards the NFL clock rules where the clock doesn't stop on first downs and the two minute warning. I like the idea of games being up to three hours long not more. That's why I started to drift towards basketball the last few years.

I wouldn't be opposed to some tweaks here and there. The Rose Bowl was great but damn, it seemed to last a year.

The game times definitely should come down. The NFL actually needs to end their games before 3.5 hours because of tv contracts, but even their average game time had been rapidly climbing. No game should ever take more than that, yet we see 4+ hour games multiple times a year at the college level. In terms of long term viability for the sport, this is an issue.

Texas Tech and Washington Stank should only get 3 downs from here on out. They can appeal via mail.

The game times definitely should come down. The NFL actually needs to end their games before 3.5 hours because of tv contracts, but even their average game time had been rapidly climbing. No game should ever take more than that, yet we see 4+ hour games multiple times a year at the college level. In terms of long term viability for the sport, this is an issue.

Agreed about the time being a long term issue. I hardly watched other teams play this recent year because I don't have the time to watch others play. Next season, it's going to be the Buffs only in football. That's why basketball games are becoming attractive and I might be getting back into hockey since they are about 2 1/2 hours each.

And baseball games are three hours long.

If we're talking about live games, I have no issue with extending the experience and letting it draw out.

For games on TV, DVR technology is the solution. It takes me about 2 hours to watch a game.

For the Rose Bowl, I watched the first 3:15 at a bar Downtown. Drove home to South Denver and still caught almost the entire 4th quarter. That's a bit excessive.

I don't understand the review rules anymore. Without knowing better, it just seems like the refs are checking themselves on every 50/50 play at this point. Start there.

Back