What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA FB games too long?

The major offender is the commercials. I notice that was the first thing mentioned in the article as something that couldn't be touched.

As per typical fashion, here in America we don't deal directly with the problem. Everything else has to be disrupted to accommodate for the problem.

The major offender is the commercials. I notice that was the first thing mentioned in the article as something that couldn't be touched.

As per typical fashion, here in America we don't deal directly with the problem. Everything else has to be disrupted to accommodate for the problem.
I don't think the commercials are any more frequent or longer than the NFL, but they have more commercial breaks due to the breaks in the game that are unique to college football.

The clock stoppage after every first down and the fact that every play is subject to an official time out and review, even when a coach doesn't challenge, are the main culprits. Review scoring plays and turnovers only and give the coaches challenges just like the NFL. Otherwise, keep the game moving.

Once the commercial starts though, everyone is locked in for the full duration. I don't get a sense, ever, that official reviews are that obtrusive, truly.

The problem is the number of commercials.

When CU was on the Pac12N it was fine seeing a game. Going to the games that were broadcast nationally were a joke. So many timeouts. It ruins the flow of the game.

Gotta love it when there is a commercial at 4th and 5, a punt for a touch back and another commercial.

Reactions: SBG
Commercials are not the problem, people.

TV commercials have always been around. Pretty simple problem here. Not sure how I feel about the clock stoppage on first downs. I feel it is unique to college, but it is becoming a problem with games screeching close to 4 hours.

TV commercials have always been around. Pretty simple problem here. Not sure how I feel about the clock stoppage on first downs. I feel it is unique to college, but it is becoming a problem with games screeching close to 4 hours.
The only time the clock stoppage at 1st down matters or is paid attention to, is near the end of the half or game when teams are trying to score quickly. So keep that rule inside of 2 minutes of the half and 4Q and call it good. Reports are saying that coaches and conference leaders all agree that games are too long but nobody knows what to do. I don't understand what's so hard about this proposition. Some are advocating for 12 minute quarters. ****ing stupid.

Are clock stoppages significant with HU and/or NH offenses? Seems like the ball gets spotted quickly and clock is rolling pretty quickly in a lot of games I watch.

Are clock stoppages significant with HU and/or NH offenses? Seems like the ball gets spotted quickly and clock is rolling pretty quickly in a lot of games I watch.

I don't know how much impact it makes. For fast-paced offenses, it makes about zero difference if they end up being able to get lined up with 25 seconds on the play clock or 20 seconds on the play clock. For slow-paced offenses, it probably shortens the game time since they wouldn't have to waste an extra 5 seconds every play in order to use the whole clock.

Joel Klatt has a vested interest in keeping the number of commercials since he's a broadcaster.

What he did is take the talk of commercials away by talking about the NFL. A common tactic done by people trying to evade talking about the problem directly.

Commercials are a huge ****ing problem in the NFL too.

Only 44 teams in FBS have a completion percentage above 60%. By contrast, 23 NFL teams are above that mark.

Joel Klatt has a vested interest in keeping the number of commercials since he's a broadcaster.

What he did is take the talk of commercials away by talking about the NFL. A common tactic done by people trying to evade talking about the problem directly.

NFL is talking about doing away with the dreaded TD - commercial - XP - commercial - kickoff - commercial sequence.

Only 44 teams in FBS have a completion percentage above 60%. By contrast, 23 NFL teams are above that mark.

That's the big thing. CFB has become pass happy and we're not efficient at it. Seem to be more big plays and more incompletions - which both make games longer.

There plenty of stoppages in the game. Annoys me to no end. I'd rather the clock never stop unless you went OOB and change of possession. Something more fluid to keep the games around 2:30 would be best imo.

Reviews are at least as culpable as commercials. They're interminable and I think officials relish their time in the spotlight and take their time. Something needs to be done about that. Maybe sensors on the ball.

Reviews are at least as culpable as commercials. They're interminable and I think officials relish their time in the spotlight and take their time. Something needs to be done about that. Maybe sensors on the ball.

Centralize reviews like the NHL does?

I think the NFL at least is overdue to use some technical assistance in regards to spotting the ball and whether the ball broke the plane or not. Even soccer does use goalline technology these days and the NFL is usually far more progressive than the ultra conservative soccer community.

Texas Tech, Baylor, Cal and Okie State all Top 25 in the nation in total pass attempts.

That points to high scoring being the main culprit.

Maybe some rules or interpretations that favor the defense would help in college football. For instance, the rules on passes behind the LOS with being able to get blockers downfield ahead of the catch strongly favor the offense. I've seen NFL coaches say that if they had the college rule they'd call screens just about every play.

This is just a lolz worthy post. Klatt is talking about commercials as a direct response to people claiming commercials are the issue. He has been very consistent throughout the year with his ideas to shorten the game. Please tell me how, stopping the clock after every first down and automatically reviewing every play in question are not the direct problem.

Id say it's a combo of both of those things really. A lot of college football games look like a freaking 7 on 7 competition.

This is just a lolz worthy post. Klatt is talking about commercials as a direct response to people claiming commercials are the issue. He has been very consistent throughout the year with his ideas to shorten the game. Please tell me how, stopping the clock after every first down and automatically reviewing every play in question are not the direct problem.

Regarding commercials, I can remember how when the World Cup was first broadcast how much I loved the corporate sponsorships being on the screen as an icon during play instead of having to take breaks from the game to watch advertising.

I would definitely trade commercial breaks for that if it was possible.

As it stands, we've got 60 minutes of actual game action (4 quarters of 15 minutes each). Then we've got the halftime (20 minutes). The we've got natural stoppages when the clock isn't moving after a score or return or change of possession or when the clock stops for an incomplete pass, out of bounds, 1st down or review. That's probably the longest thing and shouldn't be, so I'm all for fixing that.

But even if stoppages account for 80 minutes (decent guess), that still leaves 40 minutes of watching commercial advertising during a 180-minute game. Imagine if we could eliminate almost all of that to only have sponsorship during game action with commercials only seen at halftime & between quarters.

How many minutes does this scenario take?
Team A scores a touchdown. Play goes under review. Commercials. Touchdown is confirmed. Extra point. Commercials. Team "A" kicks off. Team "B' returns. Commercials. Team "B" goes three and out, punt. Commercials. Watching a game live the teams do way to much standing around waiting for the tv commercial guy give the refs the go ahead to resume the game. Do we need to have so many commercial breaks? This drives me nuts. Now with teams scoring so much anymore this happens so much more than the old days of running the ball 80% of the game.

Also how about shortening halftime. 20 minutes is too long.

I don't mind the long games but I can understand the conferences and schools not wanting games to drag out because that will start to turn people off. Less commercials isn't really an option because that's where the schools are getting most of their money from.

I agree that the 20-minute halftimes should stay in place for the college tradition. Instead just keep the clock running after incomplete passes, it doesn't have to be right away even, maybe after a 10-second delay wait until the clock starts. And also cut down on the length of reviews by just putting a time limit on them. If they can't come to a decision in say 2 minutes then just stick with the original call. Pretty simple really. If a reversal call can't be made within 2 minutes then it obviously wasn't clear-cut enough to overturn anyway.

I wouldn't like to run the clock after an incomplete pass. Meet it in the middle and have a limit on when it'll start. The review I definitely agree with, make a ****ing decision. First part, we are kinda in agreement. I'd say 15 though.

Back