What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NEW: Regents Meeting, Benson Decision, Investigation Report -- Monday, 6/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Benson part of the issue? I know a couple years ago he was talking about RG being the best in the country, and he loved MacIntyre

C'mon. Benson could have been in front of this five or six months ago.

The regents basically told him to do the University's dirty work. He could have spearheaded a response to this before it festered. Thus far, his leadership has been behind the scenes or absent.

The president has largely been silent thus far on this topic. It will be really interesting to finally hear his comments about A) having the backs of his talented employees; B) his commitment to sustained excellence for athletics; and C) Doing what is fair and right to address issues of domestic violence on campus and within our communities.

Benson is a big friend to the AD.

Yep. He donated something like $7M to the program and very well could be the biggest donor ever.

Being a friend and being a leader aren't always synonymous. We'll find out a lot more when he speaks publically about this situation.

If your definition of leadership is regular sound bites in the press, Benson is not your guy.

He has done a lot for the AD beyond the donations.

If your definition of leadership is regular sound bites in the press, Benson is not your guy.

He has done a lot for the AD beyond the donations.

You are right about Benson not being a regular sound bite kind of guy.

Beyond his generous personal donation, there also is his willingness to hire Rick George and plow the way for the Champions Center and other athletic facilities to be built. Getting into the Pac-12 is also huge.

That doesn't excuse or negate the fact that Benson has been silent for six months, and causing anxiety amongst the fan base and uncertainty amongst his key leadership for a prolonged period.

As the head of Colorado's largest employer, being able to effectively communicate comes with the territory.

Last edited by a moderator:
When a regent uses the press to criticize the AD, the apoplectic reaction on this board is palpable. But I guess if Benson were to come out with a strong defense of the AD, that is much more appropriate and acceptable.

When a regent uses the press to criticize the AD, the apoplectic reaction on this board is palpable. But I guess if Benson were to come out with a strong defense of the AD, that is much more appropriate and acceptable.

I don't think a strong defense is even required. Simply making some kind of statement of any kind would be preferable to silence.

With two of his direct reports involved, he's on the hot seat.

It's about to be water under the bridge. We'll be hearing from him soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
SIAP new DP update:

Following the session, the school is expected to release two reports. One will document the investigation by Cozen O’Connor, the Philadelphia-based law firm that was hired to review whether athletic director Rick George, head football coach Mike MacIntyre and chancellor Phil DiStefano violated school policies by failing to report the domestic violence accusations. The other report is by WilmerHale and details the actions the university intends to take as a result of Cozen O’Connor’s investigation.

After an independent investigation was completed and he was able to consult with staff and outside counsel. That seat is scorching.

Why no comment? No way to stop the leaker if she can stay anonymous.

Too much secrecy around those who dislike athletics, but are employed by or affiliated with the university has been a problem for years. It gives them cover to continue to undermine the AD.

What news was leaked? I feel like I missed something.

I just hope next time that Benson publicly jumps into an ongoing investigation to make grandstanding public statements.

I just hope next time that Benson publicly jumps into an ongoing investigation to make grandstanding public statements.

Maybe an understated, calm, and levelheaded form of grandstanding.

Something along the lines of "no matter where the facts of this investigation leads us, CU remains committed to the dual goals of sustained excellence within the athletic department and doing what's right in the ongoing battle against domestic violence in our workplace and on our campuses."

Crazy talk, right?

Benson isn't at risk - but he will be retiring very, very soon.
That's what I'm worried about. I fear another anti AD prez. Support among the Regents appears to be tenuous at best. An anti AD President could tilt the table. Luckily, the capital investments made under Benson and RG would make it difficult for even an anti AD type to do something that would hurt the program. But if we, for instance, lose skiing as an NCAA sanctioned sport, we'll need strength and wisdom moving forward because we will have to invest in new scholarship sports.

Last edited:
Maybe an understated, calm, and levelheaded form of grandstanding.

Something along the lines of "no matter where the facts of this investigation leads us, CU remains committed to the dual goals of sustained excellence within the athletic department and doing what's right in the ongoing battle against domestic violence in our workplace and on our campuses."

Crazy talk, right?

Big time leadership there.

PR department may have learned something, waiting to release the reports until just about the time everyone will be engrossed with the Warriors winning an NBA championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back