What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

No USC game thread yet?

"if the buffs escape". these guys are horrible. we've lead the whole way you dick and they aren't making up 9 pts in 40 seconds..

Nice road win. Happy it wasn't the nail biter that I was expecting. Hold serve at home and I'll be a lot less nervous about the final 3 road games.

6pm starts have been complained about numerous times on here

Fine. But there's a huge difference between 6pm and 9pm. How's about 7pm on weekdays and no later than 8pm on Saturdays? I know TV is the ruling entity here, but c'mon ... if you make it difficult for the fans (speaking for us older folks, who like me have loyally attended games since the Chauncey era) to attend games and still get home at a reasonable hour, how often are you going to fill up your arena, or sell out your season ticket allotment? There are other considerations here than TV.

Fine. But there's a huge difference between 6pm and 9pm. How's about 7pm on weekdays and no later than 8pm on Saturdays? I know TV is the ruling entity here, but c'mon ... if you make it difficult for the fans (speaking for us older folks, who like me have loyally attended games since the Chauncey era) to attend games and still get home at a reasonable hour, how often are you going to fill up your arena, or sell out your season ticket allotment? There are other considerations here than TV.

Yep. It pisses me off that I won't be able to go to the game (already gave away my tickets). I have to get up for work at 5:30 am, and I wouldn't get home from the game until midnight. That's not something I can handle on a Wednesday.

It's a huge game. East Coast schools deal with 9 (and even 930) games quite regularly. If our fans don't show up for our 3rd biggest home game because it starts at 9 then we've got a wine and cheese fan base on par with Stanford.

And oddly enough this stuff is done around TV. Not every game can start 7:30. Plus a 6 PM start means it's 8 PM for the east coast audience.

i do admire and appreciate your loyalty to Cu hoops, but in this day and age TV is the only consideration.

i do admire and appreciate your loyalty to Cu hoops, but in this day and age TV is the only consideration.
Well said, everything is dictated by TV. If you want to go back to the Big 12 days where not everything got televised, then CU could schedule more 7 PM starts.

gallery_1_1_11337.jpg

It's a huge game. East Coast schools deal with 9 (and even 930) games quite regularly. If our fans don't show up for our 3rd biggest home game because it starts at 9 then we've got a wine and cheese fan base on par with Stanford.

As one who lived the majority of his life in the eastern time zone (21 years in NJ and PA and 23 in MI) ... I can safely attest that the circadian clock is different vis-à-vis the central and mountain zones. How else do you explain the fact that in the eastern zone the network programming ends and the local news starts at 11pm, whereas here in the Mountain (and Central) zones it's 10pm? That hour makes a difference (you may notice this during the ridiculous thing known as the change from and to DST).

So comparing start times on the east coast to those in the west is unconvincing, to say the least.

And oddly enough this stuff is done around TV. Not every game can start 7:30. Plus a 6 PM start means it's 8 PM for the east coast audience.

And a 9pm MST start means an 11pm start "for the east coast audience." How many CBB fans there are going to tune into that?

And a 9pm MST start means an 11pm start "for the east coast audience." How many CBB fans there are going to tune into that?

Not trolling you here, genuinely interested to hear your opinion as somebody who has lived on the east coast and a longtime cu bball supporter. What's the ideal TV start time for CU? Does that coincide and impact TV? And if so to what degree?

I was actually arguing the whole 6 PM is too early. Those 11 PM starts especially on week nights aren't designed for east coast eyeballs. Really your complaining is a bit much like I said, not every game can start around 7:30. Like Cville said, plenty of east coast games start at 9 PM. You're at the mercy of the TV networks. Would you prefer the games weren't televised and not televised to something better than the Pac-12 Network?

Re the "resume" for the Buffs ESPNU just flashed: How the **** is @ Washington a "bad loss" when we lost our best player and court leader just before halftime of that game? :bang:

Washington is not a bad loss. Their RPI is in the 80s. It points to the strength of the CU resume that this is the "worst loss" the team has taken all season.

As one who lived the majority of his life in the eastern time zone (21 years in NJ and PA and 23 in MI) ... I can safely attest that the circadian clock is different vis-à-vis the central and mountain zones. How else do you explain the fact that in the eastern zone the network programming ends and the local news starts at 11pm, whereas here in the Mountain (and Central) zones it's 10pm? That hour makes a difference (you may notice this during the ridiculous thing known as the change from and to DST).

So comparing start times on the east coast to those in the west is unconvincing, to say the least.

How is a 9 start in the East any different than Colorado? We get plenty of 9 games in the East and tv is the reason for both. Colorado isn't being bullied, a 9 start isn't remotely unusual.

Washington is not a bad loss. Their RPI is in the 80s. It points to the strength of the CU resume that this is the "worst loss" the team has taken all season.
I think ESPN was just UW as their "worst loss," but it was labeled in the template thing as a "bad loss."

I was actually arguing the whole 6 PM is too early. Those 11 PM starts especially on week nights aren't designed for east coast eyeballs. Really your complaining is a bit much like I said, not every game can start around 7:30. Like Cville said, plenty of east coast games start at 9 PM. You're at the mercy of the TV networks. Would you prefer the games weren't televised and not televised to something better than the Pac-12 Network?

Sorry if I misunderstood the point you were making. I'm just making the point that there is a reasonable middle point between a start time that is too early for those who actually want to attend games during the week (yes ... 6pm is too early, but 7pm?).

If you get off of work at 5, you can easily get to the game from Denver or the suburbs with time to meet friends at the DH or Harpo's etc. and still get to the game. But a 9pm start during the week ... as Goonie said, those who have to get up at a fairly early hour for work can't handle that.

Hell ... I'm semi-retired, and don't have to worry about getting up early. What I'm concerned about is how many fans who would otherwise be there on Wednesday may not show because of the ridiculous start time, and how that will affect the team, the overall atmosphere, and also any prospective recruits who may be watching. And I don't even know how it may affect student attendance.

Sorry if I misunderstood the point you were making. I'm just making the point that there is a reasonable middle point between a start time that is too early for those who actually want to attend games during the week (yes ... 6pm is too early, but 7pm?).

If you get off of work at 5, you can easily get to the game from Denver or the suburbs with time to meet friends at the DH or Harpo's etc. and still get to the game. But a 9pm start during the week ... as Goonie said, those who have to get up at a fairly early hour for work can't handle that.

Hell ... I'm semi-retired, and don't have to worry about getting up early. What I'm concerned about is how many fans who would otherwise be there on Wednesday may not show because of the ridiculous start time, and how that will affect the team, the overall atmosphere, and also any prospective recruits who may be watching. And I don't even know how it may affect student attendance.
7 PM is ideal as well, 8 isn't bad so bad either but you can't confine the starts to a one-hour window. And CU certainly isn't in a position like UCLA or UofA is, where they are going to be the prime west coast game.

Btw, we knew this going into the Pac-12 that it would be geared more towards the PST as opposed to the CST of the Big 12.

Other than the KU game, the fans haven't been great by any measure as we've discussed multiple times here. I have a hard time see that starting at 7:30 would've been much better. As students still have finals, it's still too cold, or whatever other excuse they can come up with.

They also aren't playing weekday baseball games like they used to... TV rules all sports, not just college basketball.

Again, it's pretty standard to have games at 9. We aren't some victim of a new radical injustice. ACC, SEC, Big East teams play at 9 all the time...and yes, it's for big games.​

BPI is irrelevant outside of an ESPN broadcast or article. The question becomes whether ESPN is so hyper-relevant that it makes BPI relevant. For those who care, BPI values who you beat more than playing good teams and doesn't put as much value on avoiding bad losses. It also includes margin of victory as a component, so teams like Oregon that won in a bunch of early blowouts get more valued.

From an RPI standpoint, CU's resume is very strong. No bad losses. Only 2-6 against the RPI Top 50. But then 7-1 against RPI 51-100 and 10-0 against the rest of the schedule (and only 3 of those 10 wins against RPIs 200+).

The NCAA Selection Committee only looks at RPI and does not consider BPI, KenPom, Sagarin or any other computer rank. Based on RPI, if the brackets were set today CU would most likely get somewhere between a 7 and 9 seed. Unless the committee harshly penalized the Buffs for being post-Spencer, in which case we could see 10 or worse. But the Buffs are in and aren't a bubble team unless they collapse over the last 6 games (5 regular season + Pac-12 tourney opener).

Final 5 games:

ASU (RPI 28)
UA (RPI 2)
@Utah (RPI 92)
@Stan (RPI 48)
@Cal (RPI 45)

Unless Utah drops, there's not an opportunity for a "bad' loss. And every game is an opportunity for a quality win.

Back