What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Line

Looking to 2019 for the OL group and here is my kind of educated assessment. I admit I am not an OL guru, but going through the roster of returning players in this group and with the experience returning, and hopefully some key guys (Moretti, Ray, Lynott) get back to as close to 100% as possible, it could be a solid group. Thoughts?

Probable Starting Options - 2019
Sherman - Going through a trial by fire this year, but going to be a stud
Moretti - Hopefully the staff takes him out of the bubble wrap
Pursell - Another younger guy getting valuable experience and should get better
Lynott - Senior who should be back to 100% healthy and hungry to make some noise for his NFL prospects
Fillip - Very excited to see how he progresses from year one to year two
Haigler - Senior with a ton of experience
Ray - Aside from Moretti, the highest rated kid coming out of HS. If he's 100% healthy, could change a lot in this group
Tonz - Hopefully is a depth piece next season as a Senior unless he just makes a huge leap

Depth Pieces - 2019
Roddick - Has he lost enough weight yet? Listed at 340, so I'd say he needs to get down to about 310-315 if he wants to factor into the two deep
Kutsch - Decent size
Lytle - The biggest OL on the team at 6'7" 315. Is he just a body, or do we think he can play at some point?
Paige - He's probably a depth piece for his career at CU, but who knows?
Jynes - Depth piece unless he surprises everyone
Vaughn - Is he going to factor into the two deep at some point?

True Frosh - 2019
A. Johnson - 2-3 years from when he steps into the program probably
Wiley - Possible GS candidate? 2-3 years from when he steps into the program probably
CamRon Johnson - Most potential in the class? Maybe a kid who could push for the two deep as a True Frosh? Most likely a RS Freshman factor.
Senn - Another high potential, but developmental guy. Non-factor for a few years.

We are going to see some attrition at the OL this off season I would think. If Ray and Moretti come back ready to play in 2019 then it should be a pretty solid group. Pursell, Sherman and Fillip should all take some big steps. Haigler and Lynott are solid upperclassmen. I would say they Wiley should greyshirt but the two Johnsons should push for time pretty quickly since they are solid physically. We should know fairly early on those two. The other two are going to take some time.

We are going to see some attrition at the OL this off season I would think. If Ray and Moretti come back ready to play in 2019 then it should be a pretty solid group. Pursell, Sherman and Fillip should all take some big steps. Haigler and Lynott are solid upperclassmen. I would say they Wiley should greyshirt but the two Johnsons should push for time pretty quickly since they are solid physically. We should know fairly early on those two. The other two are going to take some time.
Who do you see as attrition candidates?

Defeated's OL breakdown left me feeling defeated. Not a lot of excitement to be found there other than hoping guys come back from big injuries.

That's what worries me most about Moretti, hell, can he even get to 100%? I hope he can or get close to it.

Defeated's OL breakdown left me feeling defeated. Not a lot of excitement to be found there other than hoping guys come back from big injuries.
Should be quite a bit better than this year.

Tackles: Haigler, Sherman and Fillip
Guards: Lynott, Ray, Tonz, Moretti and Roddick
Center: Pursell and Lynott.

Looking to 2019 for the OL group and here is my kind of educated assessment. I admit I am not an OL guru, but going through the roster of returning players in this group and with the experience returning, and hopefully some key guys (Moretti, Ray, Lynott) get back to as close to 100% as possible, it could be a solid group. Thoughts?

Probable Starting Options - 2019
Sherman - Going through a trial by fire this year, but going to be a stud
Moretti - Hopefully the staff takes him out of the bubble wrap
Pursell - Another younger guy getting valuable experience and should get better
Lynott - Senior who should be back to 100% healthy and hungry to make some noise for his NFL prospects
Fillip - Very excited to see how he progresses from year one to year two
Haigler - Senior with a ton of experience
Ray - Aside from Moretti, the highest rated kid coming out of HS. If he's 100% healthy, could change a lot in this group
Tonz - Hopefully is a depth piece next season as a Senior unless he just makes a huge leap

Depth Pieces - 2019
Roddick - Has he lost enough weight yet? Listed at 340, so I'd say he needs to get down to about 310-315 if he wants to factor into the two deep
Kutsch - Decent size
Lytle - The biggest OL on the team at 6'7" 315. Is he just a body, or do we think he can play at some point?
Paige - He's probably a depth piece for his career at CU, but who knows?
Jynes - Depth piece unless he surprises everyone
Vaughn - Is he going to factor into the two deep at some point?

True Frosh - 2019
A. Johnson - 2-3 years from when he steps into the program probably
Wiley - Possible GS candidate? 2-3 years from when he steps into the program probably
CamRon Johnson - Most potential in the class? Maybe a kid who could push for the two deep as a True Frosh? Most likely a RS Freshman factor.
Senn - Another high potential, but developmental guy. Non-factor for a few years.

If Haigler and Tonz are anything more than depth next year we have failed again.

Need at least two of the young guys you listed as depth pieces to develop at least into solid back-ups. Finally though looks like we will be able to put 5 guys out there who are legit PAC5 level athletes.

Sherman, Pursell, Fillip, and Ray should all benefit a lot from an additional year of S&C.

Also a huge positive going forward is that we are talking about a bunch of guys who are all Fr. this year. That means we aren't going to have to be rebuilding most of the line every season for the next couple years.

I try to internet stalk Grant Polley every now and then. I don't have any updates, but wasn't the thinking that he was going to rejoin the team next year? I get that it's not something to assume....but just throwing it out there. I healthy, bulked up Polley would be nice.

Lytle, Paige, Jynes or Vaughn. Maybe Tonz loses his starting spot and wants to grad transfer somewhere to play more?
I can't see Jynes being asked to leave after just one year in the program, especially with only one true Center on the roster, his backup being a Senior and not incoming Freshman who can play Center.

I can't see Jynes being asked to leave after just one year in the program, especially with only one true Center on the roster, his backup being a Senior and not incoming Freshman who can play Center.
It wouldn't surprise me to see him transfer to be closer to home or something like that, we have seen that happen before. We will see though. The staff rotates a lot of kids at center so they are definitely prepared for it.

If Haigler and Tonz are anything more than depth next year we have failed again.

Need at least two of the young guys you listed as depth pieces to develop at least into solid back-ups. Finally though looks like we will be able to put 5 guys out there who are legit PAC5 level athletes.

Sherman, Pursell, Fillip, and Ray should all benefit a lot from an additional year of S&C.

Also a huge positive going forward is that we are talking about a bunch of guys who are all Fr. this year. That means we aren't going to have to be rebuilding most of the line every season for the next couple years.
Haigler is one of three legitimate Tackle options on this team, and maybe only one of two who actually have the prototypical build for the position. I'm not saying he's a great player, but he'll be older and stronger than a lot of DL he'll face next year and should be able to hold his own, IMO (Think Garrett Bolles as an old Senior at Utah).

I see the "if" there as pretty big though.

recruiting effort needs to improve greatly when it comes to the oline.... how about a jc in this catagory?

recruiting effort needs to improve greatly when it comes to the oline.... how about a jc in this catagory?

For depth purposes wouldn't object but in general not a big fan of going after JCs for OL.

To start with there just aren't that many good ones out there, it isn't like going down to your neighborhood store and grabbing a jug of milk. The number of Juco OL who are ready to contribute at the P5 level is limited. Most of those get pulled in by the big name programs who have imbalance due to attrition or injury.

It is also harder for OL to come in and contribute early. They have to not only learn the offense but also develop coordination with their line-mates. Not a great pay off on bringing in a guy for two years if one is going to spent adjusting.

Just bust butt and go bring in better quality HS kids and build a depth chart. Work to get guys who can contribute for at least 2 or more years.

That's the thing, if you miss on JC's, they get hurt or suck, whatever. You don't have the time to develop them. The high school route is the best way to do it. Maybe a plug and play here and there. It's not a good strategy to build a line though. Dudes that get to play alongside each other pays down the road, gives you some continuity. Think 2001, that sucks, I know.

Last edited:
Every Buff fan in this thread needs to do their duty and start sending emails to Rick George demanding Mac fire Adams.

On the assumption that Adams isn’t the right guy and an end of season coaching change is imminent, what about the OL coach at CSU? They field a pretty stout line most years and seem to do so on a shoestring budget.

20-25% of the team & each recruiting class

OL Coach, after your HC, Coordinators and QB Coach, is the most important staff position to get right

Can Adams get this fixed? Because if he can’t, he needs to be replaced at the end of the season

I agree. In another thread I suggested that Brad Bedell would be a good target. I don't know how well he recruits but he has coached up all conference guys at each one of this stops. He is currently at Boise and making $250k this year.

If VJ and staff get let go at the end of the year, would it make sense for MM to look at Sean Kugler? Broncos current OL coach and Head Coach at UTEP last year. Mostly a career NFL guy but spent 4+ seasons at UTEP.

We will see how the 2019 class ends up, but if there isn’t much change, the 18 and 19 recruiting classes could be an absolute killer for this team in 3-4 years. It very well could be a job killer for MM.

Now, with saying that, “if” they go into the 2019 season healthy at the oline position, it very well could be a strength of the 19 team.

On the assumption that Adams isn’t the right guy and an end of season coaching change is imminent, what about the OL coach at CSU? They field a pretty stout line most years and seem to do so on a shoestring budget.
I don't know if you're going to get Will Friend from Tennessee (he came with Bobo from UGA and took the UT job this year). His whole career and life have been in the south. Friend's replacement isn't doing nearly as well.

Back