What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

So, national signing day is 2 weeks from today and there is complete turmoil throughout the top of CFB in terms of staff changes and shakeups, with Oregon, Arkansas and UTjr without staffs at all. Still some question as to who is going and who is staying at some others, You have Miss St and Florida both in the top 15, but the coach went from one to the other.

There is going to be a huge wave of flopping commitments, surprise signings, etc in the next two weeks. Meanwhile, places like Oregon are trying to hire. They had a top 10 class on paper for a long time, but that vaporware is now gone. I really think a lot of kids sign in December and a lot of kids end up pissed off that they didn't wait to see things sort out. A lot of job changes are coming in January I would think.

You would think all that would benefit us since our staff is pretty much intact?? You would think?

I just mean it is getting out of hand. Just like players skipping games to get ready for the draft, soon coaches will quit coaching half way through a season to prepare for their next "Dream Job". Just like everything else in life - Where has the loyalty gone?

I don't like players skipping games for the draft but I can understand it.

As others have said what is the difference between a coach quitting before the end of the season and a coach being fired before the end of the season.

I'd love it if everything was based on integrity a handshake but that isn't the world we live in. We make contracts and contracts have provisions that allow parties to terminate the contract at a cost.

If you don't want your coach leaving for another job you put the cost of him leaving high enough that he doesn't go. The balance to that is that he is going to want a severe enough penalty to the school so that they don't turn around and fire him before he has had a chance to complete the time stated in the contract. Works both ways.

Pretty sure they weren't playing college football in 1816. Regardless, in today's world people switch jobs and even careers much more frequently than ever before. And that has a lot more to do with employer behavior over the last 50 years than employee behavior. If you're blaming the coaches you're pointing your finger in the wrong direction. This is mostly on the university ADs which are...a reflection of us (the AD supporters).
1869 college football and 1920 nfl

Interesting Christobal is the interim HC at OU and not JMFL. SIAP.
I don't see them going with Leavitt for a couple of reasons. First, he's a defensive coach (Oregon has not had a head coach from the defensive side since Rich Brooks) and second, he would be seen as another flight risk. What happens if KSU opens up next year?

Interesting Christobal is the interim HC at OU and not JMFL. SIAP.

I think people are overstating Leavitt's chances at HC. I'm sure he wants it and I'm sure UO has thought about it but look at their culture and history. If you think about it their whole football team is an example of great marketing. Explosive, innovative offense, great facilities, and awesome uniforms - that is what Oregon football is. Phil Knight is a marketing genius and I just don't see them hiring a defensive coach to run the program. They aren't looking for the next great coach at UO, they are looking for the next great offensive mind. I actually think if Taggert had left earlier they would have gone all-in on Scott Frost just because of this.

I could see Tedford getting some consideration at Oregon, but probably not sexy enough. Cristobal? Risky move. Leavitt has at least won big time as a head coach as has Tedford. Both Tedford and Leavitt have some **** in the closet though.

Not me you have to convince of that, it's the Oregon AD office and they feel pretty burned by what happened with Taggart.
They're not worried about that either. There are probably jobs he would leave for but KSU is not one of them.

Reset Oregon and UT lite are now the only jobs of interest open....

Filled jobs:

fUCLA- They strike hard and fast, grabbing the brass ring and landing Chip Kelly. h/t Jens.
UF- Mullen is in, per ESPN.
Ole Miss- Matt Luke it is. h/t nik. 2 year bowl ban, loss of schollies
MSU- Joey Moorhead, OC at Penn. St. takes over in Starkville. h/t cmgoods
ASU- Herm Edwards. Strange hire. ASU installing an NFL model, run by a the future P12 champ in free association. The P12S cheers this hire. (h/t Jens)
aTm- Jimbo leaves FSU h/t Serenity Buff UPDATE: $7.5 MM a year. He damn well better win.
Oregon St.- Cal OC Beau Baldwin was tapped for the job. h/t nik UPDATE: Washington OC Jonathon Smith nabs the job.
NU- The nubs get their man, Frost it is. (h/t Jens)
UCF- Josh Heupel, fmr. Mizzou OC, with Randy Shannon as DC. (h/t AeroBuff and Jalapeno)
FSU- Taggart leaves the Ducklings. (h/t Serenity Buff and Hokie)
Arky- fmr. SMU HC Chad Morris gets the gig.
Rice- Stanford OC Mike Bloomgren gets the job.

Open jobs:

Kent St.- Paul Haynes out. h/t mdelpizzo
Ga. Southern- Tyson Summers out. Tee Martin has shown interest ( I forget who posted this, so h/t to somebody)
UTEP- Kugler out, Mike Price in for a repeat.
South Alabama- Joey Jones out.
UL-Lafayette- Who knew?

Secondary Market:

Oregon- Uncle Phil will have the sweatshops running OT to pay to replace Taggart. Leavitt?
SMU- Morris leaves for Arky.

In a category all their own:

Tennessee- After enduring Grudcon 1, Rocky Top suffers a case of Grudon dysfunction. Greg Schiano signs a MOU, Vols go absolutely ape**** with legislators, former players, talk show hosts and dog catchers protesting Schiano pedophile allegations. Schiano is told "no thanks" and Schiano's agent, in his best Ray Liotta voice from Goodfellas says "Screw you, pay me." Currie the AD, after having to **** backwards on the issue, is now searching, again. No way Gruden leaves his lofty perch to step in that collective pile of dog doo. Who would? A complete hot mess with a side of vitriol. Fun to watch, unless you are a Vol. Kiffin trolling them mercilessly. Food cart watching the city burn from afar.....UPDATE: Cutcliffe at Duke says no thanks. (h/t Ruckus). Now chasing Mike Gundy, who spurned them in 2012 (h/t Austin Cameron). UPDATE OF THE UPDATE: (h/t Serenity Buff) Mountains of cash being thrown at Gundy, and he is listening, btw, he's a man ya know. UPDATE, COMEDY VERSION: Gundy works UT like an old shoe, only to stay at Okie Lite. h/t cmgoods. No HC search has gone this badly in recent memory. Miles, Morris (h/t Tscheck) Brohm (h/t ahoelsken) are in play. One has to wonder how far down the list UT goes before MikMac is considered. They may truly end up with Dave Logan. No Brohm, despite earlier reports today, (h/r Tscheck, Austin Cameron), on to NCST's Doeren (h/t DuffMan). UPDATE: Doeren a no go. Sumlin reportedly not interested. AD Currie offered Leach, but had the carpet pulled from under him and was fired. Former HC Fulmer now the acting AD. Reports former AD Currie headed to Pullman to take on the WSU AD job. I can't keep up with this. It is an 11 out of 10 at this point. Fulmer rumored to be enamored with Les Miles. Stay tuned. UPDATE: the retread Fulmer (h/t Jens) now at AD looking hard at retread Les Miles. Other names: Chad Morris and Mike Norvell. UPDATE: Tennessee goes quiet for a while....UPDATE: Fulmer looking at Mel Tucker (UGA DC), Steele (Auburn DC) and Jeremy Pruitt (Bammer DC), Les Miles does not appear to be in the running anymore..

Other news:
TCU- Extended GPat trough 2024 h/t nik
TTU- KliffyK safe h/t onealcd
KU- Beaty confirmed to be back next year.
Mizzou- Barry Odom set for extension.
ISU- Campbell signs extension
Auburn- Malzahn signs extension which basically means he is in the clear until next October.
OSU- Gundy gets a $700K raise after jerking UT's chain. (h/t buffs 35)
CU- Brian Lindgren moves on to Oregon St.
Memphis- Norvell signs an extension
Pitt- Narduzzi signs an extension

Please forgive my attempts at humor, this stuff is highly amusing to me.

Last edited:
Morris to Arkansas per footballscoop. Good hire I think. Wished he would have stayed at SMU another year.
Sounded like he really wanted out. Whatever. It’s a good job for a coach on the rise. They should be able to make a good hire.

I have a question for the people who keep using "OU" to reference Oregon. Are you stupid because you don't know that's wrong, or are you stupid because you think it's funny? I'll hang up and listen for answers.

Thanks,
Ruckus

I have a question for the people who keep using "OU" to reference Oregon. Are you stupid because you don't know that's wrong, or are you stupid because you think it's funny? I'll hang up and listen for answers.

Thanks,
Ruckus
drives me nutz 2...don't know who the **** they are talking about.

Back