What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I guess I don't get the joke!
How would you feel going from a P5 school that's consistently really good and challenging for their conference to a G5 team that is mostly very mediocre and rarely competes for their conference?

I give csu props for reaching out to someone from "That Level" we have a knack of going the opposite direction. We aim lower.
That dude did about as bad of a job as you could at FSU with the creatures they have on their team lol. I think there is a reason none of the teams down there went after him as a DC.

That dude did about as bad of a job as you could at FSU with the creatures they have on their team lol. I think there is a reason none of the teams down there went after him as a DC.

FSU was ranked in the top 25 in defense this year so I don't think he did too bad. Most of their issues were on offense. I don't know anything about the guy but he knows he won't be retained by FSU so he is looking for a job. CSU has an opening so they offered him an interview. We don't seem to interview anyone.

So Jimbo, an offensive guy, has had. Lot of recent problems with his offense And also apparently quite a few issues with his existing staff. Some red flags here given the wad of $$$ aTm is going to pay him.

FSU was ranked in the top 25 in defense this year so I don't think he did too bad. Most of their issues were on offense. I don't know anything about the guy but he knows he won't be retained by FSU so he is looking for a job. CSU has an opening so they offered him an interview. We don't seem to interview anyone.

CU finished the year ranked 109 in total defense. What changes could you possibly want them to make?

Reset FINAL, unless something crazy happens during bowl season...

Filled jobs:

fUCLA- They strike hard and fast, grabbing the brass ring and landing Chip Kelly. h/t Jens.
UF- Mullen is in, per ESPN.
Ole Miss- Matt Luke it is. h/t nik. 2 year bowl ban, loss of schollies
MSU- Joey Moorhead, OC at Penn. St. takes over in Starkville. h/t cmgoods
ASU- Herm Edwards. Strange hire. ASU installing an NFL model, run by a the future P12 champ in free association. The P12S cheers this hire. (h/t Jens)
aTm- Jimbo leaves FSU h/t Serenity Buff UPDATE: $7.5 MM a year. He damn well better win.
Oregon St.- Cal OC Beau Baldwin was tapped for the job. h/t nik UPDATE: Washington OC Jonathon Smith nabs the job.
NU- The nubs get their man, Frost it is. (h/t Jens)
UCF- Josh Heupel, fmr. Mizzou OC, with Randy Shannon as DC. (h/t AeroBuff and Jalapeno)
FSU- Taggart leaves the Ducklings. (h/t Serenity Buff and Hokie)
Arky- fmr. SMU HC Chad Morris gets the gig.
Rice- Stanford OC Mike Bloomgren gets the job.
Tennessee- The most amusing search of the year ends. Bammer DC Jeremy Pruitt, with CSU OC Will Friend and Secondary AC Terry Fair in tow.
UTEP- Dana Dimel the new HC. (h/t SerenityBuff)
So. Alabama- Central Arky's Steve Campbell is the man.
Oregon- Uncle Phil hires Mario Christobal as HC. h/t Serenity Buff.
SMU- Hired Sonny Dykes as HC. h/t onealcd

Open jobs:

Kent St.- Paul Haynes out. h/t mdelpizzo
Ga. Southern- Tyson Summers out. Tee Martin has shown interest ( I forget who posted this, so h/t to somebody)
UL-Lafayette- Who knew?
I assume everyone is like me and couldn't care less about who fills these jobs.

Other news:

TCU- Extended GPat trough 2024 h/t nik
TTU- KliffyK safe h/t onealcd
KU- Beaty confirmed to be back next year.
Mizzou- Barry Odom set for extension.
ISU- Campbell signs extension
Auburn- Malzahn signs extension which basically means he is in the clear until next October.
OSU- Gundy gets a $700K raise after jerking UT's chain. (h/t buffs 35)
CU- Brian Lindgren moves on to Oregon St., with Mike Riley as his QB coach, that ought to be fun. (h/t Serenity Buff).
Memphis- Norvell signs an extension
Pitt- Narduzzi signs an extension
Mizzou- former Buff Ryan Walters elevated to DC (h/t Jeric)
UNLV- fmr. Buff DC Baer and secondary coach LaRussa canned (h/t Jeric)
Oregon- Pitching Leavitt hard to stay and not go to FSU.

I guess the Minnesota coach, PJ Fleck, can be exhibit A on proof that a G5 coach can move up to P5, bring his entire staff, and recruit the **** out of it. I think Frost can do the same at NU, although maybe not the same recruiter that Fleck is.

I guess the Minnesota coach, PJ Fleck, can be exhibit A on proof that a G5 coach can move up to P5, bring his entire staff, and recruit the **** out of it. I think Frost can do the same at NU, although maybe not the same recruiter that Fleck is.
Fleck has the huge advantage of having been recruiting the same footprint before. Heck, we saw a big bump with our NoCal recruiting with MM's G5 staff (lots of our best recruits are from the San Jose to Sacramento region).

With Frost, what's going to be interesting is that the Nubs are likely going to be doing a re-set from "CaliBraska" to "FloriBraska". That's a big change.

Fleck made a smart move going to MN with the footprint similarity for recruitment, more realistic expectations, and an already decent team from a talent standpoint. If he ever wins the B1G, he will cement his legacy up there as an all time great Gopher coach!

Fleck's recruiting tactics are pretty intense from what I've heard. He really puts the pressure on. It's worked, but it takes some really dedicated staff members, which he obviously has.

Fleck's recruiting tactics are pretty intense from what I've heard. He really puts the pressure on. It's worked, but it takes some really dedicated staff members, which he obviously has.
He's also a lot more self aware than I expected, based on a couple interviews I've seen. He knows that he's a different sort of cat and that many players don't have the personality to mesh with him. He's very smart about identifying the types of players who will see him as fun/inspirational and avoiding those quiet/cerebral types who are likely to grow to see him as a tool.

He's also a lot more self aware than I expected, based on a couple interviews I've seen. He knows that he's a different sort of cat and that many players don't have the personality to mesh with him. He's very smart about identifying the types of players who will see him as fun/inspirational and avoiding those quiet/cerebral types who are likely to grow to see him as the tool he really is.
fify.

Fleck has the huge advantage of having been recruiting the same footprint before. Heck, we saw a big bump with our NoCal recruiting with MM's G5 staff (lots of our best recruits are from the San Jose to Sacramento region).

With Frost, what's going to be interesting is that the Nubs are likely going to be doing a re-set from "CaliBraska" to "FloriBraska". That's a big change.
While I agree, the Fleck recruit I just saw was a Cali kid. I think Fleck will go anywhere. His other too recruits are from FL, FL, and GA

Tim Brewster was hired at A&M, and he coaches the same position that Jeff Banks coaches (he's the interim coach for the bowl). Would love to break the bank for him

Here's a really good tracker for all the HC and related Coordinator changes in the P5.

At what point will it become a "Weekend at Bernie's" thing on the KSU sideline?

Sadly he will be there until one of the following happens:
1. he dies
2. they fire him
3. they name Sean Snyder has the next head coach

Those are in order of possibilities. I am not sure any KSU people around here want Sean to take over, but I don't think there is any will to fire Bill either.

Bill Snyder is going to hang on until he ruins his legacy.....

They're in a weird situation-they're going to have five gimme wins a season (Snyder's traditional cupcake OOC, Kansas, and **** bailer), but they're probably going to struggle to win conference titles because OU, OSU, and TCU aren't going anywhere, and Tom Herman will have UT competing with those three in a couple years. If he's still getting them to bowls at 7-5 or 8-4 every year, why not let him keep going?

Back