What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Why do we assume that he is only capable of coaching the triple option? The service academies run that offense out of necessity, don’t they? Who says he doesn’t have other ideas about how to run an offense?
Exactly, I would put my money on him adapting to more of a spread option attack.

Why do we assume that he is only capable of coaching the triple option? The service academies run that offense out of necessity, don’t they? Who says he doesn’t have other ideas about how to run an offense?
IDK know if he is or not. If he goes spread, he loses a tactical advantage. OTOH, the spread really is just the next evolution of the triple option concepts. The tactical advantage lies in the blocking angles a more traditional triple option set employs.

I think that Niumatalolo would be a fantastic hire for UofA and that the triple option would be deadly. I would hate to see this happen. UA needs something to help level the field (just like the service academies do). He would make them a thorn in everyone's side.

I think that Niumatalolo would be a fantastic hire for UofA and that the triple option would be deadly. I would hate to see this happen. UA needs something to help level the field (just like the service academies do). He would make them a thorn in everyone's side.
Why do they need something the help level the field, ala service academies? They've averaged 7 wins/year the past 10 seasons under two different head coaches have very few academic hurdles, and live in a decently talent-rich state. If they need to level the playing field, CU does too.

IDK know if he is or not. If he goes spread, he loses a tactical advantage. OTOH, the spread really is just the next evolution of the triple option concepts. The tactical advantage lies in the blocking angles a more traditional triple option set employs.
Pretty sure BillMac said that very thing about the spread.

This guy is so loved by his players, and is as clean cut and methodical as can be. He would not run the Triple Option, but he would keep parts of it in the new offense. Folks, you are going to see Option concepts and the Chip Kelly offense blended together in Lincoln in September!!! Get ready and get used to it, because I believe that Chip Kelly will be using more and more of what Scott Frost has engineered at UCF and will be trying to use at Nebraska. The difference is that UCF and UCLA have the fast dudes to run it. AZ would improve tenfold with Ken N. Please do not do it, was liking the retreads better.

Why do they need something the help level the field, ala service academies? They've averaged 7 wins/year the past 10 seasons under two different head coaches have very few academic hurdles, and live in a decently talent-rich state. If they need to level the playing field, CU does too.

They've done that the hard way, always struggling with recruiting. Just as Utah, WSU and OSU do.

Tucson and the UofA campus is a complete pit. It's full of retired people as well. There is nothing cool about Tucson
They are within a day's drive of Southern Calif hotbeds, and the Phoenix area is growing in recruiting importance.
Boulder is seen by those kids as 10x more attractive than Tucson. One decent year on the field, and we see results. Those others I mentioned don't ever see that bump.
If we averaged 7 wins per season over the last 10 years, things would be much different here.
UofA has always struggled with being seen as a destination spot for recruits.

They've done that the hard way, always struggling with recruiting. Just as Utah, WSU and OSU do.

Tucson and the UofA campus is a complete pit. It's full of retired people as well. There is nothing cool about Tucson
They are within a day's drive of Southern Calif hotbeds, and the Phoenix area is growing in recruiting importance.
Boulder is seen by those kids as 10x more attractive than Tucson.
If we averaged 7 wins per season over the last 10 years, things would be much different here.
UofA has always struggled with being seen as a destination spot for recruits.
All I see here is the campus and city of Tucson suck which doesn't come close to a comparison to the struggles service academies face. UA has the entire pool of kids to recruit from, with no restrictions. The academies are fishing in (possibly?) a smaller and more unique pond than Stanford is... This just sounds like excuse making for a University that resides in a ****ty city.

I think that sort of offense does a good job neutralizing some of the physicality disadvantages Arizona has when going up against teams like USC, Stanford, UW, etc.

I think that sort of offense does a good job neutralizing some of the physicality disadvantages Arizona has when going up against teams like USC, Stanford, UW, etc.
Should CU adopt the triple option in that case? What about Arizona State, Cal, Washington State and Oregon State?

Should CU adopt the triple option in that case? What about Arizona State, Cal, Washington State and Oregon State?
I don't think ASU and Cal have any issues on the recruiting trail so. Washington State has their own system that works but them but I think most of us on this site said OSU should hire him as head coach if they had the chance.

This guy is so loved by his players, and is as clean cut and methodical as can be. He would not run the Triple Option, but he would keep parts of it in the new offense. Folks, you are going to see Option concepts and the Chip Kelly offense blended together in Lincoln in September!!! Get ready and get used to it, because I believe that Chip Kelly will be using more and more of what Scott Frost has engineered at UCF and will be trying to use at Nebraska. The difference is that UCF and UCLA have the fast dudes to run it. AZ would improve tenfold with Ken N. Please do not do it, was liking the retreads better.
I think you have that backwards. Frost didn't engineer jack. What he used at UCF was pretty much Chip's Oregon O.

Does AFA still run the triple option? I haven't watched them over the last few years. If they do, talk to me on Sept. 15, 2019.
Yep. And they're 57-46 this decade in football without a conference championship. 6 bowls in 8 seasons with a 3-3 record in those games. About how I expect UA to perform if they make this hire.

Yep. And they're 57-46 this decade in football without a conference championship. 6 bowls in 8 seasons with a 3-3 record in those games. About how I expect UA to perform if they make this hire.
What would AFA be without it? 17-86 is my number.

What would AFA be without it? 17-86 is my number.
Probably. With smaller OLs and a very low likelihood of finding a QB who can sling it, an option attack makes total sense. Also because it eats clock so that the defense won't get as worn down. I'd run a system like that if I was coaching at a service academy.

To me it is a chicken/egg argument. If you are a team with average-to below average talent, relative to your peers, the triple option wins you more games than any other strategy. In the end, as with any CFB team, it all comes down to players. When you have elite players running the triple, you can be elite. NU and CU ran versions of the triple option and NC's were won.

The problem today is that elite talent, and therefore elite teams, do not want to play triple option football because there is no NFL road to riches. At least that is the perception. So USC, tOSU, ND, Michigan, Texas, Florida, Bama, Clemson et al are not ever going back to the triple. Well, at least not to a run based triple. Spread attacks are just triple option attacks that empty the backfield in favor of a three or four wide set. The concepts are the same. But since they are pass heavy, the perception is that skill position players are more NFL ready, and elite players will go to Clemson, but not GT.

Teams aren't .600 teams because they run the triple. They are teams that would be below .500 because of talent deficiencies that become .600 teams employing the triple. See, Navy, AFA and Army. JMO.

The problem I see with the option attack is your defense doesn't get a lot of looks at what other teams in the league are doing. Also you spend 20min driving the ball down the field "eating clock" and BOOM - the other team comes out and scores on one play.

Probably. With smaller OLs and a very low likelihood of finding a QB who can sling it, an option attack makes total sense. Also because it eats clock so that the defense won't get as worn down. I'd run a system like that if I was coaching at a service academy.

And I admit, during the Embree years I was wondering if this was the attack we should run. And I wasn't a Buff fan during the McCartney years, and don't really like option football. But it's effective, at least when you're the only team on the schedule that runs it.

I'd be seriously considering it at a lot of places that need something to bootstrap the program.

Then you've ignored my point that despite some pretty good years, their recruiting hasn't bumped. Go to Tempe for a weekend and then go to Tucson. Report back to me. It's awful.
So any University that is located in a ****ty place is relegated to the same status as the academies?

To me it is a chicken/egg argument. If you are a team with average-to below average talent, relative to your peers, the triple option wins you more games than any other strategy. In the end, as with any CFB team, it all comes down to players. When you have elite players running the triple, you can be elite. NU and CU ran versions of the triple option and NC's were won.

The problem today is that elite talent, and therefore elite teams, do not want to play triple option football because there is no NFL road to riches. At least that is the perception. So USC, tOSU, ND, Michigan, Texas, Florida, Bama, Clemson et al are not ever going back to the triple. Well, at least not to a run based triple. Spread attacks are just triple option attacks that empty the backfield in favor of a three or four wide set. The concepts are the same. But since they are pass heavy, the perception is that skill position players are more NFL ready, and elite players will go to Clemson, but not GT.

Teams aren't .600 teams because they run the triple. They are teams that would be below .500 because of talent deficiencies that become .600 teams employing the triple. See, Navy, AFA and Army. JMO.
I strongly disagree. To win at an elite level you have to be able to throw the ball. Coaches like Rich Rod and Chip Kelly figured out how to modernize the positives of option football while eliminating the drawbacks. Pure option is not ever going to be championship football at higher levels (D1 FCS or FBS).

And I admit, during the Embree years I was wondering if this was the attack we should run. And I wasn't a Buff fan during the McCartney years, and don't really like option football. But it's effective, at least when you're the only team on the schedule that runs it.

I'd be seriously considering it at a lot of places that need something to bootstrap the program.
Bob Davie at UNM, for instance.

Back