What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I strongly disagree. To win at an elite level you have to be able to throw the ball. Coaches like Rich Rod and Chip Kelly figured out how to modernize the positives of option football while eliminating the drawbacks. Pure option is not ever going to be championship football at higher levels (D1 FCS or FBS).
Well we can agree to disagree. DH threw for 1538 yards in 1990 out of a pure triple, so I am not sure, mated to an elite ground game, it would not be elite. The notion you cannot throw the ball effectively simply is not true. You put Tate behind tOSU's OL and run the triple, I really doubt that team would fail to make the CFP.

It is all academic anyway, as I said above, no elite team is ever going back to a run based triple anyway.

Well we can agree to disagree. DH threw for 1538 yards in 1990 out of a pure triple, so I am not sure, mated to an elite ground game, it would not be elite. The notion you cannot throw the ball effectively simply is not true. You put Tate behind tOSU's OL and run the triple, I really doubt that team would fail to make the CFP.

It is all academic anyway, as I said above, no elite team is ever going back to a run based triple anyway.
I think it's telling that no one does it. Wisconsin, LSU and Wyoming would seem to be great fits, right, with the way they've built their teams and with what they emphasize. But they know that you can't limit yourself to that extent and be competing for conference championships.

I think we've played out our discussion at this point. All a matter of opinion until an elite program tries it. :)

I think it's telling that no one does it. Wisconsin, LSU and Wyoming would seem to be great fits, right, with the way they've built their teams and with what they emphasize. But they know that you can't limit yourself to that extent and be competing for conference championships.

I think we've played out our discussion at this point. All a matter of opinion until an elite program tries it. :)

To your point, Georgia Tech hasn't had the success I would have expected, given their location. I'm not sure they are better than Navy in fact.

I hear you. I think the reason no one does it is based on recruiting concerns, not lack of feasibility. That is where we part company. For the record, I would not want CU to go there for the recruiting reason. I think CU can recruit well enough to be a consistent top third of the conference team. If you can get elite NFL-hopeful players, you do not need an outlier offense.

I regard the Air Raid, on one end, and the run based triple, on the other, as outliers. High risk, high reward. If an elite team went all in on either of those styles, they would still be elite and very well could have an extra, decided tactical advantage. But if you are elite, why take that risk?

Many USC fans would love to see him go, a lot of USC players have been critical of him as well apparently. May be for the best if he can land on his feet elsewhere.

I think you have that backwards. Frost didn't engineer jack. What he used at UCF was pretty much Chip's Oregon O.

I respectfully disagree lefty! Yes, Chip engineered his offense around a lot of concepts, especially pace of play, different mesh points with QB ball fakes and running, but Frost has the deeper option background, and you are seeing side to side movement, option concepts, Tight End down the seam, and other Osborne stuff in the UCF offense. I hate that Frost might actually get something figured out in Lincoln based on what we are talking about. What if Tate was the UCF QB this year and he looked like Lamar Jackson from the jump! Scary, really scary. The only thing that confuses me is the idea that we want to recruit Pro Style QB's, instead of Dual Threat that still throw well. That is why I like Montez is because at least he can still run and is willing to run.

Starting to look like Leach may have peaked at Wazzu and he knew it (why he was trying to get out). Staff is getting poached left and right.

Didn't OU also poach their LB coach Manning? I still am pissed at them for stealing Leavitt and Clark. OU isn't making any friends. Add Wazzu to the list of schools wanting blood when they play the ducks.

Many USC fans would love to see him go, a lot of USC players have been critical of him as well apparently. May be for the best if he can land on his feet elsewhere.

Well that seems like something that could really hurt the Demetrice Martin to CU process.

Isn't the 1st step for any new coach to "recruit" the players already on team. Might sta y, might leave, Nothing unusual really.

Correct, but it should influence the idea that it’s Triple Option or bust.
If AZ were to hire Navy's Ken N., I could see him sticking with a similar offense as UA has now, but adding some triple option features. Over time, you might see it become more Triple Option oriented. Tate is good enough that you may cater to him for another 1-2 years while he's there.

Back