What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

And only have to seriously compete year in/year out with FSU while still being considered a major conference. If I were him, I would lever a possible job for a long term contract with a pay raise then put my head down and earn it while counting my blessings for being in such an awesome situation.
Bama would make sense once Saban is done, but is there really another program that offers more than Clemson does for him?

Wouldn't surprise me to see Dabo act like he is interested. Don't think Clemson would have much trouble getting some boosters to step up to "match" what they think aTm is offering.

I don't think that Clemson could match what A&M would be willing to offer but I still think that Dabo is staying at Clemson until the Bama job opens.

I don't see Dabo leaving the Southeast unless he got an NFL gig. Idk if he's even interested that honestly.

I don't think that Clemson could match what A&M would be willing to offer but I still think that Dabo is staying at Clemson until the Bama job opens.

You may be right but that wouldn't stop Dabo from squeezing a few more dollars out of the boosters if he can. They may not match the deep pockets that aTm has but some would pony up to try to make staying more interesting to him.

Also he is the logical answer to follow Saban at Bama and I can't see him passing that up. Thinking about it though I sure wouldn't want to be the one who follows Saban. How many times has the guy who followed the superstar coach done as well as expected.

Chev #10 on the list. The thought of potentially losing him after just 2 seasons depresses me.

I really think Chev will stay for a while unless it's one of those job offers that is too good to pass up. He's a Buff, his son's on the team now, he's very young still, and he's working for a guy who is giving him a Ph.D. in how to organize and manage a program.

My guess is that Lindgren is the guy who gets a HC job soon. He's much more respected as an offensive football mind and QB whisperer by the national media and his peers than he is by the average CU fan. That would move Chev into a full OC job at CU (and they'd hire a new WR coach who would likely carry the recruiting coordinator title). If it shakes out like that, he'd be making more money than most G5 head coaches and be the heir apparent for the CU job if HCMM ever left.

That would move Chev into a full OC job at CU (and they'd hire a new WR coach who would likely carry the recruiting coordinator title). If it shakes out like that, he'd be making more money than most G5 head coaches and be the heir apparent for the CU job if HCMM ever left.

Chev would continue to coach WRs for sure and they'd hire a QB coach...

Chev would continue to coach WRs for sure and they'd hire a QB coach...
You're right. Brain fart by me there.

And a QB coach is not usually going to be a recruiting coordinator. I'm not sure there's anyone on the staff to put in that role. We've got some guys who recruit well and more that would be good with organizing the recruiting effort, but I don't think there's anyone on the current staff who has the passion for recruiting that Chev has. Maybe an opportunity there for whomever they bring in as the 2nd DB coach when we add the 10th assistant to be a recruiting ace and potential guy for that role down the road.

You're right. Brain fart by me there.

And a QB coach is not usually going to be a recruiting coordinator. I'm not sure there's anyone on the staff to put in that role. We've got some guys who recruit well and more that would be good with organizing the recruiting effort, but I don't think there's anyone on the current staff who has the passion for recruiting that Chev has. Maybe an opportunity there for whomever they bring in as the 2nd DB coach when we add the 10th assistant to be a recruiting ace and potential guy for that role down the road.
Simple solution. Bernardi gone and then add a recruiting coordinator/TE/Inside receivers coach.

Simple solution. Bernardi gone and then add a recruiting coordinator/TE/Inside receivers coach.
I really think the guy who's going to get that job is DaPrato. He's a very active recruiter in his current role with a pretty strong twitter game (as much as he can be while not an actual assistant coach). He also brings quite a bit on special teams. But while I very much think he'd upgrade the recruiting from the assistants, I don't know that he'd be a recruiting coordinator.

I really think the guy who's going to get that job is DaPrato. He's a very active recruiter in his current role with a pretty strong twitter game (as much as he can be while not an actual assistant coach). He also brings quite a bit on special teams. But while I very much think he'd upgrade the recruiting from the assistants, I don't know that he'd be a recruiting coordinator.
Yeah no way you can make him RC, but it is the position to do it at since it has the least responsibility on the staff and he could devote a lot of time to recruiting.

I'm not real clear what a RC really is or does to be honest. I don't view that title as "lead recruiter".

I think they mostly pick and then organize where the other coaches visit

I would think that the organizing and all "admin duties" are handled by Director of Recruiting (Adam Toyama). But I honestly don't understand the division of responsibilities. His bio doesn't discuss his duties, unlike the bio for the Director of Football Ops....

Recruiting coordinators have their hand in everything recruiting on some level. The responsibilities are typically pretty intense.

Recruiting coordinators have their hand in everything recruiting on some level. The responsibilities are typically pretty intense.

I see the evaluation side of it being more about the position coach, the coordinator and then the HC. For example, if a LB is being evaluated, I'd guess that Els, then Eliot and then MacIntyre decide if the guy is a good target from an ability standpoint. That would be the hierarchy used to decide if a kid is being recruited and/or offered. I'm trying to break out evaluation from recruiting here, which seems to me the way it would work.

I'd guess the Recruiting coordinator takes it from there and generally leads the committee (i.e. Toyama's team reports to Chev) and at least in Chev's case, he is actively involved in "touching" each recruit. Trying to understand whether organizational skills are more important here than flat out being a "good recruiter".
I'm guessing Chev is good at all of it. But in general, what is the job description?

Most recruiting coordinators are expected to interact with every major recruit at every position. They are the main point of contact for recruits on official visits.

Like I said, anything you can think of on a day-to-day basis for recruiting has to go through the recruiting coordinator. It encompasses everything: organizing meetings, organizing the board, organizing highlights, setting itineraries for official visits, setting travel schedules, formulating all letters sent to recruits, and so on.

Exactly. The RC is going to build a relationship with every player the program is seriously recruiting even before the HC does. Got to be a charismatic guy with a passion for recruiting, a great network and the ability to close or the coach should not be in that role.

It's Alabama and he's an alum, but at this point I'd have to seriously wonder if that's enough for Dabo to leave Clemson. He won a national title with one of *the* perennial underachievers in CFB.

I really think Chev will stay for a while unless it's one of those job offers that is too good to pass up. He's a Buff, his son's on the team now, he's very young still, and he's working for a guy who is giving him a Ph.D. in how to organize and manage a program.

My guess is that Lindgren is the guy who gets a HC job soon. He's much more respected as an offensive football mind and QB whisperer by the national media and his peers than he is by the average CU fan. That would move Chev into a full OC job at CU (and they'd hire a new WR coach who would likely carry the recruiting coordinator title). If it shakes out like that, he'd be making more money than most G5 head coaches and be the heir apparent for the CU job if HCMM ever left.

I like your ideas.

Not sure Chiv would get CU of MM left. Not even sure he gets P5 job with limited play calling experience. Maybe G5??

RG likes Chiv.

There are a lot of qualities to look for in a head coach and playcalling experience isn't very high on the list, IMO. Chev has all the top qualities I would be looking for and just needs more experience/mentoring with delegating, running practices, coaching the coaches, and everything else that comes with being a CEO-type of head coach.

$6.5MM per year will buy a lot of chicken fried steaks in northern S Carolina.

Back