What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Heat Check After Week 2

Coaching to get his job back: Kevin Sumlin
This seat is on fire: Brian Kelly
Getting warmer: Gus Malzahn, Bret Bielema
Suddenly cooler: Jim Mora
Wait and see: Butch Jones, Todd Graham, Barry Odom, Rich Rodriguez

They look to be on the track towards 1-11 and I don't think there is any way he can survive that.

Gary Andersen feeling any heat at Oregon St? I think he should get another year at least, but railroaded by Minnesota and CSU and squeaking out a win vs Portland St isn't quite the stage I thought he'd have that team in year 3

Even if they can afford the buyout (4 more years ), I wonder who would be willing to take that job with how brutal the North looks. It would almost certainly be a retread like Brady Hoke or Mark Helfrich. Or an older coach like Rocky Long who realizes he may not ever get another shot at a P5 job.

Maybe, but it is Oregon St. They were decent under Riley, but otherwise it has been a football futility factory forever. And yes, I realize they had some solid teams back in the 40's but c'mon...my guess is even at 1-11 Anderson is probably safe.

Even if they can afford the buyout (4 more years ), I wonder who would be willing to take that job with how brutal the North looks. It would almost certainly be a retread like Brady Hoke or Mark Helfrich. Or an older coach like Rocky Long who realizes he may not ever get another shot at a P5 job.
Ken Nuimatalolo?

Long is a very good coach IMO. Kind of getting long in the tooth, but his teams are solid.

Or taking a flier on a guy like Joe Salave'a.

And to be clear, the names mentioned are actually all decent fits in one way or another. More pointing out that their hiring pool is more limited than most P5 schools.

And to be clear, the names mentioned are actually all decent fits in one way or another. More pointing out that their hiring pool is more limited than most P5 schools.
Well, who would have thought Gary Anderson would have ever considered them? I know there are some internal headaches involved with the Wisconsin job, but going from Wisconsin to Oregon State is not exactly a step up.

Well, who would have thought Gary Anderson would have ever considered them? I know there are some internal headaches involved with the Wisconsin job, but going from Wisconsin to Oregon State is not exactly a step up.

Basically heard Andersen was kicking the tires on a lot of jobs at the time (including CU). He really did not like it at Wisconsin.

Basically heard Andersen was kicking the tires on a lot of jobs at the time (including CU). He really did not like it at Wisconsin.
He was kicking the tires on the CU job after MM's 2nd season here? Regardless, Oregon State was the best job he could get after a pretty successful couple seasons at Wisconsin?

Long is a very good coach IMO. Kind of getting long in the tooth, but his teams are solid.

Has ties to Oregon State as well. I know that hire would be questioned given Long is 67, but I think he is a really good. Of course, coaching in San Diego at 67 may sound better to Long at this point in his career (and I wouldn't really blame him).

Last edited:
He was kicking the tires on the CU job after MM's 2nd season here? Regardless, Oregon State was the best job he could get after a pretty successful couple seasons at Wisconsin?

It was more about taking a job like CU in 1-2 years or taking the open Oregon State job.

Andersen effectively turned us down when we went for Mac and he was at Utah State, right?

Makes that 2 bullets dodged with him and Jones.

Was listening to a podcast yesterday, think it was the Football 4 with the USA Today guys, and they seemed to think the best potential fit for Chip Kelly of jobs likely to come open was ASU due to his hatred of dealing with an active booster community.

Who do we think is in play for the Aggie, ND and Auburn jobs if they become vacant?

Was listening to a podcast yesterday, think it was the Football 4 with the USA Today guys, and they seemed to think the best potential fit for Chip Kelly of jobs likely to come open was ASU due to his hatred of dealing with an active booster community.
Seems like his biggest worry is recruiting, not boosters. He needs to find a place that grabs recruits no matter what, like UCLA.

So I went back and looked at the jobs available after the 2014 season.

Florida
Michigan
Nebraska
Kansas

The options were quite limited.

Back