What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

IMO, NC State is a very underrated job so he would be wise to use that leverage to get more money for him and his staff.
I'm just saying, Dave Doeren doesn't seem to be a special coach. Overall record of 33-30 at NC State with a 15-25 ACC record. Even if you take away his first year, where they went 0-8 in ACC, he is still 15-17 in conference play. To me, that's the definition of mediocre, but NC State is being forced to throw a bunch of money at him.

I'm just saying, Dave Doeren doesn't seem to be a special coach. Overall record of 33-30 at NC State with a 15-25 ACC record. Even if you take away his first year, where they went 0-8 in ACC, he is still 15-17 in conference play. To me, that's the definition of mediocre, but NC State is being forced to throw a bunch of money at him.
Tennessee is offering him $3 million a year though, do you think offering him $3.5 is really throwing money at him? That salary doesn't seem to be overboard at all. Mac is getting 3 and he is mid-Pac-12.

Tennessee is offering him $3 million a year though, do you think offering him $3.5 is really throwing money at him? That salary doesn't seem to be overboard at all. Mac is getting 3 and he is mid-Pac-12.
I didn't see the specific numbers, so that doesn't seem as bad, but they are also increasing assistant salary pool. Regardless, my original point still stands.

IMO, NC State is a very underrated job so he would be wise to use that leverage to get more money for him and his staff.

NC State isn't ever going to be a premium job but from the looks of things Tennessee isn't going to be either at least in the near future, just way to much dysfunction there.

Difference is at a place like NC State if a coach can win enough to consistently get to mid-level bowl games, win a few upsets over ranked or name teams, and project a good image he can have a long stable career or be in position to eventually move up into a much better position.

Tennessee fans think they should be winning SEC championships, they act like and expect result like they are an elite program. Short of that and the pressure is on. The money at Tennessee could be very good but it is also a good place to kill a career.

Lol I agree. My point is that NC State is having to increase their financial commitments in order to retain a mediocre coach.

This is a reality that every program that wants to be considered a competitive P5 school faces. It wasn't that long ago that a lot of P5 coaches were making under $1 million a year, now we are seeing more and more coordinators over that amount and G5 coaches are going for $1.5 million a year or more. Saban makes $11 million.

Which again, ignores context and what it takes to build a program, Wisconsin style. In the only valid way to anylise his work ,look at both records in conference, and things like margins and other analytics, and I think you will see that Doeren has done nothing but make steady and real progress. I don't have the analytics, but here's NCST under Doeren in conference:

0-8
3-5
3-5
3-5
6-2

The risk is other things like, QB play. You see a place do what Mac did, insert a true frosh QB in desperation and ride that growth. T he question, is can you keep doing it, with no more than a 1 year fall back every few years. That's a valid question here and that's a valid question at NCST.

Which again, ignores context and what it takes to build a program, Wisconsin style. In the only valid way to anylise his work ,look at both records in conference, and things like margins and other analytics, and I think you will see that Doeren has done nothing but make steady and real progress. I don't have the analytics, but here's NCST under Doeren in conference:

0-8
3-5
3-5
3-5
6-2

The risk is other things like, QB play. You see a place do what Mac did, insert a true frosh QB in desperation and ride that growth. T he question, is can you keep doing it, with no more than a 1 year fall back every few years. That's a valid question here and that's a valid question at NCST.
Yes, there's been solid and steady improvement under Doeren, just like there has been under Mac at CU. I'm not saying he's a bad coach by any stretch; I just said he's mediocre and I think it's interesting/comical that a supposed high level program like Tennessee has to "settle" for someone like that, which is legitimately option #10 for them.

This would be like CU going 8-4 last year, and CU having to extend him and pony up for more salary because a bigger program came knocking. It's a situation where the AD begrudgingly has to make a higher financial commitment when they otherwise wouldn't have to.

:ROFLMAO:

My guess is Tee Martin is offered next.
That’s a huge pressure cooker for a guy who has never been a head coach before. He’ll take it if offered, but that’s a Jon Embree hire. He’s done well as an OC (at a school where just about anybody should be successful), but being a head coach in the SEC is a huge step up. I’d want him to get some experience at a smaller school as a head coach before promoting him to HC at UT.

That’s a huge pressure cooker for a guy who has never been a head coach before. He’ll take it if offered, but that’s a Jon Embree hire. He’s done well as an OC (at a school where just about anybody should be successful), but being a head coach in the SEC is a huge step up. I’d want him to get some experience at a smaller school as a head coach before promoting him to HC at UT.
He's only OC by title at SC. They would essentially be hiring a WRs coach, which as you said, is basically like CU hiring Embree. I seriously can't wait to see Tee Martin as HC, Peyton Manning as OC, and Jason Witten retiring from the Cowboys to take TEs.

I saw something a few days ago that basically said the search wouldn't go further than Tee Martin or Kevin Steele. I really hope it does.

Kevin Steele would be a funny hire too. Been great at Auburn, but his career is a rollercoaster as a DC. Not going to necessarily hold his head coaching tenure at Baylor against him, but not sure anyone else would seriously consider him right now. Tennessee is so ****ed.

"But he's a Vol and one of us! You folks simply don't understand. He won't do bull**** like this trashcan thing and bring back some old traditions that asshole Butch Jones abolished as he tried to burn the program to the ground. Tee just gets it! Vol 4 Life!!!"

Kevin Steele would be a funny hire too. Been great at Auburn, but his career is a rollercoaster as a DC. Not going to necessarily hold his head coaching tenure at Baylor against him, but not sure anyone else would seriously consider him right now. Tennessee is so ****ed.

I saw a tweet by the Knoxville radio guy who was pushing hard for him

"But he's a Vol and one of us! You folks simply don't understand. He won't do bull**** like this trashcan thing and bring back some old traditions that asshole Butch Jones abolished as he tried to burn the program to the ground. Tee just gets it! Vol 4 Life!!!"
I detect a level of sarcasm here....

:ROFLMAO:

My guess is Tee Martin is offered next.
It is 100% an Embree situation. Eerily similar. Today, the narrative really jumped into the crazy land CU was in. Basically, "we know he's not ready for this job but he's a great guy who could be a great HC some day so maybe if we brought in a mentor as a CEO HC while Tee is the coach-in-waiting heir apparent under a set timeline, we'd get the best of all worlds and it would work."

They're pitching to bring back Phil Fullmer as coach-mentor to Martin the same way the original pitch of Embree was that McCartney would come out of retirement to hold his hand for 2 or 3 years.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-podcast-vols-tee-martin-phillip-fulmer

do we need to fear herm edwards?

I think it depends on how many of those assistants take another job-If Ray Anderson really thinks all of TG's guys are going to stick around, he's a more incompetent AD than John Currie. As far as where Tennessee goes........who's next to turn them down? I'm running out of names. They can't pull an Embree and hire Tee Martin or go with the silly CEO coach bit with Fulmer.

I think Jimbo Fisher to aTm will be announced after the 1:30 MT aTm BOR meeting.

Back