What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2018 Fall Camp Thread

Actual football to discuss!!!!

giphy.gif

Some things I am watching:

1. How Moretti looks as the season approaches. Will he be game-ready for the RMS (even if he is not starting)?

2. How the backup QBs are progressing. Right now, they are basically an afterthought in any article about the QBs, but hopefully a true #2 emerges.

3. How the OLBs progress between now and the start of the season. Hopefully we can see more true 3-4 sets this season if the coaches trust the OLBs.

We know the info will largely be sunshine, but you can still read between the lines some.

Some things I am watching:

1. How Moretti looks as the season approaches. Will he be game-ready for the RMS (even if he is not starting)?

2. How the backup QBs are progressing. Right now, they are basically an afterthought in any article about the QBs, but hopefully a true #2 emerges.

3. How the OLBs progress between now and the start of the season. Hopefully we can see more true 3-4 sets this season if the coaches trust the OLBs.

We know the info will largely be sunshine, but you can still read between the lines some.
I'm hoping to be able to go on Saturday despite some company being here from out of town.

Camp battles I most care about:

1. Abrams vs Udoffia (I'm assuming Miller is a starter)
2. Tonz vs Sherman
3. Wells/Tchangam/Callier/Falo

Some of the guys I really want to see are the DLs, Moretti, Taylor, the TEs, and Maddox & Hypolite at S.

I'm hoping to be able to go on Saturday despite some company being here from out of town.

2. Tonz vs Sherman

Some of the guys I really want to see are the DLs, Moretti, Taylor, the TEs, and Maddox & Hypolite at S.

Good list. Guess I am expecting to see plenty of both players in #1 and #2. But for #3, we definitely need two guys to emerge.

Maddox and/or Hypolite could really ease concerns about safety depth. Thin group right now.

Good list. Guess I am expecting to see plenty of both players in #1 and #2. But for #3, we definitely need two guys to emerge.

Maddox and/or Hypolite could really ease concerns about safety depth. Thin group right now.

What about Lewis? is he legit to battle with Maddox or Hypolite (can't believe we have another Hypolite, loved the Rabid Goldfish!)

2. Tonz vs Sherman

Regarding the corners, is Wigley becoming an afterthought or something? All last year I thought him and Udoffia were pretty comparable with Wigley maybe a bit stronger on press situations. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I asked Howell on his chat today when he'll get his first good look at the players. He said that he and the rest of the media will get that first look on Saturday when we do because they really only get requested interviews with players and they're kept outside the gate. So the media doesn't even get a good look of the players walking onto and off the field.

Eyeball test won't be given any real hints until the open practice.

Last edited:
Are we dismissing the loss of Lindsay too much? We all know he was a stud here and carried the offense at times, but is it possible he was still undervalued some?

I realize training camp is not the final verdict, but the positive pub out of the Broncos camp has me thinking Lindsay is going to be tougher to replace on the field and in the locker room than we are thinking.

Are we dismissing the loss of Lindsay too much? We all know he was a stud here and carried the offense at times, but is it possible he was still undervalued some?

I realize training camp is not the final verdict, but the positive pub out of the Broncos camp has me thinking Lindsay is going to be tougher to replace on the field and in the locker room than we are thinking.
He had 1,700+ yards of total production and 15 TDs. Every time he touched the ball he averaged 5.3 yards. That's just the tangible impact he had, which I do think we can replace in the aggregate, but the "dawg" in him and intangibles are going to be extremely tough.

Last edited:

McMillan looks to a guy who can replace most of what Phil brought talentwise but his contribution in the locker room and on the practice field could be very much missed.

Montez for all his talent doesn't look like a strong leader as a QB at this point. Where is the leadership going to come from?

1700 yards from scrimmage at a little over 5 yards per touch.

I think that production is replaceable.

It's the other stuff with leadership, attitude, fight, etc. that you don't just replace.

Also, the OL better do a much better job and Montez has got to be a whole lot better with his reads and release because there's no way we replace Lindsay's pass protection.

He had 1,700+ yards of total production and 15 TDs. Every time he touched the ball he averaged 5.3 yards. That's just the tangible impact he had, which I do think we can replace in the aggregate, but the "dawg" in him and intangibles is going to be extremely tough.

Right. He was durable and he had no issue being "the guy" with essentially no backup.

I am not sure we will ever see a better blocking RB at CU. Dude was extremely elite in this area and hid a lot of holes in CU's pass protection the last few years. That is something I think we see right away. Hope is the oline is a little better to hopefully help here.
Chev can help out a lot here and he better damn well recognize that the biggest problem with Lindgren's offense was how slowly pass plays developed without any quick release hot routes available within play designs. Sefo took way too many hits. Montez took way too many hits. That's not just on the OL or the QB. It was the flawed design of the offense.

I'm hoping the massive leadership void created by Phil's absence encourages several others to step up. If, last year, some laid back because they figured their voice wasn't needed, they have to switch gears.

Chev can help out a lot here and he better damn well recognize that the biggest problem with Lindgren's offense was how slowly pass plays developed without any quick release hot routes available within play designs. Sefo took way too many hits. Montez took way too many hits. That's not just on the OL or the QB. It was the flawed design of the offense.
Completely agree. I think when Chev first came in we saw a little of what he wanted to do and wonder if Lindgren was compromising. Sefo then gets hurt and we revert back to what I think Lindgren felt comfortable with the last year and a half.

I agree,

Part of that was a hold over from the Sefo offense. Sefo was not comfortable or effective throwing to the middle of the defense. When he tried he was an INT waiting to happen. That is part of why our TE production was so bad (not excusing a general lack of talent as well.)

Even our production from the slot, mostly lil' Mac, came on passes to the hash marks and out.

Montez looks to be much more able to throw in the middle than Sefo was, Chev needs to give him that option.

When you start completing those mid-range passes in the middle of the defense it helps a lot. They are quick enough that you can frustrate the pass rushers some and it also forces the LBs and safeties to stay home opening up space for the big play guys on the edges and penalizing the blitz.

What I'm looking at:

1. The passing game: we need the new WRs to step up and some stars in the secondary to emerge.
2. Backup QBs: I might be drinking too much sunshine kool-aid but my feeling is that Montez goes to the NFL after this season. We need to know who would take over in 2019 especially with an OOC schedule that includes Air Force, CSU, and Nebraska in addition to the Pac-12 schedule where we lose Cal and Oregon State from the schedule). I concur with those who said a true backup must emerge this year.
3. Pass blocking: this part of the offense needs to improve in a big way. I'm at a loss why we don't have an extra body (RB or TE) to help out in this case.
4. Running back: McMillian appears to be penciled in by the fanbase as the starting RB but we need to see who will take over in 2019. Will Bischart finally show that he can be a #1 back?
5. Defensive line: should be improved but how much better will pass rush be?

I'm planning to be there on the 4th for the open practice - does anyone know if the strict rules on photography are enforced during the open practices, or are they more relaxed for those?

My question, hopefully for someone that is more knowledgeable on ACC/Va Tech is in regards to McMillian. Actually where’s HokieBuff (if that’s his handle) when you need him? But did McMillian’s number of touches drop because they recruited guys that were equal in talent or did he just not put in the effort? Always thought it was a bit curious that he had such a stellar freshman year then started getting fewer touches the next 2

Last edited:
Back