What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would he leave for Arkansas? Not to start this debate again, but I DEFINITELY do not see that as a step up.

Edit- Just saw its his alma mater. Even so, I don’t see how anyone makes that move.

I think it would be a nice change of scenery for him and he gets to go home. He may not have a choice to leave Auburn a couple years from now.

When it's all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if there were 6 new head coaches in the $ec next year.

When it's all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if there were 6 new head coaches in the $ec next year.

Ummm...maybe.

Morris is already out, so there's one. Malzahn and Luke are both in trouble. Pruitt gets a 3rd year if they get to a bowl. They're 5-5 with Mizzou and Vandy left. Moorhead and Stoops may leave their jobs, but I don't see firings at either Mississippi State or UK. Vandy is garbage, but I haven't heard anything about Mason. Other than that, I can't think of anybody else. Jimbo has a huge buyout, and Coach O became a Cajun god after "Roll Tide what? **** you!"

3-4 changes seems more likely.

I think it would be a nice change of scenery for him and he gets to go home. He may not have a choice to leave Auburn a couple years from now.

Gus may be sick of it, and LSUs rise may make Auburn think they need to respond to that. Nicky stays in Alabama until he gets one more NC

Gus may be sick of it, and LSUs rise may make Auburn think they need to respond to that. Nicky stays in Alabama until he gets one more NC

Auburn will not fire Malzahn this year. Would not be sad if he left on his own though.

Has a horrible fit ever stopped USC from doing dumb things before.

Joe Brady and LSU are working on a new contract that footballscoop says will more than triple the 400k hes making now. Most impactful assistant coaching hire I remember.

If Chad Morris gets canned at Ark, hire him as OC at CU?
Hiring Morris at this point in his career is merely paying for the name. I would be very wary of doing that right now.
Here’s my thought. He likely is not cut out for P5. SMU is probably his kind of school, but will he get an opp to go back to G5 immediately if fired?

I think he is a good OC. Has experience with DT QBs. Knows Texas, good connections, can recruit.

Just spitballing possibilities.
I'd like Morris, but seems out of our price range. And replacing Johnson at OC doesn't seem like top priority to address on staff. Morris has been a pretty good recruiter though.

There are a couple other intriguing names off that Arky staff.
Mark Smith (secondary coach and recruiting coordinator): strong DFW ties, only making $225K this year; seems like a huge upgrade over Tillman
Barry Lunney (TE coach): has been a good recruiter and brought in some good recruits at the TE position to the Hogs; little higher pay at $365K

Doesn't help with Cali recruiting much, unless you could shift Chev maybe to Cali some by having other guys w/ a presence in DFW.

I'd like Morris, but seems out of our price range. And replacing Johnson at OC doesn't seem like top priority to address on staff. Morris has been a pretty good recruiter though.

There are a couple other intriguing names off that Arky staff.
Mark Smith (secondary coach and recruiting coordinator): strong DFW ties, only making $225K this year; seems like a huge upgrade over Tillman
Barry Lunney (TE coach): has been a good recruiter and brought in some good recruits at the TE position to the Hogs; little higher pay at $365K

Doesn't help with Cali recruiting much, unless you could shift Chev maybe to Cali some by having other guys w/ a presence in DFW.
Keep Chev where he is. Hire someone with the Cali connections. Why do people always want to screw with their top salesmen?

I think Sonny Dykes could be a good fit at Arkansas. Have to recruit Texas as the head coach of Arkansas, different offensive system in the conference and he has previous head coaching experience.

You said he has previous head coaching experience when he’s currently coaching. Must be my poor reading comprehension.
I was just saying you aren't hiring a coordinator, if that makes sense. His revival of SMU is why I thought he would be a good fir at ARky with his Texas connections.

Now, we are spinning Carousel Update:

dwyermj kicks off the spin of the carousel by spotting the first corpse banging against the hull of Rutgers, the first carousel casualty, Chris Ash.

New stuff noted with an UPDATE tag.

Open Jobs:

Rutgers- Chris Ash is out (h/t dwyermj), Nunzio Campanile is interim. No firm news on the new Capo dei capi, or whether Campianile will be consigliere, but rumors abound Greg Schiano left the Pats last March to muscle his way back to New Brunswick (or is it Camden?), honestly, who cares where it is, it is still NJ. Chris Ash reportedly still alive and well. Joe Moorhead, Miss. St. HC getting some mention. Schiano looks to be the man in Piscataway. Rumors a deal is in the works are flying. UPDATE: Multiple sources point to Schiano being announced any day now.

Florida State- Willie Taggert out after less than two years. (h/t vinniew_11). That was a big one. Kirk Herbstreit drops a nuke on FSU, then pees on it to put out the fire. See ahoelsken's post above. So, who's it gonna be? FSU has spent roughly $30M (h/t sinkratz) on coaches over thelast couple of years...that is a lot of oranges to sell. Odell Haggins, longtime FSU AC takes over as interim. Bob Stoops not interested in FSU job. Likes his part-time gig in the Arena league, or whatever it is he is doing now. FSU AD wants to have man in place by season's end. That would limit the pool quite a bit, I would think. Norvell a possibility (h/t Duff), Deion Sanders (h/t Sewall Beach), probably the silliest rumor out there right now.

Arkansas- Chad Morris is out. Could not win even one SEC game. (h/t Duff). Eary names: Mike Norvell, Drinkwitz from App. St., Gus M., one column made the case for 59 year old Willie Fritz, not gonna happen IMO. CarolinaBuff says Leach, could happen.:unsure:

Possibles:

Harbaugh- UM is a mess. After tOSU dismantles them, it will likely be curtains for Jimbo. UPDATE Rumors of an exit strategy by Jimbo, then a strongly worded "I am staying" letter from Jimbo to player's parents. Almost as good as an indicator he is going as the dreaded AD vote of confidence. The win over ND is a nice scalp for Jimbo's wall.

Charlie Strong- Severe downward trajectory. Cntinuing a bad start, and the ice gets thinner for an embattled HC.

Derek Mason- below .400 at Vandy in year six. Rumors swirl, the Vandy AD is unhappy, despite a nice upset of Mizzou. 2-7, just pasted by UF, no bowl, I think Mason is a goner. Jeff Fisher, Dave Aranda, Willie Fritz, Ken Numaatoilolonamaalolliteamnaaomommlo, and last but not least, MikMac himself, getting some early mention.

Clay Helton- Sitting at about .640, not a good look for the plastic SoCal fan. UPDATE: Swann out, Mike Bohn in as AD. Bret McMurphy reproting Urban Meyer is target numero uno. Pete Thamel says look at James Franklin, and if not him, then: Bob Stoops, Kyle Whittingham, Matt Rhule, PJ Fleck and a cast of thousands. This one will be big. I wonder how Bohn will screw it up. And of course, Lane Kiffin has expressed interest...in the HC job, not some random coed, although you never know. Some reports Bohn to USC as unwinding. Bohn wants Urban, Pres. Folt does not. Reports that other AD's said no when they were told they could not hire Urban. Pete Thamel reports Bohn will likely come anyway. I agree, he has always been a windsock. He will do as he is told, which is why SC will end up with him. My guess as to the SC hire is not novel, it is Jack Del Rio. Let me be the first, I think, to nickname him, Jack The River. Bohn officially in. Helton continues to dangle.

Matt Luke- Ole Miss always presumes their team should be more than it is, but even by reasonable standards, Luke is underachieving.

Mike Bobo- CSU may not be able to afford to let him go yet. When you look at his overall record, it isn't that bad by CSU standards. But the losses to the flagship, AFA, Boise and Wyoming weigh heavily. Wins at UNM, UNLV and Fresno could save Bobo, yet. 4-5.

Mike Gundy- Fans getting picky. A .670 HC not good enough anymore.

UNLV- Hard to see how Sanchez survives. No winning seasons in five.

University of Almost Mexico- Ditto Davie, except he won in his first season..

Other News:

Show me the Money- Cali leads the way to player pay, starting 2023. Hapless NCAA and Conferences clutch pearls.

Sheriron Jones- The well-traveled QB gets caught in a solo routine. CU dodged a bullet. (h/t sewallbeach)

Arizona- Gets defensive about its DC and fires him, and one defensive AC. (h/t Jens).

Wazzu- Tracy Claeys "resigns". (h/t Tractor)

USC- hires Mike Bohn as AD (h/t ZKobalt), 11 other P12 programs chuckling uncontrollably.

Minnesota- PJ Fleck extended for 7 years, kNU in mourning.

Indiana- Tom Allen negotiating a raise, and presumably, an extension. kNU mourns more.

Last edited:
How much longer do we owe $ to MikeMac? Would be a win to see him end up at Vandy?
I really hope he ends up at Vandy. Matt Luke at Ole Miss could be on thin ice. If he gets let go, I could see a steel cage death match between RichRod and MikMac for the gig. RichRod would, of course, win and MikMac could go to Vandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back