What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
“They”?

Not trying to be a dick but certainly you can do better than that.

Boise, Army, Navy, Air Force, UCF, USF... is CSU job better than Louisville? Houston?
Seems like sdsu, Houston, UCF, USF and SMU are in a different league than the others but CSU is in the next conversation. They pay well, have some of the best facilities in the G5 and there is actually a good amount of local talent for G5 teams in Colorado. They are also a good school in a good location.

He’s been on the job for all of like 3 weeks. I think you’re severely overestimating just how much of a role he played in the ultimate decision to retain Helton. Especially since, from all accounts, the entire reason he came to SC was because HE believed he would be able to bring in Urban Meyer. This has their old President pulling every string all over it.

None of which explains why he was caught flat-footed by the report of Helton being fired on Sunday.

You are giving him a pass because of the "Urban or bust" rumors while I am going on his past history.

None of which explains why he was caught flat-footed by the report of Helton being fired on Sunday.

You are giving him a pass because of the "Urban or bust" rumors while I am going on his past history.
I’m giving him a pass in this situation because he’s not the Rick George kind of AD that has full and total control and is viewed at as an elite leader for their AD. I’m placing blame at the feet of the actual decision makers of USC.

Put it this way... Fire Mike Bohn now or had they hired ANY other AD, and the outcome would have been the exact same.

Merging topics, I think that Jay Hill would be a potentially great hire for CSU and I'm happy that Helton is returning to USC.

I’m giving him a pass in this situation because he’s not the Rick George kind of AD that has full and total control and is viewed at as an elite leader for their AD. I’m placing blame at the feet of the actual decision makers of USC.

Put it this way... Fire Mike Bohn now or had they hired ANY other AD, and the outcome would have been the exact same.

Here is where I am not totally buying it. You say he was primarily hired because he had the existing relationship with Meyer, but the decision was never really his? Something does not add up.

Here is where I am not totally buying it. You say he was primarily hired because he had the existing relationship with Meyer, but the decision was never really his? Something does not add up.
Well the reports were originally that he thought that’s what he was brought in for, but then there was some push back on that after the fact. Perhaps he thought he had full institutional buy in to pursue that, and then they higher powers that actual run USC decided something different.

We can be done w this argument. I honestly don’t really care one way or the other, I just think much of the **** talking about Bohn around here pertaining to this situation is just hating on Bohn to hate on Bohn and is excusing the actual decision makers at USC.

FAU all in on keeping Freshwater

If I'm FAU, I think I let Kiffin walk and keep the buyout money. You got a couple good years out of him. I can't imagine a guy like that staying long term at FAU and giving it his best year after year. You might go to the effort of trying to keep him so the fans stay engaged. But it would be mainly for show.

Well the reports were originally that he thought that’s what he was brought in for, but then there was some push back on that after the fact. Perhaps he thought he had full institutional buy in to pursue that, and then they higher powers that actual run USC decided something different.

We can be done w this argument. I honestly don’t really care one way or the other, I just think much of the **** talking about Bohn around here pertaining to this situation is just hating on Bohn to hate on Bohn and is excusing the actual decision makers at USC.

I actually think Bohn and Folt are to blame for completely botching an easy decision in firing Helton.

THey improves in every part of the game but only by one win. That isn’t enough in year 5. No matter what people here say, CSU is one of the top G5 jobs in the country, they won’t have an issue attracting coaches.
I just think you have to weigh everything. 5 wins isn't enough, but they were not getting blown out. They had to play their backup QB a good part of the year, many programs fail when that happens. Bobo had a hugely weird health scare in 2018, taking him completely out, which I think has to be considered in that "year 5" debate. The players still believe in him.

It just looked to me that with most everyone back, they were built to be very competitive next year.

I just think you have to weigh everything. 5 wins isn't enough, but they were not getting blown out. They had to play their backup QB a good part of the year, many programs fail when that happens. Bobo had a hugely weird health scare in 2018, taking him completely out, which I think has to be considered in that "year 5" debate. The playersmjstill believe in him.

It just looked to me that with most everyone back, they were built to be very competitive next year.
4 wins. That just isn’t acceptable at this part in his tenure, especially after a 3 win season and losing all of those games to rivals

CSU is perhaps slightly better than average job.

A few jobs in the G5 are plum, like Houston, USF, Boise, SDSU, UCF, SMU.

Some just completely suck like SJSU, New Mexico State, Buffalo.

Almost all the rest, like CSU, fall in the middle. No built in advantages, but almost every school has some periods of success. For example, from a coaching perspective, is East Carolina a better or worse job than CSU? I don’t know. I could make arguments either way.

Service academies? FIU? Hawaii? Utah State? Wyoming? Come on, guys.

CSU is not in the top tier of G5 jobs like Houston or UCF, but it is pretty solid.
Agreed. Against the competition that CSU plays and with the resources they have, they're set up to be a program that wins 7 or 8 games a year. They pay well for G5, too. It's a good job.

Agreed. Against the competition that CSU plays and with the resources they have, they're set up to be a program that wins 7 or 8 games a year. They pay well for G5, too. It's a good job.

That's not their issue. Big name coordinators (think Mel LY before he came here) know they can get P5 jobs easily now without needing to prove themselves at that level....especially after the success that guys like Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day have had. Steve Sarkisians an option up there IMO because he's damaged goods and needs to prove he can run his own show at that level like Kiffin was when he went to FAU. Other than that, they should go after Jay Hill or Troy Taylor. Tony Alford makes about as much sense for them as Embree did when he took over here.

I just think you have to weigh everything. 5 wins isn't enough, but they were not getting blown out. They had to play their backup QB a good part of the year, many programs fail when that happens. Bobo had a hugely weird health scare in 2018, taking him completely out, which I think has to be considered in that "year 5" debate. The players still believe in him.

I agree with all of these points but unfortunately for coaches there is a “show business” aspect to these decisions.

AD’s, and professional sports owners for that matter, understand that new coaches sell tickets.

Once fan interest in the team starts to wane, a change in coaches is really the only way to get it back. Despite what the AD might think about the quality of the coach or the young talent on the roster, maintaining fan interest is the number one job, and new coaches reinvigorate fans.

Coaching is a tough job.

Service academies? FIU? Hawaii? Utah State? Wyoming? Come on, guys.

CSU is not in the top tier of G5 jobs like Houston or UCF, but it is pretty solid.

In all seriousness, what makes CSU a good job?

I get that select coaches have done well there and that it could be a stepping stone for an up-and-comer. But it comes with some pretty substantial structural challenges, no?

Seems like sdsu, Houston, UCF, USF and SMU are in a different league than the others but CSU is in the next conversation. They pay well, have some of the best facilities in the G5 and there is actually a good amount of local talent for G5 teams in Colorado. They are also a good school in a good location.

Are they actually in a position to pay well this time, though?

Facilities, check.

Everything else is relative and depends on personal opinion. Good school? Compared to what?

Seems to me they are what they are - better than Tulsa, UNM...

Gonna be interesting to watch the bidding war for Urban between USC and CSU.
Am perusing Lamenation and I think they really think Urban is a distinct possibility.

Wow. I knew they were delusional, but that’s so far beyond where I thought they were.

They're hoping he's dyslexic and thinks CSU is USC when they give him the contract to sign.

Are they actually in a position to pay well this time, though?

Facilities, check.

Everything else is relative and depends on personal opinion. Good school? Compared to what?

Seems to me they are what they are - better than Tulsa, UNM...
Yes they are still in good position, did you pay attention yesterday?

What else is based on personal opinion? CSU is a good school relative to the schools they are competing with.

CSU is perhaps slightly better than average job.

A few jobs in the G5 are plum, like Houston, USF, Boise, SDSU, UCF, SMU.

Some just completely suck like SJSU, New Mexico State, Buffalo.

Almost all the rest, like CSU, fall in the middle. No built in advantages, but almost every school has some periods of success. For example, from a coaching perspective, is East Carolina a better or worse job than CSU? I don’t know. I could make arguments either way.
I remember learning on this site that csu is a better job than Boise State!

Yes they are still in good position, did you pay attention yesterday?

What else is based on personal opinion? CSU is a good school relative to the schools they are competing with.

Actually, I didn't pay attention yesterday. So +1 for you.

Still, I genuinely don't think of CSU as particularly good - school (unless agronomy or animals are your thing), coaching opportunity, community to live in relative to other places (proximity to the better parts of CO doesn't count anymore than proximity to Greeley and Cheyenne), history as a competitive program... Others might feel different but those are all personal opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back