What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I didn't pay attention yesterday. So +1 for you.

Still, I genuinely don't think of CSU as particularly good - school (unless agronomy or animals are your thing), coaching opportunity, community to live in relative to other places (proximity to the better parts of CO doesn't count anymore than proximity to Greeley and Cheyenne), history as a competitive program... Others might feel different but those are all personal opinions.
Again, I think you are comparing CSU to CU which is totally irrelevant. I am talking about how they compare to their peers in the Mountain West and other G5 conferences. It is the second best university behind Air Force in the MW. They paid the highest salaries to their coaching staff in the MW. The Font range is awesome and FTC is always rated well as a college town. History is definitely not on their side I will completely agree there but there is actually a decent amount of MW talent in CO and that local population is growing.

Again, this is why it is pointless to argue about CSU on this board, because people have their personal anger about that University and it won't let them look at the situation objectively.

Again, I think you are comparing CSU to CU which is totally irrelevant. I am talking about how they compare to their peers in the Mountain West and other G5 conferences. It is the second best university behind Air Force in the MW. They paid the highest salaries to their coaching staff in the MW. The Font range is awesome and FTC is always rated well as a college town. History is definitely not on their side I will completely agree there but there is actually a decent amount of MW talent in CO and that local population is growing.

Again, this is why it is pointless to argue about CSU on this board, because people have their personal anger about that University and it won't let them look at the situation objectively.

CSU is fine. A coach can win there. Sparkles was able to parlay that job into an SEC job. They'd probably be better off going the Lubick/Bohl route and aim for a few years of consistency rather than hiring a younger guy who's aiming higher eventually.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, what makes CSU a good job?

I get that select coaches have done well there and that it could be a stepping stone for an up-and-comer. But it comes with some pretty substantial structural challenges, no?

Play in a winnable conference. Decent talent base. They pay well. Good facilities. People acting like it is a ****ty G5 job are just hating.

CSU isn’t a horrible job, but it’s not that great, either. What fans they do have hold on to unrealistic expectations. They fancy themselves a P5 candidate, and they just aren’t. CSU is solidly in the middle of the G5 pack.

I should add that CU is solidly in the middle of the P5 pack, so this isn’t hating on CSU.

CSU isn’t a total **** job but there are plenty of places I’d rather be if I’m a coach. They don’t really have any history of winning or legacy besides maybe that small patch with Sonny. They’re fighting with both Colorado and Air Force for the same in-state talent, admittedly AF is a bit different kids. I just think their fans kinda suck, their support is non-existent if they aren’t a front runner. They aren’t very interesting at the RMS and 90% of the things I see them chant or say online has to do with CU sucking. They’re more obsessed with how much everyone else sucks and less obsessed with their own team. I’m sure the right guy can win there though, it shouldn’t be impossible.

CSU is not fighting CU or Air Force for in-state talent. They are fighting schools like Boise State or Wyoming.

I think the issue some (including me) had is saying stuff like the service academies are better jobs. I just do not understand that argument at all. You have a lot of inherent disadvantages at service academies which never come into play elsewhere.

Doesn't feel like 2019 is a one-year regression.
Leach's overall success is dictated in large part by who his DC is. His DC hire will be huge for them. With a pedestrian defense he is a 5-7 to 7-5 coach normally. He's still a national treasure tho.

CSU isn’t a horrible job, but it’s not that great, either. What fans they do have hold on to unrealistic expectations. They fancy themselves a P5 candidate, and they just aren’t. CSU is solidly in the middle of the G5 pack.
Go through a list of the G5 programs, CSU is definitely not middle of the pack. There are what 60 teams? Again here is the breakdown.

Top tier: Houston, SDSU, UCF, USF, Memphis, Cincy,
Next tier: Boise, CSU, Fresno, North Texas, Tulane, Marshall

The other ones are tough jobs and mostly complete ****.

Go through a list of the G5 programs, CSU is definitely not middle of the pack. There are what 60 teams? Again here is the breakdown.

My biggest issue with your list- Boise not in the top-tier, but SDSU is.

Putting CSU in the same tier as Boise (and failing to put boise in the top tier) is where you lose all credibility. You can say they are a fine G5 job, but to try and say they are a top level one is a joke.

My biggest issue with your list- Boise not in the top-tier, but SDSU is.
That's fine man, you can switch either one. I just think SDSU is a hell of a lot easier to recruit to and when they get their stadium built they are going to be tough to beat.

This would be fine as long as Leach and pops help him with press conferences. I don't think he's a real contender for the job.

Putting CSU in the same tier as Boise (and failing to put boise in the top tier) is where you lose all credibility. You can say they are a fine G5 job, but to try and say they are a top level one is a joke.
Boise has been doing really well for a while but they still have to go out of state for almost all of their recruits so I am not going to put them in the top tier with the other schools. But you can, it doesn't matter to me. If you compare Boise and CSU side by side CSU wins in everything but history/tradition. You should be more dramatic though, a joke because Boise is down ONE tier, the horror.

Boise has been doing really well for a while but they still have to go out of state for almost all of their recruits so I am not going to put them in the top tier with the other schools. But you can, it doesn't matter to me. If you compare Boise and CSU side by side CSU wins in everything but history/tradition. You should be more dramatic though, a joke because Boise is down ONE tier, the horror.
CSU wins in everything but history, tradition, support, and winning. Other than that, same thing.

UNLV is historically dismal. Since inception in 1968 as a DII Indy they are 243-341-4, with 4 bowl games.
Bobby Houck went 15-49 from 2010 thru 2014; Tony Sanchez 20-40 from 2015-2019. We have relatives there. The locals Do. Not. Care. Now you may sell a few more one-off curiosity tickets once they start playing in the new venue but UNLV would be a very tough place from which to launch a HC career. Would be a bad move for Arroyo. UNR is the more stable and happenin' MWC program in NV, by quite a bit. Remember when John Robinson got sucked into the UNLV Potential story? Wash, Repeat, Rinse.....

CSU wins in everything but history, tradition, support, and winning. Other than that, same thing.
CSU has been pretty close with Boise in terms of attendance even with a lesser product on the field. They have better facilities, more money, more local talent, more booster support. Yes like I said Boise has been better, won more games and have been doing that long time.

Love the annual "How good of a job is CSU" debate!

To get the thread back on track, Tony Alford being mentioned as a serious candidate for that job. Played at CSU, has been around a lot of big time programs, and known as a pretty good recruiter, but doesn't have any coordinator experience. Rumors that Urban was in Fort Collins to do some lobbying on Alford's behalf. CSU could do worse, IMO.

Love the annual "How good of a job is CSU" debate!

To get the thread back on track, Tony Alford being mentioned as a serious candidate for that job. Played at CSU, has been around a lot of big time programs, and known as a pretty good recruiter, but doesn't have any coordinator experience. Rumors that Urban was in Fort Collins to do some lobbying on Alford's behalf. CSU could do worse, IMO.
Would be pretty cool to have AA coaches at both CU and CSU. Could be a stretch but he would recruit the hell out of that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back