What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023-24 MBB Season Thread

What is with the doom and gloom because of the Big XII bull****?
Not doom and gloom, but rather recognition of a different level of a conference. You finish 5th place in the pac 12 most years, you’re a bubble team. You finish 5th place in the new Big XII, you’re probably still a top 20 team in the country.

We went and watched three of the 6 minute scrimmages (teams switched up every time).

KJ is a boss and we still don’t seem to have another PG. Hammond is ok, but it would be really nice to have someone else and I don’t think RJ or anyone else is it. I can’t even remember if Courtney Anderson played.

Cody had a couple really nice plays, but wasn’t really aggressive overall. Not gonna worry about it, the talent is clear. Kinda wondering if he’ll start at SG. He and KJ were guarding each other a lot and he was playing PG at times too.

TDS is still really good. LOB will be solid as a tough senior, three point shot looked confident. Hadley is fine. Was disappointed by Hurlburt. He looked like he didn’t belong, could not keep up with the speed. Hopefully it was just a bad day, but who knows.

New guys. Lampkin was injured and didn’t play. Dak and Diop both looked like they could play immediately, but again I have no clue Tad’s plans and if either will redshirt. Could use more muscle but they have great length and touch around the rim.

Hoping with the new big guys that we have enough size where we aren’t crippled when our starting center has to come out. Because we seem to have loaded up there and as a result are lacking a little at guard. Would be rough if post and guard are a weak spot on the bench.

Overall it looks like we’ve got a lot of talent. Tons of new faces. Color me excited, but not as bullish as Tad lol.

#isitNovemberyet

We went and watched three of the 6 minute scrimmages (teams switched up every time).

KJ is a boss and we still don’t seem to have another PG. Hammond is ok, but it would be really nice to have someone else and I don’t think RJ or anyone else is it. I can’t even remember if Courtney Anderson played.

Cody had a couple really nice plays, but wasn’t really aggressive overall. Not gonna worry about it, the talent is clear. Kinda wondering if he’ll start at SG. He and KJ were guarding each other a lot and he was playing PG at times too.

TDS is still really good. LOB will be solid as a tough senior, three point shot looked confident. Hadley is fine. Was disappointed by Hurlburt. He looked like he didn’t belong, could not keep up with the speed. Hopefully it was just a bad day, but who knows.

New guys. Lampkin was injured and didn’t play. Dak and Diop both looked like they could play immediately, but again I have no clue Tad’s plans and if either will redshirt. Could use more muscle but they have great length and touch around the rim.

Hoping with the new big guys that we have enough size where we aren’t crippled when our starting center has to come out. Because we seem to have loaded up there and as a result are lacking a little at guard. Would be rough if post and guard are a weak spot on the bench.

Overall it looks like we’ve got a lot of talent. Tons of new faces. Color me excited, but not as bullish as Tad lol.

#isitNovemberyet
Courtney didn't play, he was in streets. I think the BDC said illness.

#isitNovemberyet
Every time I hear game reports of a player just looking lost in our program I go back to the times that we heard the same things about George King, Luke Obrien, TDS, Dominique Collier, Lucas Siewart and think if the player has the right work ethic and mentality they will become serviceable in our program, still have the same hope for Hurlburt.

Honestly I haven't done any research yet on other teams for this upcoming season, but it's interesting that KenPom has different feelings on a couple of teams than the AP poll-
  • Duke clear number 2 in the AP poll vs. 9 in KenPom
  • MichSt number 4, even with 1 number 1 vote, and 13 in KenPom
  • Baylor 20th in the AP, 7th in KenPom
  • FAU 10th in the AP vs. 37 (!) in KenPom
  • Alabama 24th in AP, 10th in KenPom
Both KenPom and the AP Voters think that the Pac12 is a very weak conference this year (the ****ing WCC has more AP ranked teams than the Pac12), and WIDE OPEN

Honestly I haven't done any research yet on other teams for this upcoming season, but it's interesting that KenPom has different feelings on a couple of teams than the AP poll-
  • Duke clear number 2 in the AP poll vs. 9 in KenPom
  • MichSt number 4, even with 1 number 1 vote, and 13 in KenPom
  • Baylor 20th in the AP, 7th in KenPom
  • FAU 10th in the AP vs. 37 (!) in KenPom
  • Alabama 24th in AP, 10th in KenPom
Both KenPom and the AP Voters think that the Pac12 is a very weak conference this year (the ****ing WCC has more AP ranked teams than the Pac12), and WIDE OPEN
The preseason AP poll is basically the voters looking at the the final AP poll last year and doing no research and ranking based on that. It's close to worthless. FAU was really good last year and made a great run to the final 4, but it's pretty unlikely they're a top 10 team this year, especially moving up a level of conference from CUSA to the American. Even though Houston and Cincy left the American for the Big XII, it's still a step up in conference.

The preseason AP poll is basically the voters looking at the the final AP poll last year and doing no research and ranking based on that. It's close to worthless. FAU was really good last year and made a great run to the final 4, but it's pretty unlikely they're a top 10 team this year, especially moving up a level of conference from CUSA to the American. Even though Houston and Cincy left the American for the Big XII, it's still a step up in conference.
Plus they were 11-2 in games decided by 5 or less that stuff almost never carries over year over year. Luck has to go back to the mean. They will be good and Dusty May is legit but they will have more losses this year.

#isitNovemberyet
Cody should start. I know Tad is calling for everyone to check their expectations about him, but he’s got to start. Sub him out if needed, but if he sits like Cormani (when the guys in front of them aren’t that good) I just won’t be able to handle it. And obviously it’s all about whether I can handle it or not.

Cody should start. I know Tad is calling for everyone to check their expectations about him, but he’s got to start. Sub him out if needed, but if he sits like Cormani (when the guys in front of them aren’t that good) I just won’t be able to handle it. And obviously it’s all about whether I can handle it or not.
I guess my wording was poor. I wasn’t wondering whether he’ll start, just whether it will be at SG or SF. I don’t know if we have another guard to start with KJ, so kinda think we go bigger lineup. KJ, Cody, TDS, **who?**, Lampkin. Maybe LOB or Hadley?

I would be really surprised if he didn’t start. And disappointed.

I guess my wording was poor. I wasn’t wondering whether he’ll start, just whether it will be at SG or SF. I don’t know if we have another guard to start with KJ, so kinda think we go bigger lineup. KJ, Cody, TDS, **who?**, Lampkin. Maybe LOB or Hadley?

I would be really surprised if he didn’t start. And disappointed.
Less that three until the season officially starts. What is everyone expecting for the Towson starting line up?

No doubt:
TDS
KJ
LOB - I think being the prior season's leading rebounder gets you a starting spot if Tad is the coach.

Pending recovery:
Lampkin - move him up a section if his back is ready to go.

Final starter spot:
Williams - If Tad is going to start a freshmen this seems like the time. Plus, if he's not assertive and needs development, it makes sense to play him with KJ and TDS. Let him learn while being the third option on offense.

6th man:
Hadley - Could see him get the final starter spot, but I like his energy and toughness off the bench

First non guard:
I thought this would be Hurlburt given his head start over Diop and Dak. Does Hurlburt need another development year or two? I'll say Diop for now, Hurlburt in case of emergency foul trouble, and Dak is a redshirt. This could change if Lampkin is not ready to go.

Backup PG:
Hammond - JHIII is going to play a lot this year

Rotation: KJ, LOB, Williams, TDS, Lampkin, Hadley, JHIII, Diop, Smith, Hurlburt (This gets shorter by conference play)
Redshirt: Anderson, Dak
Injury: Ruffin

Back