What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

Hey guys!

Bulldawg fan here, just stopping in to say congrats on a great hire. Obviously, a successful program would always like to keep it’s components in place, but that is impossible. I personally thought Mel was going to accept a job elsewhere last offseason, but was certain he was going to find a head coaching gig in 2019. We could tell he was itching for one. Good to see it will be with you fine folks up in Coloroado.

Couple quick thoughts since I’ve got some time to kill because I can’t sleep due to excitement for our game tomorrow haha...
Maybe I’m wrong, but I think this should be a pretty good hire for Colorado. As many of you have noted, Mel has as good a resume as any assistant in the nation. He brings experience from coaching in the most high profile college games, as well as at the professional level.
Mel is a plus recruiter. He obviously hasn’t recruited in your neck of the woods yet, but I imagine he will acclimate well.
You can probably expect one or two other names from the Georgia staff to follow him to Boulder.
And Georgia fans will be sad to see him leave.

I’m personally not “worried” about our future without Mel, but that isn’t because I believe he isn’t a great coach. That is simply because I know this is Kirby’s team, and I trust him to make a great hire for our next DC. (Most likely an internal promotion to keep someone from following Mel)

Here’s something of note that may continue your excitement, and I will always remember about Coach Tucker...every time a member of the media congratulated Kirby on a defensive accomplishment, he was quick to remind them that it was Mel Tucker’s defense, not his. Now, Kirby is a micromanager, and obviously deserves some credit for how our defense operates, but he knows how important Mel Tucker has been to our success.

Anyway, congrats again on a nice hire imo. If anyone has any particular questions, I’d love to try to answer anything.

Go Dawgs!

Hey guys!

Bulldawg fan here, just stopping in to say congrats on a great hire. Obviously, a successful program would always like to keep it’s components in place, but that is impossible. I personally thought Mel was going to accept a job elsewhere last offseason, but was certain he was going to find a head coaching gig in 2019. We could tell he was itching for one. Good to see it will be with you fine folks up in Coloroado.

Couple quick thoughts since I’ve got some time to kill because I can’t sleep due to excitement for our game tomorrow haha...
Maybe I’m wrong, but I think this should be a pretty good hire for Colorado. As many of you have noted, Mel has as good a resume as any assistant in the nation. He brings experience from coaching in the most high profile college games, as well as at the professional level.
Mel is a plus recruiter. He obviously hasn’t recruited in your neck of the woods yet, but I imagine he will acclimate well.
You can probably expect one or two other names from the Georgia staff to follow him to Boulder.

I’m personally not “worried” about our future without Mel, but that isn’t because I believe he isn’t a great coach. That is simply because I know this is Kirby’s team, and I trust him to make a great hire for our next DC. (Most likely an internal promotion to keep someone from following Mel)

Here’s something of note that may continue your excitement, and I will always remember about Coach Tucker...every time a member of the media congratulated Kirby on a defensive accomplishment, he was quick to remind them that it was Mel Tucker’s defense, not his. Now, Kirby is a micromanager, and obviously deserves some credit for how our defense operates, but he knows how important Mel Tucker has been to our success.

Anyway, congrats again on a nice hire imo. If anyone has any particular questions, I’d love to try to answer anything.

Go Dawgs!
This is how a classy fan posts on another team’s fan board. Thanks for the insight. Good luck tomorrow.

This is how a classy fan posts on another team’s fan board. Thanks for the insight. Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks man! I usually don’t frequent other team’s message boards, but for some reason felt compelled to share some thoughts with you guys tonight upon hearing the news.
Guess it’s because I’ve always kind of liked how you guys operate. Can’t really put a finger on it, but enjoyed the home and home series in ‘06 and ‘10. Was at the game in Athens that you guys should have won. Will never forget walking up the steps to Sanford Stadium that day after hanging around for a while after the game ended, only to still see a Colorado fan sitting with his head between his legs. I felt so bad for that guy haha. If he’s on the message board, I hope this hire brings him some much needed joy!

And as for tomorrow, thanks for the good luck. I personally think we’re going to need it lol. This Alabama team might be the best Saban has had yet. Tua is legit, especially when you surround him wih their weapons. Makes you forget about their good defense. But, Kirby has these guys ready and we’re playing our best ball of the season. I could be wrong, but this should at the very least be a close game, the first of it’s kind for Alabama this year. If it comes down to special teams, that is where we have the advantage. Got to get it to that point though haha.
I could go on forever about us, but y’all don’t care about that! Maybe the guys rally around Mel!

Hey guys!

Go Dawgs!

Thank you for the visit and the kind words and thoughts! Always had a place in my heart for Georgia because of Terrell Davis!!!
You think a few more coaches will come with Coach Tucker, which ones do you think he would like to bring?

Thank you for the visit and the kind words and thoughts! Always had a place in my heart for Georgia because of Terrell Davis!!!
You think a few more coaches will come with Coach Tucker, which ones do you think he would like to bring?

‘Ole TD! One of these best right there (person and player.) UGA certainly has a claim to being Running Back U, and he’s a big reason why.

But yes, I expect Mel to ‘poach’ a staff member or two before he heads to Boulder. I think you should keep an eye on our Outside Linebackers coach, Dan Lanning. I’m sure Tucker would love to have Glenn Schuman, our Inside LBs Coach, on staff, but I believe Kirby Smart will promote him to our new defensive coordinator.
Offensively, the belle of the ball would be Dell McGee, our Running Backs coach and ace recruiter, but Kirby paid up last year to keep him around, and I imagine will do the same this offseason. So, I’d say the name to watch on that side of the ball is James Coley, our Co-Offensive Coordinator (non-play calling) and QBs Coach.
Outside of that, possibly some support staff guys. Fernando Velasco (Assistant Director of Player Development) or Rodney Prince (Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach.)

These are just some ideas of possibilities. Some names that may pop up that y’all can keep an eye out for. Coaches on our staff that would be in line for a promotion, but are blocked currently.

‘Ole TD! One of these best right there (person and player.) UGA certainly has a claim to being Running Back U, and he’s a big reason why.

But yes, I expect Mel to ‘poach’ a few members of our staff before he heads to Boulder. I think you should keep an eye on our Outside Linebackers coach, Dan Lanning. I’m sure Tucker would love to have Glenn Schuman, our Inside LBs Coach, on staff, but I believe Kirby Smart will promote him to our new defensive coordinator.
Offensively, the belle of the ball would be Dell McGee, our Running Backs coach and ace recruiter, but Kirby paid up last year to keep him around, and I imagine will do the same this offseason. So, I’d say the name to watch on that side of the ball is James Coley, our Co-Offensive Coordinator (non-play calling) and QBs Coach.
Outside of that, possibly some support staff guys. Fernando Velasco (Assistant Director of Player Development) or Rodney Prince (Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach.)

These are just some ideas of possibilities. Some names that may pop up that y’all can keep an eye out for. Coaches on our staff that would be in line for a promotion, but are blocked currently.

Wonderful information, good luck in the Championship Game, beat Bama!!!

Cause he's a trumptard. Jesus H Christ in a chicken basket get over that s***, it's 2019 and Tucker checks all the boxes, monster recruiter, ACHC at 'Bama, DC at OSU, DC at Georgia and what, 6 years as a DC in the league. If he had less melanin in his epidermis you haters would be jizzing all over yourself's for him to be our HC. He's got a better resume than Day. Hoping he's the one.
upload_2018-12-1_2-35-3.gif

Hey guys!

Go Dawgs!

Welcome! We’ve always had great respect for the real Dawgs in college football. Mel’s gonna help us collar the purple puppies from UW.

It boggles my mind that people are turning their noses up at Tucker.
Me too as far as coordinators there is not a more qualified candidate by a mile. Sounds like Tucker is the man at Georgia. I can't say the same for Day he is heavily influenced by Kevin Wilson. Lake would be a good hire but he doesn't have near the resume as Tucker. If he comes in and grabs a solid OC we could be stellar next year. Theres plenty of talent for him to work with.

How pissed would everyone be if we went with a historical CU hire like Matt Wells or Brian Harsin? I know I would be going ape****. If we land Tucker, this is a fricking grand slam, upper decker, walk off, World Series, game seven home run.
Yeah, my ear isnt as close to the ground as many of you, but I could tell in a freaking coma Tucker is legit as balls. Heck, Fred Folsom just rose from the dead on the 50-yard line to make sure he wasn't dreaming. Heck of a job RG.

Hey guys!

Go Dawgs!
I think Georgiafan wins the all time best # likes / # posts trophy.

Not sure this is a ringing endorsement. If i were a Georgia fan I’d want to stay as far away from Colorado juju as possible.
Maybe this was some black-ops long-game strategy and it’s actually good juju.
- We **** away our season so bad that we fire our middling coach
- We hit a home run with Mel sticker from Georgia
- All CU fans go all in on support for UGA to beat Bama
- Our juju works, and UGA’s defense strangles Bama for the SEC title
- All recruits in America go “holy ****, I want to play for that guy!”

As a season ticket holder I’m neither excited or bummed. I know zilch about Coach Tucker. This hire certainly doesn’t make me want to cancel my season tickets.

I’m glad we made a hire. I trust that RG got the very best guy available and I will fully support coach Tucker. Right now I’m at the very bottom of the curve. It will be up to Coach Tucker to prove himself to me. But, for now, I fully support him and am excited to begin a new era in CU football. The slate is clean.

Back