What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU-Utah Pregame Thread

The protection was terrible but even when he had time - he doesn’t hit his throws or too often throws completions well short of the sticks. How many of his completions this year were 5 yard completions on 3rd and 9? When his first read isn’t open he bails from the pocket, then throws it away. He’s the least confident QB I’ve seen in a long time - he’s terrified of taking chances that might result in a turnover.
The games I saw in person were most definitely a route design issue. The reason nobody is ever open downfield is the combination of the routes don't get people open. On top of this when you only have to rush 4 to get consistent pressure you can drop your backers to cover the middle and use your safeties to drop in the deep zone effectively taking away those routes. So you are left with shallow crossing routes that can be completed but the backers quickly stop.

You're not going to much in the way of disagreement here-we know we're bad.

I will say this though-you'd know about teams BYU would kick the **** out of. I watched them kick the **** out of Utah two months ago.
I'm so broken hearted with the Rose Bowl looming.

I'm referring to absurd bs I kept reading here after the Alamo Bowl ly. Better hope Shrout wins the job next year if Lewis doesn't improve-because I'm still seeing a kid who is struggling making decisions.
Gary Barnett has agreed with you all season long.

Its time for him to go...Not bagging on CUs RBs but other teams have cement truck dirvers....that can out run them.
We could be better but RB is not one of our glaring issues, I don't miss Borghi.

Brousard was legitimately all-league last year, Fontenot is decent, and Smith has speed and looks like a player.

None of them are power backs but with our lack of blocking a power back would get stuffed constantly.

It's sad though when some of the best runs we have seen from our backs have been just to get back to the LOS after the play is blown up by a defender penetrating the backfield unhampered.

The games I saw in person were most definitely a route design issue. The reason nobody is ever open downfield is the combination of the routes don't get people open. On top of this when you only have to rush 4 to get consistent pressure you can drop your backers to cover the middle and use your safeties to drop in the deep zone effectively taking away those routes. So you are left with shallow crossing routes that can be completed but the backers quickly stop.
The coaching has been disastrous, there’s no excusing it at all. But I’ve also seen nothing from Lewis that inspires much confidence going forward. I would expect there to be a few glimmers where he makes a play on his own talent or does something special and I haven’t seen it at all. I really hope he gets the chance to play under new offensive staff and scheme next year but I’m in “show me” mode with him now.

The coaching has been disastrous, there’s no excusing it at all. But I’ve also seen nothing from Lewis that inspires much confidence going forward. I would expect there to be a few glimmers where he makes a play on his own talent or does something special and I haven’t seen it at all. I really hope he gets the chance to play under new offensive staff and scheme next year but I’m in “show me” mode with him now.
Agree. He showed a lot of grit and he’s a tough sob, but he’s still missing open receivers and not getting the ball out on time. He’s still young and maybe with some better coaching, he’ll grow and improve. Right now I’m hoping that Shrout’s recovery is ahead of schedule.

I'm referring to absurd bs I kept reading here after the Alamo Bowl ly. Better hope Shrout wins the job next year if Lewis doesn't improve-because I'm still seeing a kid who is struggling making decisions.
Shrout is no better. ‘22 will be AWESOME.

I am hesitant to judge any player in the offense until competant coaching is evident. Lewis hasn't shown anything great, but I don't expect a freshman to. A good coaching staff would have designed plays giving quick, definitive reads. If receivers were consistently open and he had more than 2 seconds in the pocket consistently I would be more critical.

I think the biggest failure was not building the offense around his strengths on rpo's with layered routes. The staff forced him into a system he wasn't ready for. I think they really expected and wanted JT in this offense and when that didn't happen they failed to adjust.

Back