What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

The way Minnesota shut down WSU today maybe we should look at Jay Sawvel.
Sawvel is in his first year, working for a head coach who he replaced. The head coach built their defense but it's not as good as it looked tonight. WSU didn't come to play.

Sawvel is in his first year, working for a head coach who he replaced. The head coach built their defense but it's not as good as it looked tonight. WSU didn't come to play.
Mike Leach is the worst bowl game coach of all time, IMO

What about Ty Gregorak? A young coach that is looking to take the next step. He had very good defense's at Montana St. and Montana before that. Started out at Washington so he knows the Pac-12.

What about Ty Gregorak? A young coach that is looking to take the next step. He had very good defense's at Montana St. and Montana before that. Started out at Washington so he knows the Pac-12.
Feels like his next logical step would be the G5 level, not P5 level, but I would love to track his progress and see how he performs.

I'd like to see what Gregorak can do at a P5 school first. Recruiting is a whole different animal at that level. I think he has the potential, though.

I think he's a good coach. But I'd put him in the category of "I can't see another Pac-12 program hiring him as DC", so I don't see him as a legitimate candidate at CU. Maybe as a LB Coach.

Nice article on Tumpkin in today's Post. It makes me think he has a very good shot at landing the job. Mac heaps praise on him. Specifically, Mac praised him for having a full knowledge of the defense, both the "front end" and the "back end." Then the article also says the players love the guy. I'm not sure how true all that is but if it is, I'd say he has better than a puncher's chance.

If Tumpkin can do it, that's great. We still need to add some staff elsewhere imho. Maybe Tumpkin didn't have the toys to play with at his former job?

Just curious.

You stated that it's too early to bring him in at this level and that you would like to see him recruit P5 athletes before you'd be ready to do so. Genuinely curious how you see that happening is all.
Chev managed.

CU isn't he only P5 program in existence. let's see him develop some pipelines in Texas and California or even the Northwest. That's got to be the next step in his career anyway.

Chev managed.

CU isn't he only P5 program in existence. let's see him develop some pipelines in Texas and California or even the Northwest. That's got to be the next step in his career anyway.
So you want another P5 school to hire him for the postion before we will look at him. Glad we didn't take that approach with HCMM.

You can recruit a P5 level player to a G5.

God knows we proved the converse true for a long enough time.

Reasonable position taken by Sacky IMO. Even G5 experience would help.
I agree with your point on gaining more relevant experience, and I am certainly not advocating for his hire. I just wasn't seeing the logic in saying no to him as an LB coach until he has P5 experience recruiting.

Sure. A G5 gig would probably give a pretty good indication of the caliber of player he can recruit. Going forward, recruiting is going to be critical here. MM and the current staff has done a great job of getting players into a system and playing above their projected ceilings. That's an effective way to turn around a program, by it's not a recipe for long term success. Whoever comes in here will need to be able to recruit. That's true for both the DC and the LB coach. I'm not dropping any incredible insights here, just pointing out that Gregorak, while he shows promise, probably isn't quite what we want yet. He could be in a couple years at the right program, though.

Nice article on Tumpkin in today's Post. It makes me think he has a very good shot at landing the job. Mac heaps praise on him. Specifically, Mac praised him for having a full knowledge of the defense, both the "front end" and the "back end." Then the article also says the players love the guy. I'm not sure how true all that is but if it is, I'd say he has better than a puncher's chance.

I took that as a trial balloon to the public that Tumpkin most likely has the job.

I think if Tumpkin were to be hired, it raises the question of who on the staff should get the multi-year contract.

If Tumpkin is hired, I hope a full-time special teams coordinator comes along. I wouldn't mind dropping the tight end coach, either for an LB coach...or just dropping this tight end coach.

Memphis ranked #1 in special teams efficiency (no clue how this was calculated by ESPN) and Joe Lorig coaches their special teams/outside linebackers...and coached in the region at Utah State and AZ State. Coached in TX, too, although in El Paso at UTEP and not in DFW/Houston.

http://gotigersgo.com/coaches.aspx?rc=218&path=football

Per coachingSearch.com it looks like Bowles will get another year at NY Jets. Probably rules out Kacy Rodgers as DC.

Back