What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

If Tumpkin is hired, I hope a full-time special teams coordinator comes along. I wouldn't mind dropping the tight end coach, either for an LB coach...or just dropping this tight end coach.

Memphis ranked #1 in special teams efficiency (no clue how this was calculated by ESPN) and Joe Lorig coaches their special teams/outside linebackers...and coached in the region at Utah State and AZ State. Coached in TX, too, although in El Paso at UTEP and not in DFW/Houston.

http://gotigersgo.com/coaches.aspx?rc=218&path=football
Tigers had a plus talent roster in the AAC and two great kickers. Not saying coaching did not help, but there was superior talent as,well.

HCMM had enough confidence in Chev to give him a big promotion. In hindsight, a home run. But the resume didn't scream that out.

HCMM had enough confidence in Chev to give him a big promotion. In hindsight, a home run. But the resume didn't scream that out.

Not that big of a promotion. He went from WR/STC/RC to WR/Co-OC/RC. Paid him $265k when Lindgren is at $481k and Bernardi is at $311k.

It wasn't a risky hire. It was actually a coup, considering that he was coming from a TTU offense that at the top of the nation in 2015. Lots of P5 teams would have been comfortable with making that hire.

2016 assistant salaries

Jets are retaining Todd Bowles as head coach; therefore, it's likely that Kacy Rodgers will be back as their DC. I would think you could scratch him from the DC candidates.

Does that DC (Sawvel?) at Minnesota run a 3-4? Doesn't make a lot of sense from a recruiting perspective, but what they did to Wazzu on Tuesday night was impressive

The tough part about that game is, I don't know how much of that was the Minnesota defense vice a classic Wazzu underperformance.

Does that DC (Sawvel?) at Minnesota run a 3-4? Doesn't make a lot of sense from a recruiting perspective, but what they did to Wazzu on Tuesday night was impressive

Fortunately or unfortunately Huard kept pointing out that CU laid the blueprint out on how to defend wazzu. Hopefully Tumpkin remembers it.

To those of you that will be grading Tumpkin tonight on the DC job he does, what are some of the benchmarks you'd like to see? (aside from the obvious of them not scoring) what else would you like to see out of him?

I personally will be watching to see how aggressive we get with our blitzes as well as half time adjustments. They run a lot of weird formations with the RBs in the backfield, I'm curious how we are going to handle that.

To those of you that will be grading Tumpkin tonight on the DC job he does, what are some of the benchmarks you'd like to see? (aside from the obvious of them not scoring) what else would you like to see out of him?

I personally will be watching to see how aggressive we get with our blitzes as well as half time adjustments. They run a lot of weird formations with the RBs in the backfield, I'm curious how we are going to handle that.
Team energy, players helping each other out instead of looking towards the sidelines for instructions, no blown assignments, no substitution issues, no personal foul penalties, and smiles all around.

For as good of a team as OSU has, their o-line play has been horrid. I want to see Rudolph on his back and not given enough time to do consistently roll out of the pocket and throw that makes him dangerous. Also, no offsides beyond the first drive, and limited personal fouls (one hit on the qb/punter is forgiveable if early, hits out of bounds are not).

I don't know that I'm evaluating him on tonight so much as wanting to get a feel for how he coordinates. Do I find him predictable? Does he favor pressure or max coverage? That kind of thing.

Not that big of a promotion. He went from WR/STC/RC to WR/Co-OC/RC. Paid him $265k when Lindgren is at $481k and Bernardi is at $311k.

It wasn't a risky hire. It was actually a coup, considering that he was coming from a TTU offense that at the top of the nation in 2015. Lots of P5 teams would have been comfortable with making that hire.

2016 assistant salaries
I'll rephrase it. He went from coaching at a Juco in Calif to 2 years at TTU (only one coaching in the offense) to our CO-OC coach. That's fast-track. Simply was trying to use it as an example that I don't think that HCMM needs to hire a DC with a giant national reputation as a DC.

Tumpkin did not impress as dc. About as bland and vanilla as the offense looked. Blitzes were predictable, pass rush non existent, coverage was pretty soft. Mac saying everybody was injured (eye roll).

Just own that pos that was laid on the field. Pretty unimpressive performance across the board.

Pass on a promotion of Tumpkin, but I hope he doesn't decide to follow Leavitt to Duckland. DeRuyter please. Better fit for us from a recruiting perspective.

With the bowl game over and in the middle of the recruiting dead period will we start to hear some possible news soon?

If it is somebody off some other college staff it may wait until after LOI day. If M2 has another NFL guy coming it will be after that team is eliminated so could be any time after Sunday.

A name that I hadn't thought about in a while who should be on the list of DC interviews is Duane Akina.
akina.jpg

Current position
TitleDefensive backs coach
TeamStanford
Biographical details
Bornc. 1958 (age 57–58)
Honolulu, HI
Playing career
1976-1979Washington
Position(s)QB
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1979–1980Washington (GA)
1981–1982Hawaiʻi (DB)
1983Hawaiʻi (OLB)
1984–1985Hawaiʻi (DB)
1986Calgary Stampeders (DB)
1987–1991Arizona (DB)
1992–1995Arizona (DC)
1996–2000Arizona (DB)
2001–2002Texas (DB)
2003–2004Texas (Asst. HC/DB)
2005–2007Texas co-DC/DB
2008–2010Texas (asst HC/DB)
2011Arizona (DB)
2011–2014Texas (Asst HC/DB)
2014–presentStanford (DB)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

There's nobody better as a DB Coach, he's got the respect and ties to the islands that CU has been missing, and he's just spent 3 years in the Stanford system which is mostly a 1-gap 34 front (they 2-gap about 25% of the time like we do to mix it up and bring pressure) and they also press with physical coverage from their corners.

Not concerned he's basically Greg Brown? Career DB coach?

That's the question mark with him, for sure. I would think that Stanford not being on the upcoming schedules (back with Cal for a couple years) makes it a possibility, though.

Here's another name-what about Tuiaki from BYU? He's been an assistant in Hawaii, and hed be the best recruiter in the islands weve had in years. Drawback I see is he is an LDS member.

Back