What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

Don't really see a lot of ties for Diaco to the Western U.S. or areas within CU's traditional recruiting footprint, but that's about the only "negative" I could offer. Would be a really good get.

MacIntyre should be able to make a splash with this DC hire.
Don't necessarily agree, because if I was a top DC, this is how I'd look at it:

1. More room to go down than up.
2. raw talent is a question mark since so many key starters graduate and backups are unknowns who weren't highly rated as high schools.
3. Head Coach is a Defensive guy, am I running my system or his? Rather be the DC for an offensive HC.
4. Pay. Will CU pay (and should they pay) for a top few type DC given #3 above?

Funds are always limited and I'd contend that DC is a place you don't have to pay a guy like Diaco, with that money saved better used elsewhere on staff.

Sure... except you tend to hate on most of those superstar recruiters we could spend money on.

(Edit: Oops, I see the exact same points have been made)Bob Diaco is available now, although most of his contacts appear to be out of primary recruiting territory:
1996–1997Iowa (GA)
1999–2000Western Illinois (RB/ST)
2001Eastern Michigan (RB/ST)
2002Eastern Michigan (LB/ST)
2003Eastern Michigan (OLB/ST)
2004Western Michigan (LB/ST)
2005Central Michigan (Co-DC/LB)
2006–2008Virginia (LB/ST)
2009Cincinnati (DC/ILB)
2010Notre Dame (DC/ILB)
2011Notre Dame (DC/LB)
2012–2013Notre Dame (AHC/DC/LB)
2014–2016Connecticut
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Bob Diaco is available now, although most of his contacts appear to be out of primary recruiting territory:
1996–1997Iowa (GA)
1999–2000Western Illinois (RB/ST)
2001Eastern Michigan (RB/ST)
2002Eastern Michigan (LB/ST)
2003Eastern Michigan (OLB/ST)
2004Western Michigan (LB/ST)
2005Central Michigan (Co-DC/LB)
2006–2008Virginia (LB/ST)
2009Cincinnati (DC/ILB)
2010Notre Dame (DC/ILB)
2011Notre Dame (DC/LB)
2012–2013Notre Dame (AHC/DC/LB)
2014–2016Connecticut
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
giphy.gif

I've never been a fan of making a splash just for the sake of making a splash. Hire a good coach, pay him well, and let him do what he needs to do. If that guy happens to be a recognizable name, fine. Just don't let that be a deciding factor.
Exactly. The big DC splash CU was looking at the last time is bombing at Texas Tech. Should really use that "big splash hire" with caution.

I was never implying making a splash hire just to make a splash hire. But I think there are enough good options out there that there is a good chance it will end up being a splash hire.

Like Diaco, but I would rather hire Peter Sirmon away from Mississippi State.

Can I ask why? Poor defense this season in his one and only year running a defense. If anything, seems like he has ridden the coattails of Justin Wilcox more than anything.

I was never implying making a splash hire just to make a splash hire. But I think there are enough good options out there that there is a good chance it will end up being a splash hire.
I can agree with this. Diaco would certainly fit the description if we go that direction.
Something else to consider is that making a splash hire would also likely lead to that hire taking another position in a couple years. Like Leavitt. Still, nobody is complaining about the job he did and if something similar happens in two or three years that will mean we are still playing at a high level.

Anyone concerned with deruyter taking a year off? I haven't seen his name mentioned for anything which doesn't make a lot of sense.

I've never been a fan of making a splash just for the sake of making a splash. Hire a good coach, pay him well, and let him do what he needs to do. If that guy happens to be a recognizable name, fine. Just don't let that be a deciding factor.

I agree. The big names we've been focusing on, though, are all very successful 3-4 defensive coordinators from the college or pro ranks (Diaco, DeRuyter, Rodgers). Diaco & Rodgers in the same system tree as MacIntyre. DeRuyter with the ties to CO, TX and CA from his time at AFA, aTm & Fresno State. Much more than "names", they're great fits who are damn good at this job.

How about Tosh Lupoi - has some baggage but can handle the intensity and recruiting part of the job. In Alabama now but is a west coast guy.

I agree. The big names we've been focusing on, though, are all very successful 3-4 defensive coordinators from the college or pro ranks (Diaco, DeRuyter, Rodgers). Diaco & Rodgers in the same system tree as MacIntyre. DeRuyter with the ties to CO, TX and CA from his time at AFA, aTm & Fresno State. Much more than "names", they're great fits who are damn good at this job.
I like all three of them. Diaco's lack of CO, CA or TX ties is a minor drawback compared to his ability as a DC. I didn't see where he and MacIntyre coached in the same system. What system tree did they coach together in?

Back