What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

Do our assistants attend AFCA also, or just the HC? I'm thinking the networking that goes on there might explain some of these random connections.
Some assistants do, not sure if Klayton did but Chev was there. But it has been a week since the AFCA, so it's hard to say.

D.J. Eliot is in his fourth year as the defensive coordinator. He will also serve as the outside linebackers coach.
Last season, the Wildcats ranked in the top half of the Southeastern Conference in passing yards allowed and touchdown passes allowed, while Kentucky’s 2014 defense created 23 turnovers, including a school-record six returned for TDs. The Wildcats finished second in the SEC in turnover margin and made significant improvements in yards allowed per play. UK jumped 45 places in the rankings from 2013 to 2014, finishing in the top half of the nation in that statistic. The Cats also improved to sixth in the SEC in quarterback sacks.
6_2997947.jpg

In his first three years with UK, Eliot has seen eight of his defensive players earn All-SEC recognition and four have become NFL draft choices. In 2016, linebacker Josh Forrest was drafted in the sixth round by the Los Angeles Rams, while Alvin “Bud” Dupree was taken in the first round by Pittsburgh and Za’Darius Smith was a fourth-round pick by Baltimore in the 2015 draft.
Eliot’s top linebackers, Avery Williamson in 2013 and Forrest in 2014, each totaled more than 100 tackles, finished among the SEC’s top-five tacklers and earned All-SEC honors.
Prior to UK, Eliot helped Mark Stoops orchestrate a magnificent revival of the defense at Florida State, where Eliot coached defensive ends from 2010-12. In 2012, he helped lead FSU to one of the best defensive campaigns in school history en route to a 12-2 record, the Atlantic Coast Conference championship and a 2013 Orange Bowl victory.
The year before Eliot and Stoops arrived in Tallahassee, the Seminoles ranked 108th in total defense and rushing defense. But in 2012, FSU ranked second nationally in total defense (254.1 yards per game) and sixth in scoring defense (14.7 points per game). FSU also allowed only 3.86 yards per play, leading the nation in that category. In each of Eliot’s first two years on the job, FSU ranked among the nation’s top-10 teams in sacks and the top 25 in tackles for loss. Eliot’s players also had outstanding individual achievements.
  • Bjoern Werner had 13 sacks in 2012, leading the ACC and tying for third nationally in sacks. He was first-team All-America and the ACC Defensive Player of the Year. He was a first-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.
  • Brandon Jenkins earned All-ACC honors in 2010 and ‘11 before sustaining a season-ending injury in the 2012 opener. Despite not playing the remainder of the year, he was still a fifth-round selection in the NFL Draft.
  • After Jenkins’ injury, Cornellius Carradine went from FSU backup to joining Werner as first-team All-ACC. He had 11 sacks, second in the ACC behind his teammate, and 15th nationally. He went in the second round of the NFL Draft.
  • Under Eliot’s guidance, Markus White had a breakout season in 2010 and played three seasons in the NFL.
Werner and Carradine formed the top defensive end tandem in the nation in 2012 with a combined 24 sacks and 31 total tackles for loss. In 2011, FSU limited opponents to just 2.35 yards per carry, which led the nation in that category. In Eliot’s first season at FSU, the ‘Noles tied for the national lead for most sacks with 48.
Eliot and Stoops first became acquainted at Wyoming, where Stoops coached the defensive backs while Eliot played linebacker. The two coached together at Wyoming as Eliot was a graduate assistant in 1999.
The two continued to work together in 2000 when Stoops joined the staff at the University of Houston as the co-defensive coordinator/safeties coach and Eliot was a graduate assistant. Eliot remained at Houston through 2001 before rejoining Stoops in 2002 at Miami (Fla.) as a grad assistant. The two helped lead the Canes to a 12-1 record and a berth in the Fiesta Bowl.
Eliot earned his first full-time coaching position in 2003 at Texas State. The Bobcats went from a 4-8 record to 5-6 to 11-3 in the 2005 season, which featured a Southland Conference championship and a berth in the semifinals of the Division I-AA playoffs.
Eliot helped lead a defensive turnaround at Texas State. In his first season, TSU gave up 34.8 points per game, 394.6 yards per game and 191.3 rushing yards per game. Two years later, the Bobcats gave up only 20.3 points per game, 313.9 yards per game and 136.2 rushing yards per game.
Eliot moved from Texas State to Tulsa, helping lead the Golden Hurricane to an 8-5 record and an appearance in the 2006 Armed Forces Bowl. As linebackers coach, Eliot developed Nick Bunting into the Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year and all three of his LBs, Bunting, Nelson Coleman and Chris Chamberlain, earned All-CUSA honors. Chamberlain played several years in the NFL.
After Tulsa, Eliot coached three seasons (2007-2009) at Rice as the recruiting coordinator and defensive line coach. His best year was in 2008 when the Owls went 10-3 and won the Texas Bowl. It was a historic season, serving as the Owls’ first 10-win season since 1949 and first bowl victory since 1950.
Two of the players Eliot recruited and developed were defensive ends Scott Solomon and Cheta Ozougwu, who led Conference USA linemen in 2009 with 124 combined tackles along with 21 tackles for loss and 11 sacks. Both Solomon and Ozougwu became All-CUSA selections and are in the NFL.
A native of Edmond, Okla., Eliot graduated from Wyoming with a degree in natural science. He earned a master’s degree in education at Houston. He and his wife, Miekel, have one son, Dawson, and three daughters, Drue, Page and Reace.
ELIOT COACHING HISTORY

YearSchoolPosition, Postseason
1999WyomingGraduate Assistant
2000-01HoustonGraduate Assistant
2002Miami (Fla.)Graduate Assistant, one bowl game
2003Texas StateDefensive Backs
2004-05Texas StateLinebackers, Division I-AA playoffs
2006TulsaLinebackers, one bowl game
2007-09RiceRecruiting Coord., Defensive Line, one bowl game
2010-12Florida StateDefensive Ends, three bowl games
2013-Pres.KentuckyDefensive Coordinator, Linebackers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited by a moderator:
Elliot looks good to me. Of course, the longer this takes the more anyone looks good.
He graduated from Wyoming and has spent a lot of time in Texas, which are both pluses. UK runs a multiple set defense using the 3-4 a lot. Working with Stoops, he probably has picked up a lot too. I'm in. Go get him Mac.

actually, it is totally insane. here's why: cabral had been a colorado state employee long enough that he could draw his retirement pay so he did. and, as long as he works out of state, he can still draw that retirement pay. this is the primary reason he's not coaching at pueblo or something. anyhow...

That type of guy isn't what MM wants, as evidenced by the flirtation with Peter Sirmon. This is going to be a younger assistant coach who is looking to take a step into a coordinator role and be willing to work for a defensive minded coach who wants to be very active with the defense.

Okay, enough MM, find your guy and lets stop ****ing around. Too crucial of a time in recruiting to being ho humming it down the stretch.

Don't we pretty much already know we're on to at least plan b? They had a guy lined up and about a week ago he decided to go to another school.

In fairness, MacIntyre was at least Plan B when he was hired. Leavitt was at least Plan C behind Rodgers and Gibbs. I'm not bothered by not getting Plan A because there are a lot of excellent coaches out there and finding the right fit is kind of a crapshoot. (Exhibit A would be Art Kaufman who killed it as DC at TTU but failed at Cal - which is really hard to explain.)

No, what's bothering me is that the process should not take over a month.

No real argument with you on the timeline, @Buffnik. I think MM always intended to wait until after they got back from the bowl game to make the new hire, and he was on track to do that until shenanigans ensued. That decision to wait until after the bowl is starting to look more and more suspect, to me at least. Still hoping for the best.

In fairness, MacIntyre was at least Plan B when he was hired. Leavitt was at least Plan C behind Rodgers and Gibbs. I'm not bothered by not getting Plan A because there are a lot of excellent coaches out there and finding the right fit is kind of a crapshoot. (Exhibit A would be Art Kaufman who killed it as DC at TTU but failed at Cal - which is really hard to explain.)

No, what's bothering me is that the process should not take over a month.
This... RG even said its about finding the right guy, but we also have to do it in a timely manner... and while we are a very impatient bunch, I think we are past that timely point...

OK. Everyone else who wanted a DC may have one now. So maybe CU can make a hire.

I'd be happy with Ruffin McNeill at this point. I think he and Mac would get along well actually. Maybe too well.

Wisconsin
There are always people on the board who say that they want the CU football program to emulate Wisconsin's football program, so it looks like a lot of people should be happy about the fact that we must truly be on the right track now.

Back