What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*OFFICIAL* Deion Sanders aka Coach Prime is the new CU Football Head Coach thread

- Barnett says last year 57% of transfers that applied got in. Under the new transfer rules, 97% of them would have gotten in
- Barnett says Prime is way ahead of the rest of the country on NIL type stuff. Says the Prime documentaries he did at JSU got all their players paid under NIL
- Says Prime is going to run the program like an NFL organization, which is how big programs have to be run now

Anything else worth mentioning?
I found GB's commentary about how Coach Prime left JSU very interesting. Basically told all the listeners to go watch the youtube videos, and that would tell them everything they need to know about what kind of man Coach Prime is and how much his players love him. Then said that he (GB) wishes he had had the class and awareness to leave jobs he had to leave that way. I found that comment to be the highest praise from one coach to another.

Also commented at another point in the interview about how Coach Prime is one of the smartest, most professional people he has ever met, and he surrounds himself with amazingly talented people.

I found GB's commentary about how Coach Prime left JSU very interesting. Basically told all the listeners to go watch the youtube videos, and that would tell them everything they need to know about what kind of man Coach Prime is and how much his players love him. Then said that he (GB) wishes he had had the class and awareness to leave jobs he had to leave that way. I found that comment to be the highest praise from one coach to another.

Also commented at another point in the interview about how Coach Prime is one of the smartest, most professional people he has ever met, and he surrounds himself with amazingly talented people.
If GB had been savvy while he was a HC about dealing with people and the bs that seems like a distraction from the mission, he'd be in the CFB HOF today. Purely on coaching / running a team, he was elite.

After watching a few of the videos and a handful of documentary segments, it occurs to me that HCPT has an impressive memory. He corrected RG during the press conference with a minute detail when they first chatted. He brings up little specific details when he talks with his players and what they did or said a few weeks earlier. Many other examples I've noticed. It's an critical characteristic when developing relationships that go more than skin deep and he's clearly very successful with that.

I totally suck at it.

After watching a few of the videos and a handful of documentary segments, it occurs to me that HCPT has an impressive memory. He corrected RG during the press conference with a minute detail when they first chatted. He brings up little specific details when he talks with his players and what they did or said a few weeks earlier. Many other examples I've noticed. It's an critical characteristic when developing relationships that go more than skin deep and he's clearly very successful with that.

I totally suck at it.
same.

If GB had been savvy while he was a HC about dealing with people and the bs that seems like a distraction from the mission, he'd be in the CFB HOF today. Purely on coaching / running a team, he was elite.
I have a slightly different opinion, but won't argue your point because it requires we get into a lot of nuance. What he did at NW made him a legend in the coaching world

I totally suck at it.
Yep. I probably had a bit of an assumption going in that he was so much with the shine on him that he'd be thinking about what he'd say or do next when others are talking. What I've seen has been the opposite. Even when he's playing and messing with people with that sense of humor he has, it's clear that he's focused and engaged with what people are saying and what's happening around him. He doesn't miss a trick.

I have a slightly different opinion, but won't argue your point because it requires we get into a lot of nuance. What he did at NW made him a legend in the coaching world
He also quit recruiting anyone that sniffed anything other than "I want to be a Buff" after the Ochs/Houston sagas. That was really his downfall. He used the recruiting restrictions as a shield. I suspect he had input because he just didn't want to deal with it anymore.

That has as much as anything to do with what led to our downfall.

It isn't his fault we haven't been able to pick ourselves back up, but he became a part of the problem in his later years and I'm sure he is fully, acutely aware of it upon reflection.

He also quit recruiting anyone that sniffed anything other than "I want to be a Buff" after the Ochs/Houston sagas. That was really his downfall. He used the recruiting restrictions as a shield. I suspect he had input because he just didn't want to deal with it anymore.

That has as much as anything to do with what led to our downfall.

It isn't his fault we haven't been able to pick ourselves back up, but he became a part of the problem in his later years and I'm sure he is fully, acutely aware of it upon reflection.
I will defend him here. This was the University and their knee jerk reaction. I honestly don't think GB had a choice in the matter short of quitting. While the admin periodically loosened up during this time, I think it is probably the biggest reason we have sucked for 20 years.

I will defend him here. This was the University and their knee jerk reaction. I honestly don't think GB had a choice in the matter short of quitting. While the admin periodically loosened up during this time, I think it is probably the biggest reason we have sucked for 20 years.
I 100% disagree.

I understand he went along with it because he was so done with the process/feeling burnt from what happened with Ochs and Houston.

He took the philosophy of: We know we can scheme really well, who needs those guys!

BUT, we may never know what really happened.

The documentary thing isn't something I had thought about. Get Amazon Prime to do a Hard Knocks style series of the offseason and split the money across all the players. Something that very few programs will be able to offer.
He could 100% sell this concept to a Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Prime, etc.; and I would be *SHOCKED* if he's not already thinking along these lines.

I totally suck at it.
I can't even remember people's names 10 seconds after they tell me. Literally.

Yep. I played golf with my brother-in-law of 20 years and forgot his name for 9 holes.
rick james cocaine GIF

I have a confession. While absolutely giddy over our great fortune, I am fighting a feeling of dread that it all will come crashing down. That’s what experiencing 20 years of one disaster after another, of believing the corner has finally been turned only to have a head on with a locomotive, will do for one’s psyche.

I have a confession. I am fighting a feeling of dread that our good fortune will come crashing down. That’s what experiencing 20 years of one disaster after another, of believing the corner has finally been turned only to have a head on with a locomotive, will do for one’s psyche.
1. We had over a week of all indications being that Coach Prime was coming to CU. Fan base reaction: "I refuse to believe it until it's official. DOOM is likely around the corner."

2. Saturday through Tuesday is then a celebration as it not only becomes 100%, but then Coach Prime starts blowing away all notions on what could be quickly achieved with staff, transfers and recruits. Fan base reaction: "More excited than anytime since the 2001 season. Permasmile. Is this really happening?" Then by Tuesday evening... "DOOM is likely around the corner."

Damn is this a battered group. It's gonna take some time for everyone to get used to good things happening as our norm.

I have a confession. While absolutely giddy over our great fortune, I am fighting a feeling of dread that it all will come crashing down. That’s what experiencing 20 years of one disaster after another, of believing the corner has finally been turned only to have a head on with a locomotive, will do for one’s psyche.
This is why I’ve been emphasizing the size of RG’s job. In 24-36 months, we will need a minimum of $20 million per season for football coaching salaries alone. We cannot lose NIL traction. We must admit recruited players. We must continue to upgrade facilities and the gameday experience.

1. We had over a week of all indications being that Coach Prime was coming to CU. Fan base reaction: "I refuse to believe it until it's official. DOOM is likely around the corner."

2. Saturday through Tuesday is then a celebration as it not only becomes 100%, but then Coach Prime starts blowing away all notions on what could be quickly achieved with staff, transfers and recruits. Fan base reaction: "More excited than anytime since the 2001 season. Permasmile. Is this really happening?" Then by Tuesday evening... "DOOM is likely around the corner."

Damn is this a battered group. It's gonna take some time for everyone to get used to good things happening as our norm.
Well, that's because doom is coming. Without a doubt.

Back