What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*OFFICIAL* Deion Sanders aka Coach Prime is the new CU Football Head Coach thread

I don’t have a crystal ball of what the going rate will be, neither do you. We are in agreement though, that whatever it is, it will be worth every penny if we are in either of those scenarios
You don’t need a crystal ball. The highest paid coaches make base salaries in the $9.5-$10mm range. Their bonuses (many attainable for the quality of their teams) put them in the $10.5-$11mm range. Then their on field assistants make another $7-$10mm depending upon the school and bonus structures. Add in analysts, assistants, and other misc. infrastructure people, you’re already in the ballpark of what I’ve described.

Plus, assuming Prime does what we think he will do, Prime would be the target of several schools that would up the ante. To keep him, it is $20mm minimum for him and his staff just to match similar market offers for a coach who can recruit lights out and coaches players to 9-11+ wins.

You don’t need a crystal ball. The highest paid coaches make base salaries in the $9.5-$10mm range. Their bonuses (many attainable for the quality of their teams) put them in the $10.5-$11mm range. Then their on field assistants make another $7-$10mm depending upon the school and bonus structures. Add in analysts, assistants, and other misc. infrastructure people, you’re already in the ballpark of what I’ve described.

Plus, assuming Prime does what we think he will do, Prime would be the target of several schools that would up the ante. To keep him, it is $20mm minimum for him and his staff just to match similar market offers for a coach who can recruit lights out and coaches players to 9-11+ wins.
Agree with all this. I also recognize that these are going up every year, and I totally see a scenario where a school comes in and make Prime an insanely unprecedented offer that we would have to compete with. Rhetorically, what do we do if an Ohio State comes in after year three and offers Prime 150% of what you outline?

Agree with all this. I also recognize that these are going up every year, and I totally see a scenario where a school comes in and make Prime an insanely unprecedented offer that we would have to compete with. Rhetorically, what do we do if an Ohio State comes in after year three and offers Prime 150% of what you outline?
You call your donors and match/beat the offer. $30mm is the number I think we’ve got to hit anyway. $20mm is just the ante.

And if he has us competing for playoff spots and is bringing in top recruits every year, three years from now...you find a way to pay that.

1. We had over a week of all indications being that Coach Prime was coming to CU. Fan base reaction: "I refuse to believe it until it's official. DOOM is likely around the corner."

2. Saturday through Tuesday is then a celebration as it not only becomes 100%, but then Coach Prime starts blowing away all notions on what could be quickly achieved with staff, transfers and recruits. Fan base reaction: "More excited than anytime since the 2001 season. Permasmile. Is this really happening?" Then by Tuesday evening... "DOOM is likely around the corner."

Damn is this a battered group. It's gonna take some time for everyone to get used to good things happening as our norm.
training day archer GIF

The exposure we’ve received in the past 3 days alone is probably worth the $5.5M base salary in year one. Every news and sports outlet talking about CU for the first time in a long time.
My morning guy Keyshawn talking about CU being his favorite team now next to USC on a National show two days in a row. A lot of big former players want to come help and be a part of this now.
There’s a wave of momentum and love for CU. People talking about 3 black HC’s in a row nationally and 4 out of the past 5.
That is valuable marketing.
Deion will be worth $25-50M a year to the University/AD easily so if we step up to boost his contract after 1 or 2 years I will be delighted.

The exposure we’ve received in the past 3 days alone is probably worth the $5.5M base salary in year one. Every news and sports outlet talking about CU for the first time in a long time.
My morning guy Keyshawn talking about CU being his favorite team now next to USC on a National show two days in a row. A lot of big former players want to come help and be a part of this now.
There’s a wave of momentum and love for CU. People talking about 3 black HC’s in a row nationally and 4 out of the past 5.
That is valuable marketing.
Deion will be worth $25-50M a year to the University/AD easily so if we step up to boost his contract after 1 or 2 years I will be delighted.
Yep, I walked into my bank in Charlotte, NC with my CU jacket on yesterday and all this guy wanted to talk about was Coach Prime and CU! Absolutely an astounding experience! :happy::happy:

my brother is much more of a sports junkie than I am. we had dinner with his family last night.

usually, between the two of us, he's the super fan with unrealistic expectations for his/our teams.

Bart and I have been talking mostly about Deion Sanders for the last few weeks.

Bart: I'm actually worried that you're getting your hopes up a bit too high
Mags: <exasperated tone> really?!?!?! you think hokiehead might be doing that?
Bart: just a little :) <turns to me> your prediction that Colorado will make a bowl next year... how many games did you win this year?
hokiehead: one
Bart: see.... I just don't think Deion can bring in enough players, and get them to gel together in time to turn it around that much
hokiehead: Lincoln Riley! Brian Kelly!
Bart: but those guys had something to work with. Did Colorado leave Deion any talent?
hokiehead: no, but you don't understand. it's everything I can do to not update prediction from "a bowl next year" to "win the Pac 12 and compete for a playoff spot"
Bart: CFP doesn't expand until the year after.
h: I know that!
B: you're insane
h: well, yeah, but that has nothing to do with this. we'll see! <turn to my nephew> Jake, are you going to be OK if we talk about nothing but Deion Sanders during the Tech hoops game tomorrow?
Jake: yeah!

Yep, I walked into my bank in Charlotte, NC with my CU jacket on yesterday and all this guy wanted to talk about was Coach Prime and CU! Absolutely an astounding experience! :happy::happy:

A guy this morning in our cafeteria saw my CU jacket and immediately started talking about Prime and the video of him addressing the team. Then as we're talking a friend of his walks by and he's like hey man, look this guy's got a Colorado jacket on. And then he proceeded to talk about Tyrin Taylor who is from this area. It got me fired up, let's go baby!!

Needless to say previously people very rarely if ever mentioned CU when I was wearing gear.

A guy this morning in our cafeteria saw my CU jacket and immediately started talking about Prime and the video of him addressing the team. Then as we're talking a friend of his walks by and he's like hey man, look this guy's got a Colorado jacket on. And then he proceeded to talk about Tyrin Taylor who is from this area. It got me fired up, let's go baby!!

Needless to say previously people very rarely if ever mentioned CU when I was wearing gear.
My son-in-law who is a dyed in the wool Tarheels fan is even getting excited about the Buffs:
Screenshot_20221207_094643_Messages.jpg

my brother is much more of a sports junkie than I am. we had dinner with his family last night.

usually, between the two of us, he's the super fan with unrealistic expectations for his/our teams.

Bart and I have been talking mostly about Deion Sanders for the last few weeks.

Bart: I'm actually worried that you're getting your hopes up a bit too high
Mags: <exasperated tone> really?!?!?! you think hokiehead might be doing that?
Bart: just a little :) <turns to me> your prediction that Colorado will make a bowl next year... how many games did you win this year?
hokiehead: one
Bart: see.... I just don't think Deion can bring in enough players, and get them to gel together in time to turn it around that much
hokiehead: Lincoln Riley! Brian Kelly!
Bart: but those guys had something to work with. Did Colorado leave Deion any talent?
hokiehead: no, but you don't understand. it's everything I can do to not update prediction from "a bowl next year" to "win the Pac 12 and compete for a playoff spot"
Bart: CFP doesn't expand until the year after.
h: I know that!
B: you're insane
h: well, yeah, but that has nothing to do with this. we'll see! <turn to my nephew> Jake, are you going to be OK if we talk about nothing but Deion Sanders during the Tech hoops game tomorrow?
Jake: yeah!
I lean toward Bart here. Prime is doing a great job doing demolition. His design team is still being put together and he hasn’t begun construction yet. He has 8 months to complete Phase 1 of the rebuild.

There is a lot of hype about all of the 4 and 5 star players he’s going to bring in but at this point there is one 5 star but he is in the ‘25 class. I’ll be nervous until we start getting LOI’s.

Prime is a one of a kind man, and sadly there are people who just want to grift off of a successful person who is trusting and charitable.

I see why he is here, and we need to do everything perfect. Start by getting rid of PD

Back