What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*OFFICIAL* Deion Sanders aka Coach Prime is the new CU Football Head Coach thread

This is why I’ve been emphasizing the size of RG’s job. In 24-36 months, we will need a minimum of $20 million per season for football coaching salaries alone. We cannot lose NIL traction. We must admit recruited players. We must continue to upgrade facilities and the gameday experience.

And keep Prime here if we can. I feel like 3 years is what we need to change a culture, build a program, and establish ourselves as a national destination.

**** that. I want Prime to win and in 3 years, I want CU to give him $12m/year and a $10m salary pool, along with literally anything else he asks for, including stadium renovations, facility upgrades, etc. because $22-25m/year is going to be chump change compared to the money being thrown at this program at that point

**** that. I want Prime to win and in 3 years, I want CU to give him $12m/year and a $10m salary pool, along with literally anything else he asks for, including stadium renovations, facility upgrades, etc. because $22-25m/year is going to be chump change compared to the money being thrown at this program at that point
I believe

To be clear: those are the things I believe RG will need to do in order to keep Prime. He’s gonna need to be a rainmaker and Ray Donovan from Season One all at once.
Yep! Big and SEC schools are going to come hard and they have to TV money to back up their bets.

In three years my guess is 13-17 Mil per year to keep him.

(+10 for the Ray Donovan reference).

To be clear, I wrote a minimum of $20 million per year. A 10/10, 11/9, or 12/8 HC/AC split (NOT including the Prime Coaching Academy members and other support staff) is what I envision as mandatory minimums. Agree that going to $30 million for everyone including HC, ACs, Prime Coaching Academy members, and other support staff would be more ideal.

To be clear, I wrote a minimum of $20 million per year. A 10/10, 11/9, or 12/8 HC/AC split (NOT including the Prime Coaching Academy members and other support staff) is what I envision as manadatory minimums. Agree that going to $30 million for everyone including HC, ACs, Prime Coaching Academy members, and other support staff would be more ideal.
If we are in, or threatening the playoffs at that point, the latter is a no-brainer. If we are competing for league championships I think we can get away with less with incentives

To be clear, I wrote a minimum of $20 million per year. A 10/10, 11/9, or 12/8 HC/AC split (NOT including the Prime Coaching Academy members and other support staff) is what I envision as mandatory minimums. Agree that going to $30 million for everyone including HC, ACs, Prime Coaching Academy members, and other support staff would be more ideal.
The other part of the discussion is the impact on Pac-12 (or Big 12) viewership with a CU that is competing for playoff spots.

I think that it might level the playing field a bit.

For instance, Would a #3 CU vs #10 Oregon matchup draw the same amount of eyeballs as say a #5 Michigan vs a #15 Wisconsin?

The other part of the discussion is the impact on Pac-12 (or Big 12) viewership with a CU that is competing for playoff spots.

I think that it might level the playing field a bit.

For instance, Would a #3 CU vs #10 Oregon matchup draw the same amount of eyeballs as say a #5 Michigan vs a #15 Wisconsin?
I’m only concerned about winning and keeping a once in a lifetime person as our HC. Ratings and conferences will solve themselves.

Agree. I am just saying, I don’t want the mindset of leadership to be, let’s have Prime rebuild the program and brand over the next 2-3 years and then wish him well. They have now shown the willingness to compete. If a coach shows he’s worth it, they need to be willing to making him a top 3-5 highest paid coach, IMO

Listening to the man, when (not if) he accomplishes his goals, he elevates to the next challenge. I don't see him being a fixture anywhere.

You are wrong. If Colorado is competing for league championships, the amount I described will be the minimum buyin for Prime’s services.
I don’t have a crystal ball of what the going rate will be, neither do you. We are in agreement though, that whatever it is, it will be worth every penny if we are in either of those scenarios

and Rich Eisen...

If he proves that someone that was a Brand before he was a coach can blow it all up so easily I think you see a few more flashy guys make this move. If you pull in a top 10 class out of the portal that puts A LOT of traditional coaches in a hard place.

After watching a few of the videos and a handful of documentary segments, it occurs to me that HCPT has an impressive memory. He corrected RG during the press conference with a minute detail when they first chatted. He brings up little specific details when he talks with his players and what they did or said a few weeks earlier. Many other examples I've noticed. It's an critical characteristic when developing relationships that go more than skin deep and he's clearly very successful with that.

I totally suck at it.
Photographic memory. I had a boss that had that skill, who would remind me of something I said years earlier in passing like it was yesterday.

Some things can't be bottled and replicated.
For sure. Prime Time is pretty one of a kind.

Michael Strahan doesnt have the coaching experience but that kind of personality could resonate. And that damn portal is suddenly a big deal.

I’m laughing at the moment you on the 10th hole.

“Oh yeah it’s……”. 😂😂
That’s almost exactly what happened. I looked at him after the turn ….And just went blank. I said, I have no idea what your name is right now.
He said, No way.
Man, I got nothing.

He cracked up. We both wanted to see how long it would take.
Parking lot. As soon as I saw his car.

Obviously for selfish reasons I want Coach Prime to win a National Championship here and make us a dominant force in college football because I am a Buffs fan.

As I think more about it though I also want him to do so for two other reasons.
1. is to stick it to the SEC/B1G syndicate that wants to dominate and ruin college football for all but their select few.
2. and bigger is that I want to see Coach Prime stick it in the eye of all those old school redneck Athletic Directors across the country who are glad to have their team be +/- 75% Black and hire a couple of token Black position coaches for recruiting purposes but who would never consider hiring a Black head coach despite the fact that there have been literally thousands of dedicated, hard working, highly intelligent young Black men who have played the game and would love the opportunity to lead a team.

This is why I’ve been emphasizing the size of RG’s job. In 24-36 months, we will need a minimum of $20 million per season for football coaching salaries alone. We cannot lose NIL traction. We must admit recruited players. We must continue to upgrade facilities and the gameday experience.
And add in the $11 mil to pay the old coaching staff as they sit around for a year (which I would absolutely do).

CU freak’n stepped up to do this.

Agree. I am just saying, I don’t want the mindset of leadership to be, let’s have Prime rebuild the program and brand over the next 2-3 years and then wish him well. They have now shown the willingness to compete. If a coach shows he’s worth it, they need to be willing to making him a top 3-5 highest paid coach, IMO
1 trillion percent. Everything I’ve outlined is with the express intent of keeping Prime and fulfilling his potential as a college football coach at Colorado.

Back