What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*OFFICIAL* Deion Sanders aka Coach Prime is the new CU Football Head Coach thread

Eisen seemed absolutely baffled by that. I visited HuskerMax today out of curiosity for about 10 minutes. Even the reasonable takes there included the caveat that Prime is a "risky" hire. Seriously, what does that even mean?

Eisen seemed absolutely baffled by that. I visited HuskerMax today out of curiosity for about 10 minutes. Even the reasonable takes there included the caveat that Prime is a "risky" hire. Seriously, what does that even mean?
Grasping at straws because they are scared.

How crazy is it that we don't even have a Heisman thread?

That we didn't have a thread going on for Army-Navy?

Coach Prime is that big of a deal. We don't have the mental bandwidth or interest in that stuff.
I watched the last quarter and OT of Army-Navy. Navy guy at the end (just before the winning 39 yard FG) had the audacity to get slammed to ground well after the play to get an offsetting penalty.

HuskerMax aside, other programs thinking Prime was a risky hire stems from his a lack of coaching experience plus his lack of experience in any capacity at the P5 level. Just look at Embree, who had P5 and NFL experience but not at a coordinator level. Now granted, Deion's image and recruiting impact was a severe oversight but at the same time one can also see how an established program like Auburn would want to go with someone who has a well-proven track record in the SEC. I find Georgia Tech maybe more of a surprise that they didn't have more interest in Prime given their recent history, recruiting footprint, and how far they've fallen behind their ACC foes and UGA. One caveat is that GT is a tough place to keep players with their academics.

HuskerMax aside, other programs thinking Prime was a risky hire stems from his a lack of coaching experience plus his lack of experience in any capacity at the P5 level. Just look at Embree, who had P5 and NFL experience but not at a coordinator level. Now granted, Deion's image and recruiting impact was a severe oversight but at the same time one can also see how an established program like Auburn would want to go with someone who has a well-proven track record in the SEC. I find Georgia Tech maybe more of a surprise that they didn't have more interest in Prime given their recent history, recruiting footprint, and how far they've fallen behind their ACC foes and UGA. One caveat is that GT is a tough place to keep players with their academics.
Yeah. Because there was so much "risky hire" chatter when KSU hired Chris Klieman.

I’ll acknowledge feeling some risk in this hire. Prime is a fine balance of a giant ego and an awareness of the good he can do. There is a balance of interests that has to be maintained. His personal social following, his families various careers, his brand, etc and the Buffs and the needs of the guys on the team. There’s more on the list but the cold medicine is having its effect.
This balance could get upset without any ill intent on anyone’s part. Yes, this could be said about any coach but it’s bigger and bolder and brighter with Prime.

im totally ok with the risk. I don’t see how the Buffs don’t end up better off regardless of how this ends but there is risk.

The thing is there isn't really any risk, other than I guess financial for CU. The football can't get worse. The program can't be more irrelevant or more of an embarrassment. The reputation of the team can only improve from here.

If they are still bad in a few years or if Deion leaves before we are ready for him to leave l at least CU tried something different for the first time in 20+ years

The thing is there isn't really any risk, other than I guess financial for CU. The football can't get worse. The program can't be more irrelevant or more of an embarrassment. The reputation of the team can only improve from here.

If they are still bad in a few years or if Deion leaves before we are ready for him to leave l at least CU tried something different for the first time in 20+ years
CU has been so appalling at football that tens of thousands of alums go out of their way to actively NOT wear their alma maters clothes in social settings.

Yup - zero risk for CU. We have been dead in the water for 15+ years.

I frankly don't even know what failure looks like with Prime. Maybe some horrible recruiting or criminal situation?

What I see happening is a rebirth for CU. A revelation to the campus and city about what it takes, and more importantly that it is ok to go for it.

I don't think it is any wonder that the last time this happened was McCartney, who was devout and could bring that preachy, religious fervor. I've been wondering if maybe that is CUs recipe for success. Go find a priest for your head coach.

Feldman referred to it as playing with house money. I don't think that's it. I made a similar point weeks ago as to why this might be attractive to Sanders. He can't fail. He will look like a success alone on improving the talent. Going .500 is a win. And he can move elsewhere if he wants.

But that's my logic. Not his. After learning more about him, I don't think he cares about the crap that I wrote above. I think he sees this as a challenge, but not a huge challenge, and he wants to win here.

Yup - zero risk for CU. We have been dead in the water for 15+ years.

I frankly don't even know what failure looks like with Prime. Maybe some horrible recruiting or criminal situation?

What I see happening is a rebirth for CU. A revelation to the campus and city about what it takes, and more importantly that it is ok to go for it.

I don't think it is any wonder that the last time this happened was McCartney, who was devout and could bring that preachy, religious fervor. I've been wondering if maybe that is CUs recipe for success. Go find a priest for your head coach.

I agree that whatever the worst possible end could be, it could happen tomorrow and CU would already be better off.
Coach Prime can be always on because there will be nothing to hide. He'll be blunt and polarizing, but it will be his truth, and be offered with some intent of character building or purpose. There will be no need for secret dealings, hushed up promises to donors, parents or players.
Bottom line is I've bought in that there would be zero tolerance for such actions listed above among staff or players. Were it to come to Coach's attention the last thing to expect would be a coverup.
What does that leave for a worst case? A step up for a larger platform after Shedeur moves on, or suffers an injury early in his CU career? We're still left with institutional changes that will make other coaches more successful, and we beaten down faithful with a much needed taste of hope.

No risk? Heck I declare there to be negative risk of any form moving forward after only 10 days of Prime Time!

everything could always go sideways or worse...

but, Prime has done what i would try to do in a similar non-football situation. he has hired guys he trusts, guys that know their xs and os, and guys with the rep to upgrade the guys we bring in.

send more money... with a wave of cash and a coach and a staff that can do this, and everything else CU has to offer, it means we can witness greatness again.

z

I’ll acknowledge feeling some risk in this hire. Prime is a fine balance of a giant ego and an awareness of the good he can do. There is a balance of interests that has to be maintained. His personal social following, his families various careers, his brand, etc and the Buffs and the needs of the guys on the team. There’s more on the list but the cold medicine is having its effect.
This balance could get upset without any ill intent on anyone’s part. Yes, this could be said about any coach but it’s bigger and bolder and brighter with Prime.

im totally ok with the risk. I don’t see how the Buffs don’t end up better off regardless of how this ends but there is risk.

I agree, the risk is that he can't hold the thing together--it's not easy keeping high level recruits and an accomplished coaching staff all pulling in the same direction. It can all end in sh*t, like A&M this season. But, as you say, CU will be better even if this happens.

I agree, the risk is that he can't hold the thing together--it's not easy keeping high level recruits and an accomplished coaching staff all pulling in the same direction. It can all end in sh*t, like A&M this season. But, as you say, CU will be better even if this happens.

I mean a miserable season for a&M is 5-7. Which is arguably 400% better then where we are at right now.

There is a risk in every hire and I have absolutely no idea how this will turn out on the field, but given the fact that there isn't much room to sink any lower I appreciate the willingness to take a swing like that with a celebrity coach instead of going with a perceived safer option alá MacIntyre 9 years ago. And like Feldman says, the tides have turned and this is a new era with NIL and the portal and previous principles may not necessarily apply anymore like they used to.

I mean a miserable season for a&M is 5-7. Which is arguably 400% better then where we are at right now.

Aggie was coming from somewhere else than we are coming from and Fisher, one of 3 guys to have won a title with a non-SEC school in recent memory, was brought in to do different things than Deion was brought in for. In fact, I don't remember us having the discussion what our goal with Deion is, but it probably isn't to build CU into a program that can go toe-to-toe with Alabama or Georgia year in, year out.

In fact, I don't remember us having the discussion what our goal with Deion is, but it probably isn't to build CU into a program that can go toe-to-toe with Alabama or Georgia year in, year out.

With DS, all things are possible. The goal was to get a great recruiter. DS hasn’t been afraid to go recruit against Alabama and I think he’s also not afraid to compete with them on the field. It will take some time but the new CU football isn’t gonna look anything like what we’ve been used to the last 20 years.

With DS, all things are possible. The goal was to get a great recruiter. DS hasn’t been afraid to go recruit against Alabama and I think he’s also not afraid to compete with them on the field. It will take some time but the new CU football isn’t gonna look anything like what we’ve been used to the last 20 years.

But is that your expectation? Do we think we hired him with that goal in mind? Because if that is supposedly the goal I can see why people are claiming this will be a spectacular failure because the odds are overwhelmingly against that.

But is that your expectation? Do we think we hired him with that goal in mind? Because if that is supposedly the goal I can see why people are claiming this will be a spectacular failure because the odds are overwhelmingly against that.
Going by what he Coach Prime says, yes. The swing we're taking is to return to an elite program. I don't think the odds are so bad, we saw Washington go ofer and get back to respectability. We just need the vicious cycle to swing positive. And the Pac had a much better year overall, the timing couldn't be better.

Back