What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*OFFICIAL* Deion Sanders aka Coach Prime is the new CU Football Head Coach thread

Going by what he Coach Prime says, yes. The swing we're taking is to return to an elite program. I don't think the odds are so bad, we saw Washington go ofer and get back to respectability. We just need the vicious cycle to swing positive. And the Pac had a much better year overall, the timing couldn't be better.

is our expectation to go toe-to-toe with Alabama and Georgia year in, year out or go back to UW's respectability levels? I think there's a difference between the greatest run in college football history, which is what Alabama has done, and Washington winning 2 P12 titles in 3 years.

.... In fact, I don't remember us having the discussion what our goal with Deion is, but it probably isn't to build CU into a program that can go toe-to-toe with Alabama or Georgia year in, year out.
Just doesn't seem like enough any more, does it?

is our expectation to go toe-to-toe with Alabama and Georgia year in, year out or go back to UW's respectability levels? I think there's a difference between the greatest run in college football history, which is what Alabama has done, and Washington winning 2 P12 titles in 3 years.
Once saban retires due to Deion taking all of his players max the vacuum will suck our fat asses into the kingpin position.

My expectation is to be competitive in 11/12 games on the schedule and win 6-8. I think you all need to recognize it’s really hard to be Al or OSU, much more to replace them.

My expectation is to be competitive in 11/12 games on the schedule and win 6-8. I think you all need to recognize it’s really hard to be Al or OSU, much more to replace them.
I don’t think Ohio state has ever lost more than 7 games.
So you are right.

Ohio state could never be Colorado.

I'm confused about the "risk" argument when I hear it.

When hiring a HC, there are several things that go into winning you ask about the guy and your answers will be everywhere from "not his strength" to "absolutely and he's proven it".

1. Can he recruit?
2. Can he build a great staff?
3. Can he rally boosters?
4. Can he drive a winning culture?
5. Can he manage an organization?

Deion Sanders is the lowest risk hire CU has ever made. The only names brought up as potentially available this cycle that are in the same category were Chris Petersen, Urban Meyer and Bob Stoops.

So when people call Coach Prime a high risk hire, I have no idea what criteria they're using. That it risks upsetting the apple cart for everyone else?

P.S. I also hear there's risk that Coach Prime would not stay long-term. WTF? The average tenure of CFB HCs is between 4-4.5 years. CU had 5 coaches (not including interims) for the 17 years of 2006-2022, so we've been averaging 3.4 years per HC. Where's the extra risk on that? Make him happy, win, keep him happy - he's no more or less likely than any other HC to stay or leave if CU does its job.

I don’t view the goal as let’s be the next Alabama or Georgia and win 10 Nattys in 15 years or whatever, but I do think the goal is to compete with those programs on the field. Obviously, that starts with competing for the Pac 12 championship, but the recruiting that we are about to see at CU is going to rival USC and Oregon more than Washington, IMO.

I don’t view the goal as let’s be the next Alabama or Georgia and win 10 Nattys in 15 years or whatever, but I do think the goal is to compete with those programs on the field. Obviously, that starts with competing for the Pac 12 championship, but the recruiting that we are about to see at CU is going to rival USC and Oregon more than Washington, IMO.
I'm not going to have lower expectations than what Coach Prime has explicitly stated.

He laid it out: compete-->win-->dominate.

And he's not a patient man.

Maybe something in between? Obviously pushing Alabama aside is a big ask, but top 15 more often than not will get us in the playoffs semi-regularly, and doable with a guy like Prime Time. I think if he does that he can consider his goal met for getting us back to the elite.

I think that's a good goal for now and we can reassess when or if we get there. But you first have to learn how to walk before you can run.

Compete how often? Once every ten years? Once every five? Year in, year out? And what does compete mean? Play them in the playoffs or hang with them in a playoff game and beat them?

It was years ago when ADRG put a list of goals for each of the athletic teams. I laughed when he listed some things like winning the Pac-12 and challenging for the national championship .

I now "believe".

Compete how often? Once every ten years? Once every five? Year in, year out? And what does compete mean? Play them in the playoffs or hang with them in a playoff game and beat them?
Ultimately I think it’s about making the 12 team playoff year in, year out, and having expectations of being able to beat them in any given year. Of course that doesn’t mean they will be favorites, as even LSU, Tennessee, etc are 8-10+ point dogs against those programs every year, but if recruiting goes the way most expect it to under Prime, I don’t see why CU can’t get on their level within 2-3 seasons

Hey now, don’t impugn Bob Ross, man. He brought the swag of painting to all of us. He was so cool being himself he lives on long after his death, bringing his passion to new generations…. That’s MY happy little tree!
Karl Dorrell wasn't a mistake but a happy accident.

I'm confused about the "risk" argument when I hear it.

When hiring a HC, there are several things that go into winning you ask about the guy and your answers will be everywhere from "not his strength" to "absolutely and he's proven it".

1. Can he recruit?
2. Can he build a great staff?
3. Can he rally boosters?
4. Can he drive a winning culture?
5. Can he manage an organization?

Deion Sanders is the lowest risk hire CU has ever made. The only names brought up as potentially available this cycle that are in the same category were Chris Petersen, Urban Meyer and Bob Stoops.

So when people call Coach Prime a high risk hire, I have no idea what criteria they're using. That it risks upsetting the apple cart for everyone else?

P.S. I also hear there's risk that Coach Prime would not stay long-term. WTF? The average tenure of CFB HCs is between 4-4.5 years. CU had 5 coaches (not including interims) for the 17 years of 2006-2022, so we've been averaging 3.4 years per HC. Where's the extra risk on that? Make him happy, win, keep him happy - he's no more or less likely than any other HC to stay or leave if CU does its job.
You’re confused about the criteria? There’s a skin tone criterion…

You’re confused about the criteria? There’s a skin tone criterion…
That and there are also idots in sports media who can't wrap their heads around anything that's outside the box they believe exists.

Here's one from Wilner expressing his extreme skepticism when Stanford hired Harbaugh. He could almost substitute "Sanders" for "Harbaugh" and reprint the same column. You have to be dumb if you're a racist, but you can also be dumb without being a racist. Some of the criticisms are from the "dumb but not a racist" crowd.

Last edited:
That and there are also idots in sports media who can't wrap their heads around anything that's outside the box they believe exists.

Here's one from Wilner expressing his extreme skepticism when Stanford hired Harbaugh. He could almost substitute "Sanders" for "Harbaugh" and reprint the same column. You have to dumb if you're a racist, but you can also be dumb without being a racist. Some of the criticisms are from the "dumb but not a racist" crowd.

The number of folks who express intelligence-based critiques of the Prime hire greatly exceed the ones issued against Harbaugh.

I just watched/skipped through this video of an unofficial visit by Micah Hudson at Ohio State and while they got some more bling in there because they won I do think most of the stuff they have there looks comparable to what you saw at the Champion Center when they showed Prime around.

The number of folks who express intelligence-based critiques of the Prime hire greatly exceed the ones issued against Harbaugh.
For sure. Lots of racism. I think there's also a lot of people unaware they are repeating takes that they didn't realize were weak justifications with racist tropes behind them. It's great you're pointing that out and opening eyes.

I just watched/skipped through this video of an unofficial visit by Micah Hudson at Ohio State and while they got some more bling in there because they won I do think most of the stuff they have there looks comparable to what you saw at the Champion Center when they showed Prime around.

Dan Wetzel said a few days ago that CU’s facilities were great compared to JSU’s but bottom end relative to P5 standards. I guess it’s just the easy narrative to push when you’re talking about a bottom 3 P5 program, but is obviously ignorant to the fact that CU’s facilities are as nice as any program in the country.

The differences lie in some of the luxury things like every locker having flat screen TVs or whatever. The stuff that is flashy for a recruits visit, but aren’t practical or used in reality

I thought he was a risk, but that's because I didn't know CU all of a sudden had infinite money for his staff and recruiting. I also thought it was impossible he'd be flipping the entire roster in a single off season. Or getting 4 million views for his speech to the team. I thought we were dealing with a human, not a phenomenon.

Edit: he's still a risk. Controversy will happen then doom will follow.

I thought he was a risk, but that's because I didn't know CU all of a sudden had infinite money for his staff and recruiting. I also thought it was impossible he'd be flipping the entire roster in a single off season. Or getting 4 million views for his speech to the team. I thought we were dealing with a human, not a phenomenon.

Edit: he's still a risk. Controversy will happen then doom will follow.
Until I heard differently, I approached the hire believing that CU would not make dramatic change and even subtle changes would be incremental. Like you, I thought at first that Prime would never happen and that if it did he'd be hamstrung on all the things that make him great and end up bolting quickly with CU looking like an even worse job. So my focus was on HC candidates who I believed would deliver a winning football program within the boundaries of what CU was (the Phil & Benson culture). Hiring Coach Prime and embracing change to allow him to thrive is my dream come true.

Last edited:
Back