What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official game thread CU v csu 8/31 @7:30 pm

I'm very curious to see how teams try to adjust so that they key on Shenault. He was playing mostly in the slot. Will teams move their best CB into slot coverage? If so, does that mean that their CB3 is going to try to cover Winfree or KD on the outside? Chev putting Shenault into a split TE role like he has is very tough on a defensive coordinator's base scheme.
They ran the read away from the slot where he waggled opposite the formation. Looked like he caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage a few times allowing Winfree and JayMac to block downfield. In space with blockers. Fire Lindgren.

They ran the read away from the slot where he waggled opposite the formation. Looked like he caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage a few times allowing Winfree and JayMac to block downfield. In space with blockers. Fire Lindgren.
That's a pretty base play in Kingsbury's TTU offense that Chev didn't have the control to get installed here the past couple years. Also the handoff to the WR in motion across the formation.

Viska lined up at TE, H-back, Fullback, QB, slot..... He's bigger and stronger than any LB we will see this year and he's also very fast. It was clear by the end of the first series that Chev has been sort of downplaying this and the game plan was to unleash Shenault on the Rams.

On KD, I hadn't been extremely impressed until last night when Montez let the ball go. That play was right in front of me as I was sitting at the 20 on CUs side. KD had zero separation at the time the ball left Montez' hand. By the time KD reached out to catch what was a perfectly thrown pass, he had two steps on the CB. Overdrive. That made me a believer because that CSU corner has decent speed.
Wildcat too.

I don't think they did. The Corn is going to see a much different offense than CSU saw. I assume that NU has better athletes on defense and I don't think Chev will attack the edge like he did last night. I look for a more vertical passing game.

You will see that all year. Very much the Dana Holgerson influence I mentioned above.

I am looking forward to teams keying in on Shenault. I'm also looking forward to Montez keying in on JMac, who was open when he wanted to be last night, as is his habit. Winfree will have his chance to do his stuff soon, too. We have some weapons (though Shenault, as weapons go, is like an uzi with a 40mm grenade launcher attached).

He doesn’t make that throw last tear.

Making those throws is a lot easier when you arent getting drilled in the ribs 15 times a game. And you dont get drilled 15 times a game when you arent waiting 4 seconds for the primary receiver to get open, or running qb power over and over and over.

God I hated Brian Lindgren. Last night was such a breath of fresh air.

The first TD pass to KD and the TD to Winfree were NFL throws, most college QBs don't make those.

Montez has arm talent, that has never been in question but those two throws were made to perfect spots and in both cases the throw was initiated when the receiver was still covered. I also saw a couple time when Montez would have thrown he ball last year that he pulled it down and did something else with it that was safer.

The only really bad decision I saw him make was forcing the ball on the INT. That ball should actually have been thrown deeper because had he gone over the top he reciever (lil Mac IIRC) was a couple steps behind the D. It looked a little like it may have been short because of bad footwork.

Making those throws is a lot easier when you arent getting drilled in the ribs 15 times a game. And you dont get drilled 15 times a game when you arent waiting 4 seconds for the primary receiver to get open, or running qb power over and over and over.

God I hated Brian Lindgren. Last night was such a breath of fresh air.
One of the unsung things about the Roper hire is that he was able to work with Chev and Adams on upgrading some play designs to improve protections.

So not only do we have the changes Chev has been itching to make and what looks to be a feel for calling plays, but the design of the plays was made better for the OL and QB.

Remember when people had questions about Chev as a playcaller in his first game? I remember.

Chev’s post-game presser.

I believe him when he describes his role as fitting the plays around the players. All too often offensive coaches prioritize the scheme or the system. It was clear that OCDC wants to get the ball in the hands of all playmakers. Pretty unselfish in his RB rotation, WR looks, and pass/run balance. This offense has a lot of weapons and Chev clearly wants to give all his playmakers an opportunity to shine. It’s like Oprah - you get a TD and you get a TD and you get a TD and you get a TD.

Can't really get a good read from last night because CSU is horrible on the edges. But it was a nice first step.
Yep. While i love the outcome, i don't know how much we really know about this team yet. CSU is just awful. They might go winless this year.

Can't really get a good read from last night because CSU is horrible on the edges. But it was a nice first step.

A false sense of adequacy is the risk of solidly beating a bad team.

Glad to see no sacks, a minimum number of penalties, no delay of game, and some big holes open up for the tailbacks.

We’ll learn a lot more from Lincoln. But so far as getting kinks out, the OL was far from being a liability. They played well on run and pass. Can’t want more than that.

Turnovers/ball security, and staying focused for all 60 minutes would be the top of my list of adjustments for this O.

I’m finding it difficult to rein in my enthusiasm today. But rein it in we must.

A false sense of adequacy is the risk of solidly beating a bad team.

Glad to see no sacks, a minimum number of penalties, no delay of game, and some big holes open up for the tailbacks.

We’ll learn a lot more from Lincoln. But so far as getting kinks out, the OL was far from being a liability. They played well on run and pass. Can’t want more than that.

Turnovers/ball security, and staying focused for all 60 minutes would be the top of my list of adjustments for this O.

Yeah, I am just not sure what to expect from the OL going forward. Bad opponent or not, we clearly have talent at the skill positions. But we still do not really know about this OL, completely untested last night.

the athletic has a nice piece on moretti. he got in, in the 4th and did well. the leg held up. if he can stay pain-free, he is going to be a huge help to this ol.

also, did you all notice all the young guys making plays? we've definitely upgraded our athleticism.

and, i will mention for the 3rd time: viska is a bad, bad, bad man.

the athletic has a nice piece on moretti. he got in, in the 4th and did well. the leg held up. if he can stay pain-free, he is going to be a huge help to this ol.

also, did you all notice all the young guys making plays? we've definitely upgraded our athleticism.

and, i will mention for the 3rd time: viska is a bad, bad, bad man.

That piece was the only thing the Athletic provided on the game. Not good

Viska better get ready for a lot of attention as far as coverage. The cool thing is how they moved him around, helps in that regard.

Back