What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official NBA Draft Thread - Spencer's a Piston!

Just saying, why the **** did Chris Webber have that ball? That makes u soft, timeouts or not. Yeah let's make our c/pf take the ball, he's full of ****. There is a reason none of them have rings.

Peyton Siva was drafted 56th by the Pistons and he averaged 9mins/game last year (in the 20's towards the end of the season). So the opportunity is there for Spencer

Who had the best draft? I don't agree with Jalen Rose, I remember him saying Duke guys were bitches and SA would get get killed. Hmm didn't seem to work that way. That's what u get because u thought they didn't want it before u a black player did. Wasn't it," he was an overrated pussy"? Why did they beat u twice then? Geez,they play just like them.

You could finish your sentences with 'know what I'm sayin' and I could legitimately say no.

if he only would have lasted 2 more picks, he would be a perfect backup for ty. would have been awesome to keep him in the state. I know spencer hated the nuggets and the state sports as a whole, but damn, detroit...

[TWEET]491373069152174081[/TWEET]

[tweet]491372488086282240[/tweet]

Looks like the Mayor's gamble worked out again. Got 3 years to get fully healthy and earn that big pay day. Congrats to The Mayor.

Last edited:
[TWEET]491373069152174081[/TWEET]

[tweet]491372488086282240[/tweet]

Looks like the Mayor's gamble worked out again. Got 3 years to get fully healthy and earn that big pay day. Congrats to The Mayor.

Wonder how much of it is guaranteed. Three years basically is a deal for the pistons saying that if we stick with you for a year to get you fully healthy we have you locked up for rookie money for at least another 2 years, even if you turn out to be the stud you were prior to the injury.

On the other hand if somebody wants to pay me NBA rookie money for three years I think I might be able to get by on it.

Wonder how much of it is guaranteed. Three years basically is a deal for the pistons saying that if we stick with you for a year to get you fully healthy we have you locked up for rookie money for at least another 2 years, even if you turn out to be the stud you were prior to the injury.

On the other hand if somebody wants to pay me NBA rookie money for three years I think I might be able to get by on it.

League minimum salary is $507,336
Think I could make it work as well.

This isn't the NFL. Non guaranteed deals do exist in the NBA, but they're unusual.

2yrs fully guaranteed
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...-2nd-rounder-spencer-dinwiddie-to-3-year-deal

Not announced yet, but I'd bet the 3rd year is a club option rather than a player option. If he can even show something as a reserve his 2nd year, it will be a 3-year deal since that club option will be less money than Spencer would be worth on the open market.

Anyone know how the NBA deal works on restricted versus unrestricted free agents? Would Detroit still have the ability to match a contract offer after the 3rd year was up or would Spencer be unrestricted? (Or is that dependent upon Spencer's contract rather than by the collective bargaining agreement?)

First two years are guaranteed, at a rate significantly better than league minimum. Third year is a team option, also a very nice rate; the third year as a team option will allow room for negotiation when he is playing at the level that everyone is anticipating after two years in the league. He got an excellent contract. Buff Nation should be very proud.

Last edited:
Went to a team that had a need for him and signed a pretty good contract....what are the doubters gonna say about him leaving now? Worked out pretty well for him when all is said and done!!!

Went to a team that had a need for him and signed a pretty good contract....what are the doubters gonna say about him leaving now? Worked out pretty well for him when all is said and done!!!

Also a team that is willing to pay him and remove all expectations of playing for this season. Spencer got a good deal. He will be allowed to heal and work without any pressure of getting back before he is ready.

First two years are guaranteed, at a rate significantly better than league minimum. Third year is a team option, also a very nice rate; the third year as a team option will allow room for negotiation when he is playing at the level that everyone is anticipating after two years in the league. He got an excellent contract. Buff Nation should be very proud.

Where have you seen the specific figures that he agreed to?

Anyone know how the NBA deal works on restricted versus unrestricted free agents? Would Detroit still have the ability to match a contract offer after the 3rd year was up or would Spencer be unrestricted? (Or is that dependent upon Spencer's contract rather than by the collective bargaining agreement?)

After the 3rd year, they would have the right to match any deal. Typically, teams want to get 3 year deals done with 2nd round picks. At least if they are seeing them as long term options.

Good for the Mayor to get two years guaranteed. That's a good deal for him, regardless of what happens after that.

This is a good deal for both sides.

Spencer gets 2 years guaranteed and a team that is not only willing but expecting him to not play next year. He will have the resources to get back to as close to 100% as possible. If/when he does come back healthy he will be joining a team that is rebuilding and he will have the opportunity to play to his strengths and see significant time.

For the Pistons its a great deal as well. They get a guy who has the potential to be an end of the lottery type talent. A guy who can be a big PG, a scoring SG who can also pass, and a guy who can defend a variety of players well. By Spencer not playing it delays his impact on their record meaning that they have a decent chance of getting another fairly high pick next year. Then they make the roster impacts all in one season.

NBA is set up in a way that one or two good players can make you just good enough that it is hard to add the additional good players needed to contend. A lot of teams are now drafting foreign players and stashing them overseas to avoid this. Drafting Spencer is just another way of accomplishing it.

Spencer is also loyal enough and has the kind of character that Detroit probably feels good that if he does turn into a start type player he will still give them a fair listen in terms of staying when he is a FA.

Back