What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Pre-Game Thread: CU @ Zona at 8:30 PM MT on Friday November 2 (FS1)

Some of it, at least what I watched of it, was Arizona did look good. At the same time, Oregon looked like absolute ****.

Coach, when you look back, what could YOU have done differently to stem the momentum?

Well, we practiced, some things, the players, the other coaches . . . . IT WASN'T ME I DIDN'T **** UP

He should run for office. Great job of completely avoiding the question.

a little more even than we thought ?

Screen_Shot_2018_10_30_at_12.16.44_PM.png
Any chance that exists for conference games only?

BYU >>> CSU
Houston >>>>>>>>>> NU
SUU = NH

Coach, when you look back, what could YOU have done differently to stem the momentum?

Well, we practiced, some things, the players, the other coaches . . . . IT WASN'T ME I DIDN'T **** UP

He should run for office. Great job of completely avoiding the question.
Yep. Was very specific about player mistakes and very vague about coaching errors.

Honestly, he’s not entirely wrong. The coaches got dominated in the 2nd half, but players were in position to completely change the game and step on their neck and didn’t make plays or made stupid decisions. Buck stops with the coaches, but Brown has to catch the football, the OL has to get a push on 4th down and KD needs to have some football IQ and get the 1st down.

Yep. Was very specific about player mistakes and very vague about coaching errors.

Honestly, he’s not entirely wrong. The coaches got dominated in the 2nd half, but players were in position to completely change the game and step on their neck and didn’t make plays or made stupid decisions. Buck stops with the coaches, but Brown has to catch the football, the OL has to get a push on 4th down and KD needs to have some football IQ and get the 1st down.

So, running it up the middle for the 4th time in a row when the first 3 didn't work is on the OL, not the coaches?

Also, the question wasn't what did the COACHES do wrong. It was what did YOU (Charmin Mac) do wrong. And his answer was nothing.

So, running it up the middle for the 4th time in a row when the first 3 didn't work is on the OL, not the coaches?

Also, the question wasn't what did the COACHES do wrong. It was what did YOU (Charmin Mac) do wrong. And his answer was nothing.
I’m in agreement with you. I’m just saying that players have to make plays and CU’s players couldn’t do that. And yes, 4th down and 1, against one the worst run defenses in the country, the OL needs to take it upon themselves to get 1 ****ing yard.

I’m in agreement with you. I’m just saying that players have to make plays and CU’s players couldn’t do that. And yes, 4th down and 1, against one the worst run defenses in the country, the OL needs to take it upon themselves to get 1 ****ing yard.
Pretty sure they knew what play was coming.

It's almost as if they KNEW there was no chance Charmin soft would try a trick play and go for it all.

Stack the middle. No attempt to draw them offsides. Run up the middle, into 10 D players. When we know our OL is a joke.

But Mac says it's the players.

It's almost as if they KNEW there was no chance Charmin soft would try a trick play and go for it all.

Stack the middle. No attempt to draw them offsides. Run up the middle, into 10 D players. When we know our OL is a joke.

Oh the irony of you calling MM “Charmin Soft” for choosing to allow his OL to assert physical dominance and get one yard, instead of telling Chev to run a trick play.

Oh the irony of you calling MM “Charmin Soft” for choosing to allow his OL to assert physical dominance and get one yard, instead of telling Chev to run a trick play.
How well did they "assert" themselves, and all of their physical dominance, on that 12th ranked run defense that we had no idea how to run against?

I might even be ok with up the middle on 4th, if we hadn't done it on 1st.
and 2nd.
and 3rd.
all for almost 9 whole, dominant yards.

How well did they "assert" themselves, and all of their physical dominance, on that 12th ranked run defense that we had no idea how to run against?

I might even be ok with up the middle on 4th, if we hadn't done it on 1st.
and 2nd.
and 3rd.
all for almost 9 whole, dominant yards.
Well, 3 running plays for 9 yards is [carry the 2], 3 yards/play. It stands to reason that on 4th and 1, you should probably be able to get the necessary 1 yard needed, no?

Well, 3 running plays for 9 yards is [carry the 2], 3 yards/play. It stands to reason that on 4th and 1, you should probably be able to get the necessary 1 yard needed, no?
Apparently, no

We scored 24 points in the first half, and they scored 3. Lets see, square root, take the inverse, multiply by 42.

We won 48 to 6, right?

Apparently, no

We scored 24 points in the first half, and they scored 3. Lets see, square root, take the inverse, multiply by 42.

We won 48 to 6, right?
I don't even know what you're arguing anymore. Coaching was obviously an issue, but I don't believe it was stupid to run the ball up the middle on 4th and 1. At some point, players need to make a play on the field.

I don't even know what you're arguing anymore. Coaching was obviously an issue, but I don't believe it was stupid to run the ball up the middle on 4th and 1. At some point, players need to make a play on the field.
I was just using your math / logic. If we were going to get the 1 yd just because we had gotten 3 per play before. Extrapolate, if we got 24 points in the first half, then we had to get 24 in the second, right?

Screw the fact every single person in the stadium, the TV booth, OBVIOUSLY the OSU coaching staff KNEW that we were running it up the middle. But, if we did something out of the box, say, throw the ball or run it, GASP, outside, we might accidentally score. That would hurt poor Charmin's sensibilities, as we might be "running up the score" on poor ol OSU. I mean, we had a 14 point lead then. There is NO CHANCE they could possibly come back.

You expect an OL who can't execute well enough to pick up one yard on one of the worst run defenses in the country, to somehow run a flawless trick play for a TD? How you feel about MM is clear, and he is worthy of criticism, but sometimes it is the players' fault.

You expect an OL who can't execute well enough to pick up one yard on one of the worst run defenses in the country, to somehow run a flawless trick play for a TD? How you feel about MM is clear, and he is worthy of criticism, but sometimes it is the players' fault.
So, the OL, who has shown for the entirety of the game outside of 1 play, that they can't get yards when needed, should somehow make a play they haven't made all game? Making that play call isn't on the coaches?

RPO? Give yourself a freaking chance?

FFS, we ran an option play at NU. Slant?

We don't have to do a triple reverse, flea flicker fumbleruski.

Cram your RB up the ass of the 5 OL being stood up AGAIN for the 4th time in a row isn't exactly inventive.

I was just using your math / logic. If we were going to get the 1 yd just because we had gotten 3 per play before. Extrapolate, if we got 24 points in the first half, then we had to get 24 in the second, right?

Screw the fact every single person in the stadium, the TV booth, OBVIOUSLY the OSU coaching staff KNEW that we were running it up the middle. But, if we did something out of the box, say, throw the ball or run it, GASP, outside, we might accidentally score. That would hurt poor Charmin's sensibilities, as we might be "running up the score" on poor ol OSU. I mean, we had a 14 point lead then. There is NO CHANCE they could possibly come back.

I agree with the running up the middle mindset, and I am trying to figure out where the hell that came from in the last 3-4 games? When we do not have a lead blocker, or a jumbo package, why the heck do we run it up the middle? Freshman Center, not the best OL overall yet, and our WR's are probably some of the best blockers? When we ran stretch, or other types of edge plays, Travon can pick a hole and push for a decent gain. Standard personnel, with a single back (especially one with no real body lean or power) trying to dive forward for a yard when 9-10 guys are pushing that area makes no sense. Would it be nice to have the OL buck up and get that yard, yes, but it has not and will not happen right now.
Running up the middle seems so....oh I don't know.........Bill Parcells like, MM's favorite coach of all time.

So, the OL, who has shown for the entirety of the game outside of 1 play, that they can't get yards when needed, should somehow make a play they haven't made all game?

Yes. Against the worst run defense in the country, you should be able to send them an engraved telegram that we're running the ball right at them and the OL should still be able to get one yard. Not executing and being able to beat the man in front of you for one yard is on the players.

Yes. Against the worst run defense in the country, you should be able to send them an engraved telegram that we're running the ball right at them and the OL should still be able to get one yard. Not executing and being able to beat the man in front of you for one yard is on the players.
And having run 30+ previous running plays, knowing that you probably WON'T get that push, and calling it anyways is on the coaches.

And having run 30+ previous running plays, knowing that you probably WON'T get that push, and calling it anyways is on the coaches.

We averaged 6 yards a carry. If you want to cherry pick and take out Travon's 75 yard run, we still averaged over 4 yards a carry. You act like we ran 50 times for negative yardage.

We averaged 6 yards a carry. If you want to cherry pick and take out Travon's 75 yard run, we still averaged over 4 yards a carry. You act like we ran 50 times for negative yardage.
49 yards on a scramble by montez. We averaged under 3 yards a carry on every other.

So, Mr. Playcaller: what is your recommendation when the OL routinely gives up sacks against light boxes and the QB only sees double teams across the board in the secondary?

So, the OL, who has shown for the entirety of the game outside of 1 play, that they can't get yards when needed, should somehow make a play they haven't made all game? Making that play call isn't on the coaches?

RPO? Give yourself a freaking chance?

FFS, we ran an option play at NU. Slant?

We don't have to do a triple reverse, flea flicker fumbleruski.

Cram your RB up the ass of the 5 OL being stood up AGAIN for the 4th time in a row isn't exactly inventive.

I already did.

I would like to have seen something to the open side of the field, RPO or toss play. WR are better at blocking than the OL.
Nothing super tricky, but something OSU hadn't seen 12 times already. Could have also tried the whole fake clap draw them offsides thing, might have slowed them down a touch. Instead, go on 1 like the rest of the game.

Also, I don't get paid 2+ million dollars a year to make these play calls. When those that do suck ass at it, they deserve to get called out. When they continue to do it, they deserve to get fired.

I already did.

I would like to have seen something to the open side of the field, RPO or toss play. WR are better at blocking than the OL.
Nothing super tricky, but something OSU hadn't seen 12 times already. Could have also tried the whole fake clap draw them offsides thing, might have slowed them down a touch. Instead, go on 1 like the rest of the game.

Also, I don't get paid 2+ million dollars a year to make these play calls. When those that do suck ass at it, they deserve to get called out. When they continue to do it, they deserve to get fired.

I think you’re missing the point entirely. We have talent/abiliity deficiencies in the OL that are hard to overcome with play calling. I am glad you don’t get paid $2 million to call plays because your understanding about schematic interaction is lacking.

1) The RPO is play action for QBs who don’t want to turn their backs and/or can’t take a snap from under center. Against a zone defense/light box in a short to-go spot, an RPO is kind of silly because there are very few linebackers to draw nearer to the LOS in order to create layers of space in the intermediate part of the field. If your OL is having trouble on passing downs without maximum protection schemes, the RPO is even more troublesome because the time needed to develop the route doesn’t exist.

2) Your solution to run tosses to the wide parts of the field against these coverages is even worse because the receivers are already being double teamed in the opposing zone. You have a nickle/dime/safety plus an outside corner already located within 3-8 yards of the perimeters. No matter how capable, single WRs can’t block two dudes more capably than your OL will be in one on ones.

I agree that predictable play calling is undesirable. However, a play caller must also recognize the deficiencies of his players. The problem is our players’ pass protection in non max pass pro is MUCH WORSE than the blocking in the power run game, which is awful. In a game with the lead against zone defenses in passing downs/short downs, your OL should be able to get 4-5 yards easily. The fact that we can’t is squarely on the players.

The people who recruited them will be accountable in the long-term. The coaching component now is figuring out how to minimize the horrors.

49 yards on a scramble by montez. We averaged under 3 yards a carry on every other.
I don't care to get back into it with Zandi about one play call, but just under 3 yards/carry is still more than the 1 yard we needed on the 4th down. Regardless, I don't think it's some blatant coaching **** up to run the ball on 4th and 1, expecting your offense to convert.

Back