What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Was in a discussion with some friends about conference strength and he gave the ole "PAC-12 is the worst Power 5 conference". I disagreed and we started to dive in. Based on FPI, if you match up the PAC-12 #1 with another Conference's #1, #2 vs #2 etc. the PAC's record is 2-44. I don't think the conference would go 2-44 matched up against their equal in other conferences but apparently FPI thinks so. Thought that was interesting.

I'd like to see the B1G make a bold move by poaching Mizzou.

AAU. Makes geographic sense. Existing rivalries with Illini and Nubs. Wanted to join before and didn't want UT in the SEC.

Pair with KU and it's a very strong move to 16.

Was in a discussion with some friends about conference strength and he gave the ole "PAC-12 is the worst Power 5 conference". I disagreed and we started to dive in. Based on FPI, if you match up the PAC-12 #1 with another Conference's #1, #2 vs #2 etc. the PAC's record is 2-44. I don't think the conference would go 2-44 matched up against their equal in other conferences but apparently FPI thinks so. Thought that was interesting.
F

Well, not a huge surprise.

The B12 leftovers just are not enough of a media pull to make it worthwhile, I guess.

It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Perhaps the B1G will move on KU and ISU, which seem the most obvious choices for them.

Maybe the ACC adds WVU.

Will the B12 try to cobble together a conference out of the leftovers and the tallest midgets from the MWC and AAC?

Or will they fold up and have the B12 leftovers merge into the MWC and or AAC?

TCU, TT, KjSU, Okie Lite, bailer look to be pretty much screwed.

I’d still love to have KU as a basketball school in the PAC. However, it might be argued that their relative success in hoops was aided by their conference, who didn’t have a lot of other hoops schools who could seriously challenge them over an extended period of time. Put KU in the Pac or B1G and they become one of three or four solid programs, any of which could win the conference in any given year.

I’d still love to have KU as a basketball school in the PAC. However, it might be argued that their relative success in hoops was aided by their conference, who didn’t have a lot of other hoops schools who could seriously challenge them over an extended period of time. Put KU in the Pac or B1G and they become one of three or four solid programs, any of which could win the conference in any given year.
I am perplexed by this take. The Big 12 was the best conference in college basketball last year*, and is at or near the top of the conference ranking every year.

• 1st in NCAA Tournament bid percentage: 7 of 10 (70%)
  • 3rd in NCAA Tournament record: 11-6 (64.7%)
  • 1st in top 75 NBA Draft prospects: 12 (1.2 per team)
  • 4th in average NET ranking: 66.7 (51.4 last year)
  • 1st in average NET ranking excluding bottom two teams: 33.4 (39.9 last year)

I am perplexed by this take. The Big 12 was the best conference in college basketball last year*, and is at or near the top of the conference ranking every year.

• 1st in NCAA Tournament bid percentage: 7 of 10 (70%)
  • 3rd in NCAA Tournament record: 11-6 (64.7%)
  • 1st in top 75 NBA Draft prospects: 12 (1.2 per team)
  • 4th in average NET ranking: 66.7 (51.4 last year)
  • 1st in average NET ranking excluding bottom two teams: 33.4 (39.9 last year)
It’s mostly an acknowledgement that KU has pretty well ruled that conference foe a very long time. While there are other solid programs in the B12, none are at KUs historical level. That wouldn’t be the case in any other conference.

Well, not a huge surprise.

The B12 leftovers just are not enough of a media pull to make it worthwhile, I guess.

It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Perhaps the B1G will move on KU and ISU, which seem the most obvious choices for them.

Maybe the ACC adds WVU.

Will the B12 try to cobble together a conference out of the leftovers and the tallest midgets from the MWC and AAC?

Or will they fold up and have the B12 leftovers merge into the MWC and or AAC?

TCU, TT, KjSU, Okie Lite, bailer look to be pretty much screwed.

UCF and USF add Florida for recruiting and Tampa and Orlando TV markets. CSU and New Mexico would add the Denver and Albuquerque TV markets.

All 4 schools have heavy alumni populations that live within driving distance of campus. Which might make their TV rights at least preservable or give them a long game of improved rights in the future.

UCF and USF add Florida for recruiting and Tampa and Orlando TV markets. CSU and New Mexico would add the Denver and Albuquerque TV markets.

All 4 schools have heavy alumni populations that live within driving distance of campus. Which might make their TV rights at least preservable or give them a long game of improved rights in the future.

Very workable since the B12 schools would pad their win totals with CSU & UNM.

Maybe I'm biased against csu but how much do Denver residents really care about csu football ? I have a hard time believing that swings the tv market needle all that much.

Hopefully today's inaction doesn't mean future regrets ... I recall a 10 team league a few years back deciding not to do anything and I wonder if they'd have been better off today had they acted. Will fear of the SEC be enough to keep the Alliance together to enough of an extent to work somewhat effectively?

I'm not surprised at holding off on Pac expansion.

It's hard to imagine the numbers are there to split the pie into 14 slices instead of 12 and make more money. I thought maybe the Texas market might do it but the problem is that no one moves the needle on a national broadcast if they're unranked (by name brand alone).

Maybe I'm biased against csu but how much do Denver residents really care about csu football ? I have a hard time believing that swings the tv market needle all that much.
Only slightly less than they care about CU. The Denver demographic is increasingly transplants from elsewhere who don’t care much about either.

Back