What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

******Official RMS Game Thread******

i think we should tap the brakes on crapping our pants over the LB's. Landman was great last year and I doubt he regressed dramatically. And anyone is better than Gambia

You think the LBs played well?

All I see people saying is that they had a bad game. I don’t think that’s controversial, especially for a player like Landman who you expect to be a sure tackler. Landman getting his ankles broken on a few key plays is not a good look.

We’ve discussed this argument before. The schools in question become recruiting juggernauts when they have the right coaches in place. As you know being a UF fan, if the coaches are meh, recruits will still come in, but they won’t be the same level. The performance suffers.

I don’t think the argument about comparatively better offenses works either. SEC teams magically beat the **** out of Pac 12 teams and score at will.

Again, it’ll take data. Right now, we’re just guessing based upon impressions and biases.
Outside of Bama, when was the last time a SEC throttled a PAC team? There are plenty of examples of SEC teams killing BIG 10 teams but that’s almost always due to speed.

Certainly something to be said for good recruiting coaches but UGA and bama (Clemson too) spend tons of money to lure recruits (I don’t mean illicit money - I’m talking recruiting staffs, crazy facilities, etc). Illicit benefits happen as well but the ncaa isn’t as interested in chasing that. Bama players almost all drive brand new chargers. Bama players put up tweets all the time holding thousands of cash. Nolan Smith, UGA 5 star, drives a new Ford F-150 Raptor. The joke amongst Florida fans is that we are out recruited because our boosters bribe with scooters, not cars. :ROFLMAO:

You think the LBs played well?

All I see people saying is that they had a bad game. I don’t think that’s controversial, especially for a player like Landman who you expect to be a sure tackler. Landman getting his ankles broken on a few key plays is not a good look.
The LB'ers were, as a group, hot garbage last night. The only one I'll give any credit to is Falo because he at least held the edge when he was in, for the most part. Wells is clearly thinking too much, and his eyes are all over the place rather than focusing on his job on each play. Landman getting shook a couple times isn't a big deal to me. Running backs are supposed to shake LB'ers in space. I'm more concerned with our guys losing track of TE's and H-backs on play action.

Outside of Bama, when was the last time a SEC throttled a PAC team? There are plenty of examples of SEC teams killing BIG 10 teams but that’s almost always due to speed.

Certainly something to be said for good recruiting coaches but UGA and bama (Clemson too) spend tons of money to lure recruits (I don’t mean illicit money - I’m talking recruiting staffs, crazy facilities, etc). Illicit benefits happen as well but the ncaa isn’t as interested in chasing that. Bama players almost all drive brand new chargers. Bama players put up tweets all the time holding thousands of cash. Nolan Smith, UGA 5 star, drives a new Ford F-150 Raptor. The joke amongst Florida fans is that we are out recruited because our boosters bribe with scooters, not cars. :ROFLMAO:

SEC teams are 10-4 vs PAC-12 teams in the 2010s.

Five points per game across 14 games is statistically significant. But whatever.
Never argued that the SEC wasn’t better from top to bottom but I am arguing that the gap isn’t enormous. Less than a TD which is pretty interesting considering the SEC has won 10 of 14.

For reference, the SEC is 27-15 against the big 10 with an average score of 30.5 to 22, 17-23/29.7-30.1 against the big 12 (surprised by this), 49-40/29.2-26.4 against the acc, and 33-1/39-14.6 against the MAC.

I added the MAC to the analysis to show what a statistically relevant gap looks like. The PAC gap is in the middle and close to average when compared to the other 5 leagues.

Does anyone have a screen shot of the Turnover robe, it was next to impossible to see from our seats in the upper deck

Never argued that the SEC wasn’t better from top to bottom but I am arguing that the gap isn’t enormous. Less than a TD which is pretty interesting considering the SEC has won 10 of 14.

For reference, the SEC is 27-15 against the big 10 with an average score of 30.5 to 22, 17-23/29.7-30.1 against the big 12 (surprised by this), 49-40/29.2-26.4 against the acc, and 33-1/39-14.6 against the MAC.

I added the MAC to the analysis to show what a statistically relevant gap looks like. The PAC gap is in the middle and close to average when compared to the other 5 leagues.

The numbers are skewed because one of the best offensive teams (Oregon) in the past decade got three SEC matchups to the tune of 94 points. Given the relative number of games being lower for Pac-12 vs SEC matchups, five point deficits and a 71.4% win rate are statistically significant.

The numbers are skewed because one of the best offensive teams (Oregon) in the past decade got three SEC matchups to the tune of 94 points. Given the relative number of games being lower for Pac-12 vs SEC matchups, five point deficits and a 71.4% win rate are statistically significant.
If you’re removing Oregon you have to pull Bama as well. Oregon was +64 points in the analysis with a 2-2 record. Bama was +63 in the analysis with a 2-0 record. Both were significantly better than their league at the time of the game. You can’t pick and choose to make your argument. 5 points is the difference of 1 play, potentially.

If you’re removing Oregon you have to pull Bama as well. Oregon was +64 points in the analysis with a 2-2 record. Bama was +63 in the analysis with a 2-0 record. Both were significantly better than their league at the time of the game. You can’t pick and choose to make your argument. 5 points is the difference of 1 play, potentially.

It is 5 points as an average across 14 games with so-called equivalent talent, including one team skewing the results. Alabama weren’t a highly ranked offensive juggernaut (ranked scoring offense) until last season. They outperformed their averages against the Pac-12 teams, working against your idea that Pac-12 teams play equivalent defense to the SEC. Oregon under Chip Kelly and early Mark Helfrich were consistently one of the top ten scoring offenses. It’s not surprising they’d perform well even against a mediocre team like Tennessee.

It is 5 points as an average across 14 games with so-called equivalent talent, including one team skewing the results. Alabama weren’t a highly ranked offensive juggernaut (ranked scoring offense) until last season. They outperformed their averages against the Pac-12 teams, working against your idea that Pac-12 teams play equivalent defense to the SEC. Oregon under Chip Kelly and early Mark Helfrich were consistently one of the top ten scoring offenses. It’s not surprising they’d perform well even against a mediocre team like Tennessee.
Don’t add words to my posts. I never said the defenses were equivalent. I’ve argued that I don’t agree with the idea that only the SEC is concerned with defense or that the SEC is vastly better than any league. You remove bama (a statistical outlier) from the SEC, the difference in leagues is minimal. And also, FTR, Bama was a top 15 offense in 2016 when they played both games against the PAC 12. I’d say that’s pretty dang good offense.

Don’t add words to my posts. I never said the defenses were equivalent. I’ve argued that I don’t agree with the idea that only the SEC is concerned with defense or that the SEC is vastly better than any league. You remove bama (a statistical outlier) from the SEC, the difference in leagues is minimal. And also, FTR, Bama was a top 15 offense in 2016 when they played both games against the PAC 12. I’d say that’s pretty dang good offense.

You’ve changed your argument. Your premise cannot be simultaneously true that the SEC isn’t more concerned about defense/isn’t better than any other conference AND not also make the argument that Pac-12 defenses are equivalent to SEC ones.

Since you’re conceding that SEC defenses are better than Pac-12 defenses, there’s not much else to discuss.

Best wishes.

Interesting to me, how game to game, how the dynamic is so different? Just goes to show how much of college football is winning your individual match up.

You’ve changed your argument. Your premise cannot be simultaneously true that the SEC isn’t more concerned about defense/isn’t better than any other conference AND not also make the argument that Pac-12 defenses are equivalent to SEC ones.

Since you’re conceding that SEC defenses are better than Pac-12 defenses, there’s not much else to discuss.

Best wishes.
My premise hasn’t changed. I don’t believe the sec is the only league concerned with defense. I don’t believe bringing sec “toughness” to another league is a magic elixir - I think good coaches are good no matter where they are. I do think the sec is better and more talented top to bottom but I don’t think there’s a massive gap. I’ve consistenly said that and the stats show that to be true.

This exchange started with me taking issue with the announcer stating that MT was going to bring SEC toughness to the PAC a thousand times. It’s annoying because I believe that’s a lazy statement. If true, CSU would be running the MWC with their former, long time UGA OC for a HC. They were 3-9 last year. If MT brings success, it’s because he’s a good coach with 16 years of nfl experience and 4 years of sec experience (+/-).

My premise hasn’t changed. I don’t believe the sec is the only league concerned with defense. I don’t believe bringing sec “toughness” to another league is a magic elixir - I think good coaches are good no matter where they are. I do think the sec is better and more talented top to bottom but I don’t think there’s a massive gap. I’ve consistenly said that and the stats show that to be true.

This exchange started with me taking issue with the announcer stating that MT was going to bring SEC toughness to the PAC a thousand times. It’s annoying because I believe that’s a lazy statement. If true, CSU would be running the MWC with their former, long time UGA OC for a HC. They were 3-9 last year. If MT brings success, it’s because he’s a good coach with 16 years of nfl experience and 4 years of sec experience (+/-).

SEC teams aren’t tougher/better and the coaches aren’t better, but the defenses aren’t equivalent.

Okie dokie.

Match 1-12 from each conference. How many P12 win?

I think they had a good game plan and Bobo's 50 y/o qb executed it well. That first half was annoying as hell, so many play variations from the same formations and/or motion.

Kudos to the D for the takeaways - they weren't gimme's. And kudos to the O for cashing in.

Is this what competitive football looks like? Haven't seen this since maybe 2001.
2016???

Match 1-12 from each conference. How many P12 win?
Wouldn’t know this early in the season. Talent isn’t the only indicator. FSU, with 247’s 6th most talented roster, just lost to Boise State (unbanked roster talent), at home, in the heat with Boise State players pointing out that FSU was cramping while they weren’t.

That said, think it’ll be another tough year for the PAC 12. Three really good coaches but it drops off after that. Stanford, Oregon, and Washington could hold their own against anyone. Not sure how the middle of the conference stacks up. The bottom is a crapshoot, like it is for every conference.

Offense looked like it could score at will. CSU had no answer for Viska, but CU really didn’t utilize him very much. I suppose it’s possible to be both pleased and dissatisfied with the game. I’m concerned about Montez’ accuracy. He made some spectacular throws in very tight coverage while also completely missing wide open receivers. It’s hard to be too upset with a defense that forced 4 turnovers and scored off a fumble recovery, but they looked very pedestrian to me. I’m hoping it was mostly first game rustiness and new system adjustments. They certainly looked a lot better in the second half.

Back