What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

******Official RMS Game Thread******

Montez thru a pick six that the CSU "receiver" whiffed on. He forced another to Harris for a completion, but was an awful decision. Had a couple other bad decisions that didn't cost us, but should have.
Montez was not impressive. His mechanics were lazy, and decision making suspect.

Just glad you are willing to engage in a discussion. Such solid points.

It is like some of you don't watch much college football. Montez played better than any QB in Stan/NW, including Costello--who only played one half because he has a glass jaw. (Say what you want about Montez, he's durable.) He outplayed CSU's QB because interceptions count. Does he run like Kordell? No. Does he throw like Koy? No. But he's a plus college QB. I attribute all the whinging here to typical fan complaints about every starting QB. I expect that next season, he'll be missed.

It is like some of you don't watch much college football. Montez played better than any QB in Stan/NW, including Costello--who only played one half because he has a glass jaw. (Say what you want about Montez, he's durable.) He outplayed CSU's QB because interceptions count. Does he run like Kordell? No. Does he throw like Koy? No. But he's a plus college QB. I attribute all the whinging here to typical fan complaints about every starting QB. I expect that next season, he'll be missed.

My assessment is he is a pretty average college QB who can be really inconsistent. Sorry that extremely harsh criticism hurts your feelings.

My assessment is he is a pretty average college QB who can be really inconsistent. Sorry that extremely harsh criticism hurts your feelings.

You're not hurting my feelings, I just think you have a typical fan's perspective on his team's starting QB. Without that lens, and comparing Montez to other college QBs, he's a plus player at the position. Not great, but above "pretty average".

Also, pretty hilarious response from a guy who posted this: "Just glad you are willing to engage in a discussion. Such solid points." Nice job Mr. Pot.

Last edited:
You're not hurting my feelings, I just think you have a typical fan's perspective on his team's starting QB. Without that lens, and comparing Montez to other college QB, he's a plus player at the position. Not great, but above "pretty average".

Also, pretty hilarious response from a guy who posted this: "Just glad you are willing to engage in a discussion. Such solid points." Nice job Mr. Pot.

Thanks, Kettle.

Your assessment that he is a "plus" player is based on what measure? I would seriously like to know. Stats? Wins? Intangibles? He seems pretty average in just about every respect. He looks like a superstar against really weak non-conference schedules and has some clunkers against tougher conference opponents, and then just looks mediocre most of the other games.

I will be very happy if he proves me wrong, but when you see the guy making obvious mistakes (absolutely airmailing over Nixon's head on that third down in the second half), you have to wonder why a QB with that many starts is making those mistakes.

I think a lot of us are frustrated with Steven because he has shown so much promise yet never has really lived up to it. And we see all of his flaws which seem to us to be so fixable but never do they get fixed. He is an enigma. He has spurts of greatness only to bury them in fits of futility.

For example, the first TD pass was a thing of beauty. A perfect pass. But then on a 3rd and 4 later in the game he had a guy wide open in the left flat for an easy and critical first down only to throw awkwardly off his back foot and bounce it short of the receiver.

He just cannot stay calm in the midst of pressure. If I’m an opposing coach, I tell my guys to do everything you can to pressure him and hit him when possible. If you do that he will be fidgety the remainder of the game.

Thanks, Kettle.

Your assessment that he is a "plus" player is based on what measure? I would seriously like to know. Stats? Wins? Intangibles? He seems pretty average in just about every respect. He looks like a superstar against really weak non-conference schedules and has some clunkers against tougher conference opponents, and then just looks mediocre most of the other games.

I will be very happy if he proves me wrong, but when you see the guy making obvious mistakes (absolutely airmailing over Nixon's head on that third down in the second half), you have to wonder why a QB with that many starts is making those mistakes.

It's based on my own eyes. The thing is, every college QB makes obvious mistakes--missing throws, throwing balls they shouldn't. I just think you grade Montez on the fan curve--which means his mistakes piss you off so much in the moment you respond emotionally, all while every other college QB is making the same mistakes or worse. Because of this you downplay the good/great throws he makes--like the two TD throws on Friday and the laser through traffic to Stanley. You like to pretend that those plus throws are pedestrian.

It's based on my own eyes. The thing is, every college QB makes obvious mistakes--missing throws, throwing balls they shouldn't. I just think you grade Montez on the fan curve--which means his mistakes piss you off so much in the moment you respond emotionally, all while every other college QB is making the same mistakes or worse. Because of this you downplay the good/great throws he makes--like the two TD throws on Friday and the laser through traffic to Stanley. You like to pretend that those plus throws are pedestrian.
He had some nice throws, but he also barely missed two picks because we were playing CSU’s slower corners, one that would have been a pick 6. That would have completely changed the game and they were on throws he shouldn’t have tried to make and won’t get away with for the rest of the year.

He’s a 6.5 out of 10 player, due to mechanics, mental mistakes, and lack of leadership. His arm talent overcomes a lot.

He had some nice throws, but he also barely missed two picks because we were playing CSU’s slower corners, one that would have been a pick 6. That would have completely changed the game and they were on throws he shouldn’t have tried to make and won’t get away with for the rest of the year.

He’s a 6.5 out of 10 player, due to mechanics, mental mistakes, and lack of leadership. His arm talent overcomes a lot.

That's fair, I'd say 7.5.

My frustration with Montez is that he doesn't make the simple plays a lot of times.

Things like stepping into a throw to the left flat to get a 1st down that would keep a drive alive. Or, similarly, taking an easy scramble for a 1st down instead of trying a tough pass downfield that goes incomplete and forces a punt. Or missing a basic read all game -- cover-2 with safeties bracketing the WR on the outside means that the seam has to be attacked but he didn't throw there once.

As long as he doesn't create turnovers, he will make enough plays to win games. He is not a QB who will patiently and efficiently take what the defense is giving, though.

Last edited:
If I’m an opposing coach, I tell my guys to do everything you can to pressure him and hit him when possible. If you do that he will be fidgety the remainder of the game.

What do you tell your guys to do to other QBs, Mr. Lombardi?

He made at least three high level throws on Friday night. I acknowledge he makes some great throws. He also makes routine throws look a little rough. Gary's 6.5/10 seems about right, I might go 6/10 due to his awkward running.

Montez missed a couple throws that no fifth year senior should ever miss. A simple flare to a wide open RB out of the backfield and he misses it by 5 yards. Then he throws a laser into coverage for a 15 yard completion. Cut down on the bonehead plays and he’s a very solid quarterback. Problem is those bonehead plays can often be the difference between winning and losing.

And I wouldn’t be shocked to see Montez go 25 for 35, 350 yards and 3 TD passes against ‘braska. Neither would I be shocked to see him go 15 for 30 with a couple of picks.

That's fair, I'd say 7.5.
7.5? We expect more out of 5th year senior QB's with 2 seasons of straight starts around here. Yesterday's performance of a pick 6 (albeit unpicked off) against bottom tier G5 talent isn't great. Montez needs to be more of a difference maker this year if we hope to get to 6 wins (and to get a 7.5) imo. Heck, a 7.0 is rich.

Back