What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

******Official RMS Game Thread******

7.5? We expect more out of 5th year senior QB's with 2 seasons of straight starts around here. Yesterday's performance of a pick 6 (albeit unpicked off) against bottom tier G5 talent isn't great. Montez needs to be more of a difference maker this year if we hope to get to 6 wins (and to get a 7.5) imo.

Blah, blah, blah. It's hard to take you seriously when you count phantom interceptions. Maybe I should count the pass 'viska lost in the lights as a TD?

I’m not sure why Montez brings up such contention here, he’s a decent QB. He over and under throws guys who are wide open. Then he will turn around and drop a dime 40 yards downfield to a receiver, he’s an enigma. I think most of the frustration about him, at least mine, is that he’s been here for 5 years and he STILL makes the same mistakes and poor choices. It just doesn’t seem like he’s ever grown or progressed as a QB.

It’s frustrating to witness when someone has all the talent and they seem to make the game harder than it already is. He made throws against CSU that made me cringe, if they didn’t suck he had at least 2 INT’s.

I’m not sure why Montez brings up such contention here, he’s a decent QB. He over and under throws guys who are wide open. Then he will turn around and drop a dime 40 yards downfield to a receiver, he’s an enigma. I think most of the frustration about him, at least mine, is that he’s been here for 5 years and he STILL makes the same mistakes and poor choices. It just doesn’t seem like he’s ever grown or progressed as a QB.

It’s frustrating to witness when someone has all the talent and they seem to make the game harder than it already is. He made throws against CSU that made me cringe, if they didn’t suck he had at least 2 INT’s.
You answered your own question. To “I’m not sure why Montez brings up such contention here” you answered “he’s an enigma.”

You answered your own question To “I’m not sure why Montez brings up such contention here” you answered “he’s an enigma.”

Bad wording on my part. I don’t see why there’s such contention here between each other. He’s not John Elway, I don’t see why anyone is up in arms over criticism of him. It’s all fair and legitimate criticism.

Reactions: DBT
Expectations met.
Montez is who we knew he was.

Makes me go hmmm
-AF 28pt 2Q is no joke
-

Montez was workmanlike under MT's ground-pound attack. No need to flash anything, yet he did both to Brown and the TEs. From where I sat, (40 yd. line westside, lower level, I saw two errant throws: the first on that out,where the CSU LB dropped his coverage and reversed at the last minute and looked in position intercept, and the other to a an open Mangnam. Lots of what looked like "close calls for INTs" that ended up as catches; happens in EVERY GAME! DB just misses the ball! Big Deal....it IS a game of inches.

Really? AF? Really???? That was Colgate they played; you must've missed their opponent! Pomona High School has more D-1 players than Colgate!

Blah, blah, blah. It's hard to take you seriously when you count phantom interceptions. Maybe I should count the pass 'viska lost in the lights as a TD?

Glad you are so evidence-based. 🤣 I dont care if you take me seriously or not.
Please return to your illusion of fandom and ensure you conclude that pointing out sub-par play is "hating on Montez." When he plays well against Nebraska remind us that you stood up for him when we all hated on him.
Montez has all the tools, but he is not using them correctly when it matters. As a 5th year senior with this many starts, he will need to be better when the margin for error on 3rd down isnt so forgiving because we are playing P5 talent/programs.

Maybe somebody pull Montez QBR and efficiency ratings and rankings over the years to add some definition to this discussion?

Maybe somebody pull Montez QBR and efficiency ratings and rankings over the years to add some definition to this discussion?

Last season, Montez’ QBR was 63.5, which ranked him 53 out of 128 rated players
In 2017, Montez’ QBR was 58, which ranked him 63 out of 127 rated players.

He’s a fifth year player with over two dozen starts and NFL level physical tools. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want this player to exceed a middle of the road rating.

Last edited:

Montez’ QBR in 2018 placed him #53 out of 128 college quarterbacks, one spot behind AZ Tate and one ahead of kNU Martinez.

His currently sits at #9 after one game in 2019.

Last season, Montez’ QBR was 63.5, which ranked him 63 out of 128 rated players
In 2017, Montez’ QBR was 58, which ranked him 63 out of 127 rated players.

He’s a fifth year player with over two dozen starts and NFL level physical tools. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want this player to exceed a middle of the road rating.
When he does something sparking, fans get their hope up. Then he throws short into the flat off his back foot. He is both these players, frequently.

I was on his bandwagon big time early in. I advocated him to start in 16. I was wrong.

I have come to accept his for who he is. Both parts.

His biggest thing, to me, is just inconsistency and feel for the game. Whether it's mentally or physically, it'll show up. That said, rooting for the guy.

When he does something sparking, fans get their hope up. Then he throws short into the flat off his back foot. He is both these players, frequently.

I was on his bandwagon big time early in. I advocated him to start in 16. I was wrong.

I have come to accept his for who he is. Both parts.

He is who he is, sure. The flashes of brilliance next to boneheaded plays are what frustrate people like me.

Why would you say that? They would owe him a boat load of money that they don’t have to fire him.

Given what I saw last night, they’re a bowl team out of the MWC. That keeps him around.

Agree, I think they have a decent chance at beating Arky again after seeing the Razorbacks struggle yesterday

Montez’s passing efficiency isn’t going to change, as noted. I just wish he was a greater threat as a runner.

Yeah. If he cannot be an elite passer from the pocket, the dual threat nature of his game would be nice to see. If anything, that is the most head-scratching part of his game. He has no feel for running in the open field outside of a handful of wide open runs a year.

Yeah. If he cannot be an elite passer from the pocket, the dual threat nature of his game would be nice to see. If anything, that is the most head-scratching part of his game. He has no feel for running in the open field outside of a handful of wide open runs a year.
He is a very timid, tentative runner. Surprising for the athlete he is.

Were his runs Friday designed or read? I couldn’t tell.
I can recall at least one that was designed. And I remember it being reasonably successful. But its success was despite his lack of feel for his surroundings. He just looks awkward as a runner.

When I think of Montez, I still immediately think of his start against Oregon in 2016. He couldn't stop making huge plays that game, both with his arm and with his feet. It seemed like he had these innate qualities and abilities that we haven't seen in a CU qb since the 90s. I read this at the time as Montez having a natural instinct for the game, but I actually think it's kind of the opposite of that. Montez often makes plays that have me believing hasn't developed any literacy for his situations-- he doesn't respond to the context of his surroundings. There were a handful of these plays in the CSU game. Time and time again, I'm reminded he has the talent to make the big play, when it's there, but he seems less concerned with making the right play in certain contexts, whether this results in failing to convert a third and short or neglecting to run when he has an easy 15 yards in front of him on first down. In the end I suppose I don't view him so much as an enigma, but just as a gunslinger type qb. He makes jaw dropping throws that other qb's couldn't dream of making, but also makes plenty of head scratchers. His attitude and body language on the field evince this sort of thing as well. I will say that I remember his game winning TD passes to Bobo vs Oregon in 2016, and to Viska in 2018 against the nubs, far more than I remember any pick six he threw along the way.

He's never going to be the seasoned veteran we imagined him becoming. He won't be cool and collected, and he also won't be the determined leader we saw Sefo develop into. But he is the type of guy who will make a play in decisive situations. I think his style is going to work really well with this team. Our defense isn't going to be good enough that a reliable, game manager type will get us to a bowl. But it does seem like we have an offensive philosophy that is committed to the run. I like the thought of Montez averaging somewhere around 25 or so throws a game; we know a solid handful of these will be the type that most college qb's typically cannot make. We can limit his mistakes by not making our offensive strategy rely too heavily on him, but if we know when we should rely on him, we can be decently sure he's gonna come through, especially when he's throwing to guys like Viska, Nixon and Brown.

I think part of the problem is Montez played out of his mind in his very first game. Everyone thought that he was just going to build off that Oregon game, but he never even came close. He peaked too early, which threw off everyones expectations

Don't want to sound like I am dumping on Mike Mac but it strikes me as notable that for a program that was supposed to be built around the idea of developing talent we sure saw a lot of talent that didn't develop.

Is Montez lack of development his fault or the coaches fault. We may never know but I'm willing to at least consider that four years of the same mistakes, the same bad fundamentals, the same frustrating inability to live up to his talent lever isn't going to be overcome suddenly by one year under Mel's staff.

We know that up until now he worked in an offense that didn't protect him. Most QBs if subject to the beating he has taken would get a bit gunshy.

Also remember that as much as we love Sefo's guts and desire he also had some very basic deficiencies in his game that never seemed to improve. He never got over throwing INTs in the flats, he never learned to go off the primary receiver and come back to a wide open TE .

I do believe that we focus much more on his deficiencies than others do. He isn't a great college QB but I think a lot of schools including some who tend to win a lot would gladly take him.

Don't want to sound like I am dumping on Mike Mac but it strikes me as notable that for a program that was supposed to be built around the idea of developing talent we sure saw a lot of talent that didn't develop.

Is Montez lack of development his fault or the coaches fault. We may never know but I'm willing to at least consider that four years of the same mistakes, the same bad fundamentals, the same frustrating inability to live up to his talent lever isn't going to be overcome suddenly by one year under Mel's staff.

We know that up until now he worked in an offense that didn't protect him. Most QBs if subject to the beating he has taken would get a bit gunshy.

Also remember that as much as we love Sefo's guts and desire he also had some very basic deficiencies in his game that never seemed to improve. He never got over throwing INTs in the flats, he never learned to go off the primary receiver and come back to a wide open TE .

I do believe that we focus much more on his deficiencies than others do. He isn't a great college QB but I think a lot of schools including some who tend to win a lot would gladly take him.
You sound like you are dumping on Mac.

Back