What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practice Thread

He’s there to watch film and practice at the invitation of MM. I hope they talked about a role for him as an analyst. This has nothing to do with RG.

I'm guessing this is just what HC's do while taking a year to find a job. I don't see how Graham could be an analyst for anyone, given he's a defensive guy who had awful defensive units at ASU. He did know how to get to the QB, so I guess that's one thing he seemed good at?

Scrolling through some pictures and this stuck out to me a little bit. Tackle splits seem to be significantly wider than the Guard splits. That's one of the defining features of the Air Raid system for the OL, opening up passing lanes and forcing a longer route for edge rushers to the QB. Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is truly the case and not just a one off, deceiving picture, it has Chev written all over it. Prepare yourselves.

Splits.JPG

Scrolling through some pictures and this stuck out to me a little bit. Tackle splits seem to be significantly wider than the Guard splits. That's one of the defining features of the Air Raid system for the OL, opening up passing lanes and forcing a longer route for edge rushers to the QB. Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is truly the case and not just a one off, deceiving picture, it has Chev written all over it. Prepare yourselves.

View attachment 25249
Nothing suggests Air Raid to me.

Spread spread, yes.
Air raid, no.

Nothing suggests Air Raid to me.

Spread spread, yes.
Air raid, no.
CU has been running the "Spread" for years under Lindgren and the Tackle splits have never been that wide from anything I can recall. I'm sure Chev isn't all of the sudden going full Texas Tech Air Raid, but based on his background and the fact that he has literally said he would be incorporating more Air Raid concepts into the offense, I think it's fair to say the offense isn't just status quo from previous years.

View attachment 25249
Those look a lot like TT splits to me....

CU has been running the "Spread" for years under Lindgren and the Tackle splits have never been that wide from anything I can recall. I'm sure Chev isn't all of the sudden going full Texas Tech Air Raid, but based on his background and the fact that he has literally said he would be incorporating more Air Raid concepts into the offense, I think it's fair to say the offense isn't just status quo from previous years.

Agree. It looks different. Much more creative use of personnel. Run pass ratio nowhere need full Air Raid. But, yes, concepts incorporated.

Air Raid wins a lot of football games. Not the games that really matter, but still a lot of games. I don't like it because it doesn't do very well in the post season, but I would take a handful of 8-9 win seasons in a row.

Air Raid wins a lot of football games. Not the games that really matter, but still a lot of games. I don't like it because it doesn't do very well in the post season, but I would take a handful of 8-9 win seasons in a row.

One Air Raid school has won at that level consistently. The others? Not so much.

Even if it not full Air Raid, this is not a good long-term move. At all.

Piece the facts together folks. Huge splits. An OC from an air raid school. Not so many TE's. Thin RB corps. A TON of high quality WR's. It isn't rocket science. You are going to see something Air Raid-ish.

Several teams use similar concepts without going full Pirate on O. Cal, for instance, still incorporated some concepts even though they got rid of Dykes. Wait and see before we hit the panic button.

I'm suspicious of making a case based on one image. Wasn't there a televised spring practice held recently? I wonder if the o-line splits can be seen on that video . . .

I'm suspicious of making a case based on one image. Wasn't there a televised spring practice held recently? I wonder if the o-line splits can be seen on that video . . .
Yeah, I didn't mean to post that as definitive evidence, but those are very abnormally wide splits and if they're practicing it, I think it's safe to say they plan on incorporating certain aspects.

One Air Raid school has won at that level consistently. The others? Not so much.

Even if it not full Air Raid, this is not a good long-term move. At all.
I struggling to think of which team that is. I'm sure it should be obvious, but it ain't coming to me.

Piece the facts together folks. Huge splits. An OC from an air raid school. Not so many TE's. Thin RB corps. A TON of high quality WR's. It isn't rocket science. You are going to see something Air Raid-ish.

Several teams use similar concepts without going full Pirate on O. Cal, for instance, still incorporated some concepts even though they got rid of Dykes. Wait and see before we hit the panic button.

Here is what I do not understand about this offensive shift-why is there such a heavy focus on "PLAYING FAST!!!!!!!!!!!"

It just gets repeated over and over again as if it is self-evident. Is it?

I struggling to think of which team that is. I'm sure it should be obvious, but it ain't coming to me.
Leach has only had 2 seasons as a head coach with less than 6 wins, both of those are WSU. TTU hit 8 wins or more 8 times and WSU has now done it 3 in a row. Art Briles won a ton of games at **** Bailer with the Air Raid. Lincoln Riley had success with Air Raid concepts at OU this year (also had a generational college QB).

Here is what I do not understand about this offensive shift-why is there such a heavy focus on "PLAYING FAST!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes. An offense gains an advantage by playing fast because the defense will misalign more often and is also more likely become fatigued over the course of a series. Whether this makes up for the time of possession problem that crops up and the resulting effect on your defense is questionable.

Because they know they don't have the horses on either side of the ball to consistently win straight up against the better teams. Playing fast, no huddle, being able to switch to multiple offensive sets with the same personnel, keeping the same defensive personnel on the field for the offenses advantage, etc. Going play for play, straight up against USC isn't happening.

Yes. An offense gains an advantage by playing fast because the defense will misalign more often and is also more likely become fatigued over the course of a series. Whether this makes up for the time of possession problem that crops up and the resulting effect on your defense is questionable.

An offense definitely gains an advantage by not huddling and preventing substitutions. But are there diminishing returns on actually playing really fast in addition to not huddling?

I am picturing a 2018 CU season with AWFUL home/road splits.

Because they know they don't have the horses on either side of the ball to consistently win straight up against the better teams. Playing fast, no huddle, being able to switch to multiple offensive sets with the same personnel, keeping the same defensive personnel on the field for the offenses advantage, etc. Going play for play, straight up against USC isn't happening.

So if the Buffs go 6-6 in 2018 and basically just win some high-scoring games, do they play even faster in 2019?

Back