What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practice Thread

QB: Some talent, but Montez as a top-half Pac-12 QB is questionable in my mind. Roper was a terrific hire as QB coach.

RB: Below average and depth issues. Hagan is mediocre.

WR: Clearly upgrading talent here year by year. Chev is a good coach.

TE: After thought and mediocre talent overall. Bernardi is a mediocre coach.

OL: Some talent, but a severe lack of depth. Dearth of upperclassmen in numbers and talent. Adams is a solid coach who could make the jump this year.

DL: Below average talent and there are depth issues. Coach is TBD.

OLB: Potentially some decent talent here. Position coach is solid.

ILB: Average talent with improving depth. Coach is solid.

CB: Good talent with improving depth. Position coach is good.

S: Average talent with depth issues. Position coach is good.

OC: TBD
DC: Below average

A good assessment.

Have to ask what you mean by a "PAC12" football player. Does that mean a guy who would be a starter for half or more teams in the conference or a guy who would be on the depth chart and might see some playing time? Does it mean a guy who is ready to play in the league right now or a guy with the potential to develop into a regular player.

From one standpoint we are getting much better. Not to many years ago when the Buffs lined up against most of our conference opponents they were bigger, faster, stronger, more skilled. We looked like a different level team. Now for the most part we look like we belong on the same field. Also more so in the past couple classes than before we are signing kids who have legitimate offers from other P5 schools. A lot of these guys haven't developed into P5 players yet but at least it looks like they are on their way.

Thanks Duff, a reasonable assessment. Since the only football experience I have is having played in HS and a couple years in college, I am not sure what good coaching actually is other than the experiences I have had. Anecdotally, my friends who were much more successful than me who went on to the pros ALL said they hated the coaches.

I just want to know the x factor beyond measurables. What makes one kid of the same weight and height better than the next one?

A good assessment.

Have to ask what you mean by a "PAC12" football player. Does that mean a guy who would be a starter for half or more teams in the conference or a guy who would be on the depth chart and might see some playing time? Does it mean a guy who is ready to play in the league right now or a guy with the potential to develop into a regular player.

From one standpoint we are getting much better. Not to many years ago when the Buffs lined up against most of our conference opponents they were bigger, faster, stronger, more skilled. We looked like a different level team. Now for the most part we look like we belong on the same field. Also more so in the past couple classes than before we are signing kids who have legitimate offers from other P5 schools. A lot of these guys haven't developed into P5 players yet but at least it looks like they are on their way.

Got to know a former player who had played for Embree, recruited by EB. He said the big difference between CU and the USCs of the world was that CU had football players and the USCs of the world had athletes. Interesting to talk to him about his time on the team, wish he had a better experience as a CU fb player.

Got to know a former player who had played for Embree, recruited by EB. He said the big difference between CU and the USCs of the world was that CU had football players and the USCs of the world had athletes. Interesting to talk to him about his time on the team, wish he had a better experience as a CU fb player.
Was this former player a FB player or an athlete?

Everyone has mentioned that Roper is a great hire. I was thinking about all of Montez's strengths and weaknesses from last year, and if Roper can improve a couple things, the Steven could take another step forward into the top 3-4 PAC 12 QB's. (Browning, Tate, Herbert, Montez, Bowers)
They are in my mind:
1) Ball Handling and Ball Fakes. There has always been a lot of sloppy ball handling in the backfield with CU QB's under Lindgren, and if Montez is sharper with the ball on RPO and other fakes, he could free up more time for him in the backfield. Help to hide the OL weaknesses.
2) Deep Ball Touch is the most important thing he can improve. There were 9-12 long balls that Montez flat out missed on, including his mastery of sideline balls that he likes to throw out of bounds. With the incredible talent and size of this years WR's, if you make those throws this year, those are all TD's.

Not rhetorical at all. There are some in this forum who suggest that CU has a dearth of talent and a lack of coaching ability.

My question is straight up.

Take it by position groups if willing.

P12 caliber: WR, QB, OLB, K, P - Chiv (for WR, not OC), Els, Brown (likely, Roper

Below P12 caliber: OL, DL, TE, RB, ILB, CB, S - MM, Eliot, Bernardi, Adams, PP group, Hagen, Wilson

Too early: Drake, Ambrose.

Last edited:
Everyone has mentioned that Roper is a great hire. I was thinking about all of Montez's strengths and weaknesses from last year, and if Roper can improve a couple things, the Steven could take another step forward into the top 3-4 PAC 12 QB's. (Browning, Tate, Herbert, Montez, Bowers)
They are in my mind:
1) Ball Handling and Ball Fakes. There has always been a lot of sloppy ball handling in the backfield with CU QB's under Lindgren, and if Montez is sharper with the ball on RPO and other fakes, he could free up more time for him in the backfield. Help to hide the OL weaknesses.
2) Deep Ball Touch is the most important thing he can improve. There were 9-12 long balls that Montez flat out missed on, including his mastery of sideline balls that he likes to throw out of bounds. With the incredible talent and size of this years WR's, if you make those throws this year, those are all TD's.
I think one of the biggest things with him is being able to work the pocket. Honestly, I haven't seen it as of yet. I've seen him leave the pocket early if his reads aren't there, too many times.

They are in my mind:
I think you and Lucko have hit most of the things Montez needs to work on, but for me, the number one item, is for him to improve his understanding of what the defense is trying to do to him.

I think you and Lucko have hit most of the things Montez needs to work on, but for me, the number one item, is for him to improve his understanding of what the defense is trying to do to him.
Yep, agree with you there. Another thing, he needs to know he doesn't have to throw every route 500mph, especially slants. He's gotta put pace on it but not try to cut the receiver in half. Once the game slows for him a bit, maybe some of these things will work themselves out.

Not impressed. Returning starts? Tackles? Passes defended? Depth?

Botton 1/2 of p12.
We've been top few for several years so I will assume we will be ok here. Oliver had one offer and he's replaced by Miller who was offered by everyone. This is a position of strength.

P12 caliber: WR, QB, OLB, K, P - Chiv (for WR, not OC), Els, Brown (likely, Roper

Below P12 caliber: OL, DL, TE, RB, ILB, CB, S - MM, Eliot, Bernardi, Adams, PP group, Hagen, Wilson

I think most of CU's roster is PAC12 caliber now, maybe not on par with Washington or USC right now, but very competitive against everyone else. So instead of the way you ranked them I am going with what I am excited about and what I am apprehensive about.

I am apprehensive about:
1. Whether Montez can develop as a QB and become a real P12 starter. Last year he struggled. Obviously has the physical tools, just has to transfer to the field.
2. Offensive line - Such a huge unknown here. We have a lot of dudes, I just wonder if any of them will end up being the GUYS.
3. Outside Linebacker - We have a couple of starters we know can play, but I haven't a clue if there is any depth left after the departures. One injury and this becomes a glaring weakness.

What I'm excited about this year:
1. I expect a MASSIVE improvement on the defensive line. I think this group will be the biggest surprise on the team. Much like they were two years ago.
2. Watching Drew Lewis continue to turn into a dominant inside linebacker. Guy has all the physical tools and he plays mean. Going to be fun to watch him behind an improved defensive line.
3. I'm excited to see if MM is really a cornerback whisperer. With Abramscoming in and a bunch of guys with the physical talent that got torched last year, MM has a tall task ahead of him (This means I expect improvement but this group could end up quickly becoming the group we're all most apprehensive about).
4. This WR group can be so dangerous if Montez can get them the ball. CU has a ton of talent at this position.
5. Special teams development started happening last year. CU could finally punt and kick. Now if they can block and cover....(I think they will have some big returns)
6. The safety and buff backer positions should be strong this year. Worthington & Fisher can play and I can't wait to see Davion Taylor wreck some havoc with his size, speed and quickness combination (Yes I assume he is going to get on the field quickly).
7. Last but not least, I am very excited to see our grad transfer running back. If the line can hold up at all, he could be in for a huge year and be able to give this offense balance. Plus I am hearing good things about a certain redshirt freshman...wait do I have to change the font to say that?

The CB position has been a strength just about every year MM has been here. It is his specialty and he takes pride in that. CU will be fine there, from what we have seen in the past.

Everything else can definitely be debated as average to below caliber in your second part. Although, if Safety position starters stays healthy, they will be fine (HUGE if though).

Bowers threw for the most average yards per game last year, and folks are high on him. How would you rate the 12 QB's in the PAC 12?

2018 only
Top tier: Stanford, Oregon, UofA, UW
Middle: CU, ASU, Utah, UCLA
Bottom: Cal, OSU,

UCLA - Michigan transfer bails them out of a tough spot.
USC - will likely be middle soon enough.

I was not impressed with Bowers at all last year. He does have a solid QB coach and OC, so could make a jump.

Our #2 needs to get some game experience but our talent level is 2x better than its been in years, going back to when Neuheisel left the cupboard bare. Gary was juco central, then Klatt (walkon) with zero pipeline. Hawkins inherited zip at QB paving the way for Cody. Its been painful since then.

Edit: WSU also an unknown but would seen to be a step backward

Last edited:
And Landman. Good gravy. I can’t wait to see that kid play next year. I think he is going to be special. I’m envisioning him just blowing up some poor unsuspecting CSU tailback.

Landman might be my favorite player on this team. I love his energy and nose for the ball.

It's HAGAN not Hagen.

I can't believe people on a CU board constantly misspell one of our best players of all time
tomahto.jpg

Back