What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practice Thread

The work by Javier is very important.

Not trying to be insulting but last year he was a fat blob. He looked like a guy who was so heavy he couldn't effectively get out of his stance at the snap.

If he has as reported and as it looks dropped 40-60 lbs while building his strength he can get off the ball fast enough to control the center instead of getting moved.

If that is the case then the other 10 players on defense can all be more effective.

Everyone has mentioned that Roper is a great hire. I was thinking about all of Montez's strengths and weaknesses from last year, and if Roper can improve a couple things, the Steven could take another step forward into the top 3-4 PAC 12 QB's. (Browning, Tate, Herbert, Montez, Bowers)
They are in my mind:
1) Ball Handling and Ball Fakes. There has always been a lot of sloppy ball handling in the backfield with CU QB's under Lindgren, and if Montez is sharper with the ball on RPO and other fakes, he could free up more time for him in the backfield. Help to hide the OL weaknesses.
2) Deep Ball Touch is the most important thing he can improve. There were 9-12 long balls that Montez flat out missed on, including his mastery of sideline balls that he likes to throw out of bounds. With the incredible talent and size of this years WR's, if you make those throws this year, those are all TD's.
My number 1 hope for Montez is he gets the ball out of his hands quicker. I am optimistic that Roper can help with that.

Are we really worried about vertical movements with that knee, no. It’s how it performs with lateral pressure.
tenor.gif

Random thought after seeing two centers drafted in the first round last night: is Pursell taking over for Huckins potentially the biggest upgrade at any position?
The talent upgrade at ol could be a lot of fun. Pancakes being back would make me happy

Random thought after seeing two centers drafted in the first round last night: is Pursell taking over for Huckins potentially the biggest upgrade at any position?
I think Center is the most important position on a college OL. I'm very excited about Pursell. I think he's going to be an all-conference player here eventually and a significant upgrade this year.

He is a workout warrior for sure and has some good explosion to him, getting everything down as a center is always tough though.

I expect growing pains, but Huckins was just not a Pac-12 caliber center IMO. Very limited athleticism.

I'm looking forward to Pursell. Any time a RS freshman is clearly the favorite to win an OL position it bodes well for the talent coming up.

I don't know if I had posted this, but Pursell was actually the best C on the team last year but they tried to get by with redshirting him. It was pretty desperate later in the season once the injuries had hit, but by then it just seemed to be too much loss for too little gain if they pulled the RS.

I don't know if I had posted this, but Pursell was actually the best C on the team last year but they tried to get by with redshirting him. It was pretty desperate later in the season once the injuries had hit, but by then it just seemed to be too much loss for too little gain if they pulled the RS.
I don’t know where you get this info, but I really, really hope you’re right. It could make for a special year (or four) if so.

I expect growing pains, but Huckins was just not a Pac-12 caliber center IMO. Very limited athleticism.
I distinctly remember how excited Maximus was to get him. Finally a P5 OL recruit who had the size to play, without having to gain weight.... That's when I figured that Huckins would have feet like cement blocks.

Back