What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Oregon State

True, just have to really be careful drinking beer while cheering and jumping up and down

Disagree. Riley always had a few really solid players on offense and he was very good at developing talent (especially QBs). He didn't have talent up and down the roster. Andersen is recruiting well but it's really bare right now.
When Anderson lost Sataki it was a punch to the nuts for recruiting. That dude is so awesome to have a conversation with. Look for his presence at BYU to hurt Utah's O and D line over the next few years.

Why in the world would you go with a white out at home? That's the opposing teams primary color for the game. This isn't going to work very well.

I know some people are going to hate on the White Out. I get it. But it looked so good against CSU last year.

12006510_10204682336560299_78062840059981159_o.jpg

Why in the world would you go with a white out at home? That's the opposing teams primary color for the game. This isn't going to work very well.
Penn State does it quite a bit and it is awesome. Also the CSU game last year worked out very well.

Disagree. Riley always had a few really solid players on offense and he was very good at developing talent (especially QBs). He didn't have talent up and down the roster. Andersen is recruiting well but it's really bare right now.
I think we are mostly in agreement, actually. I was referring to the excellent job development and winning that Riley did in Corvallis with players who weren't (at the time they were signed) considered to be very talented. Just some numbers to consider:
  • In 12 recruiting classes in his second stint at OSU, he signed a TOTAL of 19 players that were 4 or 5 stars (which, considering how awful OSU had been prior to the late '90s for about 40 years, the fact it's Corvallis, and the facilities they had at the time is a pretty remarkably good job in and of itself)
    • 4 (Matt Moore, Edorian McCullough, Keith Ellison, and Joey LaRocque) were JUCO 4 stars that he only had for 2 seasons
    • 5 (Reggie Dunn, David Ross, Simi Kuli (the only 5*), Happy Iona, Tomasi Molesi) never saw the field for OSU prior to transferring elsewhere
    • 3 (Shayden Akuna, Caleb Smith, Dashon Hunt) either medically retired or left football without making an impact
    • 1 (Ruben Jackson) barely made an impact, playing in only 18 games as a RS-JR/SR
    • 6 (Isaac Seumalo, Brandin Cooks, Sean Mannion, Michael Phillips, Bryan Payton, and Gabe Miller) panned out and contributed in a major way for the majority of their career.
  • Two of those recruiting classes ranked higher than 40th in the nation 38th). Most were in the 50s.
  • Despite that, he coached 31 players drafted into the NFL over that time, meaning he coached almost entirely 2-3 stars up into NFL players
He also finished the season ranked 4 times. I think that's a pretty good job considering he had only 6 "4-year" guys to work with that were 4*.

With the conference record the Buffs have had since every one of these guys other than the 2016 signees... I can't believe they would overlook anyone and not be focused on the week at hand. It really wouldn't make sense to me. I think it helps, too, that the team leaders are not guys who individually seek or like the spotlight all that much. So I doubt that a win and some national pub is going to go to their heads.

That said, this is a significant test of the team's character. Important step on cementing a winning culture is to be able to flush a win as easily as they flush a loss.

A little more analysis - all stats from ESPN.com except SOS:

OSU Passing Yards/Game: 197 (98th in the country)
CU Passing Defense Yards/Game: 162 (17th)

OSU Rushing Yards/Game: 144 (94th)
CU Rushing Defense Yards/Game: 145 (55th)

OSU Total Yards/Game: 341 (110th)
CU Defense Yards/Game: 307 (36th)

OSU Points/Game: 28 (77th)
CU Points Given Up/Game: 24 (54th)

CU Passing Yards/Game: 312 (22nd)
OSU Passing Defense Yards/Game: 198 (41st)

CU Rushing Yards/Game: 211 (39th)
OSU Rushing Defense Yards/Game: 187 (90th)

CU Total Yards/Game: 523 (15th)
OSU Total Yards Defense/Game: 385 (63rd)

CU Points/Game: 42 (23rd)
OSU Points Given Up/Game: 25 (56th)

Strength of Schedule: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
CU: 40th
OSU: 53rd

FWIW: USC has played the nation's toughest schedule up to this point, per Sagarin - and UCLA is 3rd.
Never trust these things until the season is more than half over. Take note how much the numbers bounce around from week to week and then how the bounces get smaller and smaller as we get through October.

I don't have a white CU shirt. :(
Only reason I have one is that they did a white out for CU/CSU last year...I think it was the RMS...I vaguely remember walking around 16th street mall hunting for a white fukin CU shirt..once I found the right store I knew right away because there was a line of people around the white CU shirts. Nobody owns white buffs gear!!! Bad idea!

Only reason I have one is that they did a white out for CU/CSU last year...I think it was the RMS...I vaguely remember walking around 16th street mall hunting for a white fukin CU shirt..once I found the right store I knew right away because there was a line of people around the white CU shirts. Nobody owns white buffs gear!!! Bad idea!

Well... actually that makes it a great idea. No one owns white CU gear, so guess what? CU sells a **** ton of white CU gear for this game.

Never trust these things until the season is more than half over. Take note how much the numbers bounce around from week to week and then how the bounces get smaller and smaller as we get through October.
I get that - that's why I included the strength of schedule to try to figure out the level of competition - unfortunately, even that needs more time to sort itself out.

Still fun to look at, IMO.

Lots of NFL teams are choosing to wear white at home during the hotter months in the beginning of the season. It will probably become a trend in college football too.

Plus why aren't we waiting to do this when CU goes storm trooper? This is kinda a small game to be doing this. Would be better for ASU or UCLA.

Plus why aren't we waiting to do this when CU goes storm trooper? This is kinda a small game to be doing this. Would be better for ASU or UCLA.

1) CU won't wear the white jerseys at home. Probably ever.
2) This is the final time they will wear the white helmets this season. At least in the regular season.

Back