What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OSU game fallout thread

If you are going to tout yourself as this DB genius, you should probably be able to recruit some corners who can cover.

Totally agree and I hope the youngsters and new recruits are all that, but Colorado is the type of program that is in no position to lose key players to early NFL Draft or dismissals or injuries.

Remember that the two main DB starters this year should be Isaiah Oliver and Anthony Julmisse. And Miller was out injured and would be the solid nickel. With no big time depth, guys like that are needed to succeed. Our margin is too thin still.

Totally agree and I hope the youngsters and new recruits are all that, but Colorado is the type of program that is in no position to lose key players to early NFL Draft or dismissals or injuries.

Remember that the two main DB starters this year should be Isaiah Oliver and Anthony Julmisse. And Miller was out injured and would be the solid nickel. With no big time depth, guys like that are needed to succeed. Our margin is too thin still.

Meh, there is struggling in coverage and then there is not being able to make a single ****ing play in an entire half.

Is there an unwritten coaches rule about how bad you can beat an opponent in todays College Football? I remember so many Big 8 or Big 12 games that were 50 point wins or losses. Mac cannot coach in this league or any P5 league with this soft ass don’t run up the score attitude!!!

Quoting Steve Spurrier: “If you don’t want us to score, then STOP us.”

It is not personal, its a Billion Dollar business, and you are paid a lot to kick each other's butt.

The RB group is just not good after McMillian. You almost have to try to recruit as badly as we have at that position.

The fact that the only reason we have a good player starting at RB is because he contacted Lindsay on Twitter, not because MM had recruited one or was scouring the grad transfer market for one tells us all we need to know.

In year 6 (meaning two entire recruiting classes have gone 4 years and graduated) still having a horrible offensive line, and still NEEDING to fill several gaps every year with JUCO players is unacceptable. We're not talking finding the occasional 2 deep depth piece guys or nice diamond in the rough types in JUCO, we're talking filling massive holes at DL, OLB, CB, and S. If we didn't hit with guys like Abrams, Johnson, and Taylor where would we be? It's scary, unsustainable, and not getting better with most of those same holes in this recruiting class.

Ughh... so much wrong with this team and it starts at the top. Play calling. Lack of killer instinct, recruiting. Clock management......the list can keep going and going.

Rick needs to find the dollars to make a change because this is as good as it gets with this staff. You cannot survive something like yesterday as a coach in the power 5 conferences. Cannot imagine how quickly he would be showed the door at some schools. I get the money issue but the cost of keeping him is going to add up rapidly. If we do not win on Friday, I think we do not win another game.

This could get real ugly before it is over.

Dearest Fellow Allbuffers:

I have an important announcement.

Unfortunately, I did not win the Megamillions or Powerball lotteries this past week. If I would’ve been one of the lucky winners, Mike Macintyre’s days in Boulder would be over. I’ll report back when the lottery is again an astronomical sum of money.

Dearest Fellow Allbuffers:

I have an important announcement.

Unfortunately, I did not win the Megamillions or Powerball lotteries this past week. If I would’ve been one of the lucky winners, Mike Macintyre’s days in Boulder would be over. I’ll report back when the lottery is again an astronomical sum of money.
WTF man, we were counting on you

The transformation from where we were 15 days ago is unbelievable.

aa2b8b3d06f972043c3053cd350206b8.gif

Would be great if Mac found a new home next year. This experiment has run its course. Unfortunately this team not winning another game wouldn't shock me and we'll have him as a lame duck next season because George doesn't have the money to buy him out. We're repeating DII Dan's penultimate season.

In year 6 (meaning two entire recruiting classes have gone 4 years and graduated) still having a horrible offensive line, and still NEEDING to fill several gaps every year with JUCO players is unacceptable. We're not talking finding the occasional 2 deep depth piece guys or nice diamond in the rough types in JUCO, we're talking filling massive holes at DL, OLB, CB, and S. If we didn't hit with guys like Abrams, Johnson, and Taylor where would we be? It's scary,

I have been trying to ignore this very idea that has been sitting in the back of my head for a while now. Iron Buff puts it perfectly. And note that we have not filled any OL holes with JC transfers, and that is our most glaring deficiency.

What would we be without JC quality starters in our DL especially over past three years? I’m beginning to believe this JC patching has been little more than a band aide on a creeping septic wound.

I just hurt for this team! There are good players and good young men wanting to be successful. What a sh*tshow of a game that was! A bowl game qualifying victory.
Damn this cannot happen. Head coach needs to take far more responsibility than ahhh shucks it just happened.

As others have mentioned, I slept on it and am just as pissed. I've always wanted to like Mike Mac, and while I knew he didn't have that killer instinct, I felt that he was the best coach for our team. I no longer think that and am on the "he needs to go" bandwagon until he proves otherwise.

I felt that the 24 1/2 needed to cover was easy money to bet on the Oregon State Side, as Mike Mac doesn't have it in him to keep the pedal down. I knew that we'd get a decent lead and that would dwindle (no, I didn't think we'd ****ing lose, but that negative momentum we witnessed yesterday made it clear that either the coaching staff is clueless or don't know how to ****ing coach, as almost all fans in attendance knew we were in danger of losing about halfway through the 3rd quarter.

I remember watching Utah late at night a couple of weeks ago, and Wittingham was asked what he'd tell his team on the way into the locker room at halftime, and he said something like: "we need to keep our foot on their throats." This was with a big lead. Then he also did a fake later in the 2nd with an even bigger lead. This is the kind of stuff that Mike Mac isn't even capable of. While I think that fake punt was kind of an asshole move, I don't see people talking about Kyle Wittingham being a bush league coach or an asshole - only that he can ****ing coach.

I wish I felt disappointed like I did last week after the Washington game. Now I only feel pissed.

I think that probably with the way things have gone that Montez is back next year. Given that Shenault isn't draft eligible after this year...my suspicion is that unless things turn around drastically over the remainder of this season (and maybe even if they do), that next year is truly a "put up or shut up" year for the staff. Without looking at the schedule, if they can't win 9 games next year with a superstar WR (plus what should be a solid supporting cast) and a QB who is probably at the talent ceiling for the type of QB that CU can actually recruit, then it's time to move on. IMO.

I think that probably with the way things have gone that Montez is back next year. Given that Shenault isn't draft eligible after this year...my suspicion is that unless things turn around drastically over the remainder of this season (and maybe even if they do), that next year is truly a "put up or shut up" year for the staff. Without looking at the schedule, if they can't win 9 games next year with a superstar WR (plus what should be a solid supporting cast) and a QB who is probably at the talent ceiling for the type of QB that CU can actually recruit, then it's time to move on. IMO.
If MM’s job security is tied to winning 9 games next year, then RG needs to just move on now. It’s an attractive situation for a HC next year if RG conducts an actual search. No reason to keep MM if that’s the case

If MM’s job security is tied to winning 9 games next year, then RG needs to just move on now. It’s an attractive situation for a HC next year if RG conducts an actual search. No reason to keep MM if that’s the case

9 games is probably a high mark. But why not? (again I haven't looked at the schedule) CU is unlikely to have better QBs than Montez under center, and probably even more unlikely to have a guy like Shenault at any position. If they can't do it next year, then they won't do it ever.

How many years of "put up or shut up " does a guy get? Does he need a decade? In another year kids he's recruiting were in elementary school when he inherited the program. One successful season in that time span is good enough to get another put up or shut up?

Reactions: wip
^ and ^^: I am no MM sunshine pumper. But it seems incredibly unlikely to me that he will be fired this year.

Firing a coach requires money and support. I actually do believe that RG has that now. I also think that MM when push comes to shove would negotiate a lower buyout and it could be structured over time.

It also requires a temporary head coach, and Roper fits that bill perfectly, so saying there is no chance, is not correct.

I would rather keep Roper than MM! We have great QB’s and need to keep them solid in the fold.

2019 schedule is tougher than this season, but 2020 really ramps up. Breaking in a new coach then would be no fun.

Firing a coach requires money and support. I actually do believe that RG has that now. I also think that MM when push comes to shove would negotiate a lower buyout and it could be structured over time.

It also requires a temporary head coach, and Roper fits that bill perfectly, so saying there is no chance, is not correct.

I would rather keep Roper than MM! We have great QB’s and need to keep them solid in the fold.

Why would MM negotiate a lower buyout?

^ and ^^: I am no MM sunshine pumper. But it seems incredibly unlikely to me that he will be fired this year.
The fact that him returning is even a question is why this program goes nowhere. We’re seriously doubting that a guy who might be 30-45 with only 14 conference wins (only 5 conference road wins) at the end of his 6th season would be replaced.

Easiest job in college football.

Back