What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other games 10/20-10/23

MtnBuff

Not allowed in Barzil 2
Club Member
For those of you who are habitually late in tuning in to games this is the weekend to change. Lots of games may well be over before the end of the first quarter this week.

And we are getting to the time of year when some coaches start to worry about getting fired for not winning enough games. Nick Rolovich bypassed all that and got himself fired for taking a stupid stand. Guess there is no vaccine for stupid but if there were Nebraska fans wouldn’t be Nebraska fans.

Wednesday starts us with one that could be fun until the end. After getting soundly beaten by Louisiana last weekend a good Appalachian State (4-2) team would love to upset visiting Coastal Carolina (14) who just keeps winning having outscored their past three opponents 164-29.

Thursday starts the blowout parade with Louisiana (5-1) at Arkansas State (1-5) The Green Wave of Tulane (1-5) may be nausea as they get blasted at SMU (21.)

For those who like bad football Friday starts with a classic. UConn (1-7)or UCan’t for accuracy did manage to hold on against a weak FCS opponent to get a win against Yale. As bad as Middle Tennessee (2-3) is the Huskies still don’t stand much of a chance.
Friday also gives us CSU (3-3) on the road at Utah State (4-2) in a classic matchup of schools that nobody cares about. Sheep need a win keep their bowls hopes alive with some likely losses coming up on the schedule.

The PAC12 Friday night offering won’t do much for already sagging interest in the conference as Washington (2-4) gets their turn beating up Arizona (0-6.)

The blowouts start early on Saturday. Oklahoma (3) who has scored over 50 in their last two games should get plenty of playing time for the scout team guys at Kansas (1-5) who has been giving up about 50 points per game in their last few. Lucky this isn’t in Norman or they might kill the horse pulling the wagon from overuse.

No games this week featuring two top 25 teams but some that could move teams in and out.

Clemson (4-2) could slip back in with an upset at Pittsburgh (23,) Iowa State (4-2) started the season with high expectations. An upset over visiting Oklahoma State (8) could get them back on people’s radar.

Purdue (25) slipped into the ratings with an upset of Iowa but had been otherwise unimpressive. Losing to Wisconsin (3-3) at home would take them right back out leading to their trip to Nebraska followed by games against real teams.

Might be interesting to see how LSU (4-3) responds to the news of their coach leaving after this season as they play at Ol’ Miss (12.)

Would be interesting to see how Michigan State (9) reacts to a flood of rumors about their coach being a favorite for the LSU job. Midnight Mel wouldn’t leave his dream job for more money? Might need to delay the announcement long enough keep from changing his name to Midseason Mel. Won't be this week because they have a bye.

The PAC12 tries to make up for the lousy Friday match up on Saturday with UCLA (5-2) hosting and favored over Oregon (10.) USC (3-3) was hoping this year to beat Notre Dame (13) in South Bend. Notre Dame has been far from dominant but SC (Screwed up Coaching?) is again losing games to less talented teams. Notre Dame is not less talented.

If you are hoping to see some of the villains lose this isn’t a good week. A number of them have byes, others have the next best thing like Pedo State (7) hosting Illinois (2-5) and Ohio State (5) at Indiana (2-4).

Nebraska will accomplish another college football first by turning the ball over and losing to Bye on and Adrian Martinez turnover after which Scott Frost will blame his players for “the little things” and proceed to the strip club.

Locally there is a huge game at the Academy. Air Force (6-1) may earn some top 25 votes if they can beat San Diego State (22)

Wyoming (4-2) tries to get back on track against New Mexico (2-5) who isn’t as good as their record.

Northern Colorado (2-5) should have an easier game this week at Southern Utah (1-6).

Last weekend was filled with tough, competitive games in the RMAC as the local small colleges continue their seasons.

New Mexico Highlands gave Pueblo it’s first conference loss leaving Colorado Mines alone at the top of the standings. Mines now enjoys it’s highest national ranking ever.

Western, Mesa, and Pueblo though are all right behind with only one conference loss.

This week will settle some of that out as Mines travels to play at Mesa. Meanwhile Western goes to South Dakota Mines and Pueblo hosts Adams State.

Last edited:
FWIW, the weekends that look boring on paper generally produce at least one big upset, sometimes more.
Agree with you. Part of the fun in looking at the weekends games is to try to guess which ones are not going to go as expected.

Also some of the very best games to watch are the ones that aren't meaningful in the rankings or standings but are a good match between teams.

Don't have a lot of hope for it happening but I'd love to see USC take out Notre Dame. That is one of those series that has turned up some upsets over the years.

Meanwhile how many people in the Sun Belt are hoping that Appy doesn't finish this off and knock Coastal Carolina out of the rankings for a conference that doesn't get a lot of respect.

Yep. The key on a weekend like this is situational awareness. Got to know scores and channels at all times. Otherwise you can end up with a dud on your screen while something amazing is happening.
I just have to guess really well and set the DVR. Gone to another bike race so I won't be watching until Sunday night and Monday.

End of that game I was waiting for the Appy State kicker to shank the kick. Looked a little like he didn't hit is square but it went in and down goes Coastal

Appy is a well coached team.

People are talking about Oregon football. This uniform ridiculousness of theirs has been and continues to be a brilliant marketing strategy. I hate it, but I'm also envious of the attention.
It’s ridiculous, but to have that as a recruiting tool is great. Oregon pretty much set the crazy/innovative uniform combo benchmark early on, and the rest of the schools are playing catch up. Not to mention the technology that goes into their uniforms and equipment room.

it makes me a little jealous, considering that CU was one of the original Nike schools when universities started rolling out Nike branded uniforms back in 94 or 95, if I remember correctly? Now it seems Nike does bare minimum for the Ath. Dept…

It’s ridiculous, but to have that as a recruiting tool is great. Oregon pretty much set the crazy/innovative uniform combo benchmark early on, and the rest of the schools are playing catch up. Not to mention the technology that goes into their uniforms and equipment room.

it makes me a little jealous, considering that CU was one of the original Nike schools when universities started rolling out Nike branded uniforms back in 94 or 95, if I remember correctly? Now it seems Nike does bare minimum for the Ath. Dept…
If you were Nike, wouldn’t you do the same?

So what happened to Wash this season? They were widely favored to win the north (along with lots of people picking O). I haven’t really watched any since their pitiful opening game against MT.

People are talking about Oregon football. This uniform ridiculousness of theirs has been and continues to be a brilliant marketing strategy. I hate it, but I'm also envious of the attention.
Their TV numbers are damn good. Again.

Not many reasons for Washington to continue with Lake if it potentially means losing Huard to transfer.

Back