What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-10 to invite 6 Big 12 schools

Can't verify this information:

On his show this morning, Bill King of Rivals Radio had on the guy from the Rivals U of Texas site who broke the Pac-10 expansion story. The UT Rivals guy, who apparently has a contact or two within the Texas athletic department, said among other things that once Colorado AD Mike Bohn let the cat out of the bag yesterday afternoon and admitted the UT Rivals story was accurate, there was a powwow among Bohn and the ADs from the five Big 12 South schools other than Baylor, following which Bohn backtracked all over the place.

Bohn was the first one to mention details which I found very odd. What if he ****ed it up for us. :lol:

a2926156-219-Facepalm%20jesus-facepalm-facepalm.jpg

http://www.amestrib.com/articles/2010/06/04/ames_tribune/sports/doc4c0951e944459305138917.txt

Dear Cyclone alumni, fans and friends of the University,

This week, we participated in the Big 12 Conference spring meetings in which a major topic of discussion was potential conference re-alignment. With the immense speculation and media attention given to this issue, we felt it was important for you to hear directly from us.

We believe the Big 12 Conference is the perfect fit for Iowa State University. We are committed to our membership in the Big 12, and we are optimistic that the conference will remain intact. However, we also recognize that the long-term viability of the Big 12 Conference is not in our control - it is in the hands of just a few of our fellow member institutions.

Iowa State and several other members of the Big 12 Conference are especially vulnerable under some of the re-alignment scenarios currently circulating, particularly one involving expansion of the Pac-10. We are doing everything in our power to represent the best interests of Iowa State in these discussions, but we also are sensitive to the huge uncertainty that has been created and recognize that the situation could evolve in directions that are not aligned with our interests.

We understand and share your concerns about Iowa State athletics and the Big 12 Conference. We are still optimistic that the Big 12 will remain intact and continue to be one of our nation's premier athletics conferences, but we must be ready to act if that does not prove to be the case. We will keep in touch as the situation unfolds, and we appreciate your understanding.

Go Cyclones!

Dr. Gregory Geoffroy

President

Jamie Pollard

Director of Athletics

Iowa State is scared.

I feel for Iowa State. AAU member. Great basketball fans and tradition. Never in any trouble with the NCAA. Good facilities (especially basketball).

Basically, they do things right and I've been proud to have them in the same conference with us all these years. But Ames is a tiny media market (fraction of the Des Moines market that U of Iowa dominates) in a small population state. And they're, at best, the 3rd best draw for football in the state behind Iowa and Nebraska.

Honestly, though, realignment could be the best thing for them. They'd be even stronger in basketball and have a chance to become a consistent winner in football since they'd be punching in their own weight class on a weekly basis.

did bohn **** us or not?

Bohn didn't do anything wrong. All he did yesterday was say that whatever was reported yesterday was as credible as anything else. He was on the radio in Denver this morning and said that he would like to keep the Big12 together, but everything depends on what other conferences and teams do. He said that everything is really dependant on someone going first, and once one team makes an announcement everything else will play out.

per ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5252276

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Amid rumors of a Big 12 breakup that would have repercussions throughout college sports, the commissioner of the conference said Friday that he is "comfortable" the league will remain intact.

Nevertheless, commissioner Dan Beebe failed in four days of league meetings to get a commitment that all 12 schools would spurn whatever invitations might come in from other leagues looking to expand.
Instead, he spoke of a "process" that was put in place, but refused to describe it or reveal the drop-dead date when schools must declare whether they're going to stay or leave the 14-year-old conference.

The presidents are scheduled to meet again in October.

"I am comfortable," Beebe said as meetings wrapped up. "There's still a process we're going through but based on the conversations we had I think we're in a very good position."

He said that process will "assure the solidification" of the Big 12.
In addition, The Associated Press confirmed on Friday that the Big Ten is interested in pursuing Texas. The richest and most influential Big 12 school, the Longhorns have long been the Big 12's lynchpin.

Ohio State president Gordon Gee told Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany in an April 20 e-mail that Gee had spoken with University of Texas president Bill Powers. Gee said Powers would welcome a call.

Last edited:
Anyone catch CFB Live? Apparently they had a lively discussion about expansion. This is from someone that apparently watched the show:

ESPN College Football Live says 6-team B12 deal to P10 is likely

ESPN's College Football Live had a panel discussion that concluded about half an hour ago. They claim they talked to all 6 ADs at the named B12 schools, and all 6 confirm the deal, and say it is likely to happen. I'm talking the 6-team deal (UT, TAMU, TTU, OU, OSU, CO), not the full merger of all 22 teams.

They say it is contingent on NE and MO leaving for the B10. If they stay put, then so will the other 6. If NE and MO skip town, then the other 6 are gone, too. Right now, NE and MO refuse to commit to the B12, so the analysts are saying all this is likely to happen.

They said don't believe anything Dan Beebe says right now. In their opinion, the B12 is dead.

They also mentioned that Texas said it would be willing to abandon the Longhorn Network idea to make this deal work, since the new P10 would include 6 of the 9 top college football markets, and they could get a deal rivaling, or bettering, the SEC and B10.

They also said that Kansas' AD is in extreme panic mode, and that Kansas' only likely move would be to the MWC. They didn't mention KSU, Baylor and ISU.

What do you all think?
Let's say that Big 10 somehow does bypass the '"Tech" problem' (per AP today) and nabs UT without Tech in expansion, does this leave Tech out of the picture for Pac10 expansion? It seems to me that Tech is being sent an invitation only because of UT's engagement.

In comes Utah?

What do you all think?
Let's say that Big 10 somehow does bypass the '"Tech" problem' (per AP today) and nabs UT without Tech in expansion, does this leave Tech out of the picture for Pac10 expansion? It seems to me that Tech is being sent an invitation only because of UT's engagement.

In comes Utah?

No way the P10 takes Tech without UT, IMO. They just don't add much, and there aren't that many TV sets in west Texas.

Kirk Bohls Tweet:

"I'm told A&M AD Bill Byrne has told his staff, coaches the reports the Aggies may go to the Pac-10 are true, but he didn't return a call."

The thought of Aggy in the P10 makes me laugh out loud. Talk about culture shock, not only when they're visiting places like Cal, but also when those folks come in to Collie Station...:lol:

This thing is huge. If it goes down, it looks like KU, KjSU, ISU and Baylor will be getting the proverbial shaft...maybe they could get the copyright on the Big 4. The logo could be the Big XII-VIII=IV. Of course, somebody would have to translate for the kitties....

This thing is huge. If it goes down, it looks like KU, KjSU, ISU and Baylor will be getting the proverbial shaft...maybe they could get the copyright on the Big 4. The logo could be the Big XII-VIII=IV. Of course, somebody would have to translate for the kitties....

The work is already done for them.... :smile2:

Fantastic4-Logo.jpg

CU is so lucky that it looks like they have a reserved seat on the bus. I would love to be done with UT, but if having them around means CU gets $15-$20 mil a year instead of $6-$9 mil that they get now from the Big12, I'm all for the move.

CU is so lucky that it looks like they have a reserved seat on the bus. I would love to be done with UT, but if having them around means CU gets $15-$20 mil a year instead of $6-$9 mil that they get now from the Big12, I'm all for the move.

^^^this^^^ CU could be sweating the sweat of Cyclone Nation right now and looking forward to the future Mountain Weenie Division competition...I'm glad there is a spot on the lifeboat for old CU, even if Bevo is on board.

Here's what I want to know:

1. Why are the Super 6 letting this all hinge on NU and Mizzou? My only guess is that the Pac 10 will retract the whole deal if UT is not part of the package and UT's first choice would be to keep the Big 12 in tact. We may be looking at a situation where Texas is lobbying Mizzou and NU to stay - if that's the case Osborne will milk that s**t for all he can.

2. What happens if UT goes Big 10 instead? I doubt the deal from the Pac will still be on the table in its current form.

Back