What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 countdown

images

27 days to go ...

Buff players who have worn No. 27:

Carroll Hardy - RB
Brian Iwuh - LB
Cortlen Johnson - RB
Leon Mavity - HB
Greg Thomas - FS

Cortlen Johnson is a great answer to a CU trivia question:
"In the 2001 CU/Nebraska game, in which Chris Brown ran for six touchdowns, who was the starting tailback for the Buffs?" :facepalm:

Carroll Hardy, from Sturgis, South Dakota, was a star for the Buffs (1951-54). He was a third round draft choice by the San Francisco 49ers.

Cortlen contributed his senior year and it was great to see him come back...and if he doesn't get hurt (before that obviously), who knows? he was a talented back. size, speed.

Iwuh had a nice career at CU. 4-5 year starter in the NFL (i think).

i was going to say they were both from TX, but CJ was from St. Louis. Iwuh from Texas.

Seems like Cortlen always had his best games against Nebraska, he had some nice ones against them. Too bad he did get hurt alot but he had a solid career.

Down to No. 26 ...

Players who wore No. 26 at Colorado:

Charlie Davis, RB
Don Hagin, RB
Ron Johnson, RB
Mike McCoy, DB
Chris McLemore, RB
Lyle Pickens, CB
Terrence Wheatley, CB

While Pickens and Wheatley were very good defensive backs, the name which jumps out is Charlie Davis.

Before a certain back with the initials "EB" came along, Davis was the all-time leading rusher at Colorado, with 2,958 yards and 24 touchdowns.

Davis still holds the record (one which will likely never be broken) of rushing yards in a single game. Against Oklahoma State in 1971, Davis had 34 carries for 342 yards. The next highest on the list is Rashaan Salaam's 317 yards v. Texas in 1994, with the only other 300-yard game in CU history belonging to Chris Brown (309 v. Kansas in 2002).

Davis was a second round draft pick by the Cincinnati Bengals in 1974, playing three seasons in the NFL.

27 days to go ...

Buff players who have worn No. 27:

Carroll Hardy - RB
Brian Iwuh - LB
Cortlen Johnson - RB
Leon Mavity - HB
Greg Thomas - FS

Cortlen Johnson is a great answer to a CU trivia question:
"In the 2001 CU/Nebraska game, in which Chris Brown ran for six touchdowns, who was the starting tailback for the Buffs?" :facepalm:

Carroll Hardy, from Sturgis, South Dakota, was a star for the Buffs (1951-54). He was a third round draft choice by the San Francisco 49ers.

Carroll Hardy was a good friend of my father-in-law who ended his football career as an NFL scout. But there is a great trivia question, one of the best all time, about Carroll Hardy. He had a significant role in another sport. Anyone know the question?

Carroll Hardy was a good friend of my father-in-law who ended his football career as an NFL scout. But there is a great trivia question, one of the best all time, about Carroll Hardy. He had a significant role in another sport. Anyone know the question?

I actually do :hmmm: even though it is a baseball trivia question, but I'll wait and see if any of our other Buff friends know the question ...

I actually do :hmmm: even though it is a baseball trivia question, but I'll wait and see if any of our other Buff friends know the question ...

Was it baseball?

Quite the all-around athlete. From cubuffs.com:
https://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=920326

Carroll Hardy was one of the most prolific three-sport athletes in CU history, earning a total of 10 letters in football, baseball and track. An honorable mention football All-American in 1953 and 1954 and an all-Big Seven pick as a senior, he rushed for 1,999 career yards, with his 6.87 per carry easily the best-ever at Colorado for any player with 60 or more carries. He also scored 152 points, second most at the time and still 14th best in Buff history. In baseball, he was CU’s all-time career batting average leader (.392), twice batting over .400, and also is CU’s career triples leader with 12. As a sprinter on the track team, he once ran a 9.8 in the 100-yard dash, one of the fastest times posted for the day. Hardy is one of just a few to play two professional sports, spending one year with the San Francisco 49ers (1955) and eight years in baseball with four different teams. As a major league baseball player with the Boston Red Sox, he is also remembered for being the only man to pinch hit for the late Ted Williams. Carroll is a member of the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame and was named to CU’s All-Century Team in 1989.

24 more days to go!

As we all know, Byron "Whizzer" White is the gridiron legend that wore 24 and his jersey is retired.

But there is a hardwood legend in Jay Humphries who was a two time AP Honorable Mention All American for the Buffs in 1982-83 & 1983-84.

Note: Due to the increasing traffic to this thread, I will do bold posts when I post a new number. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
23 more days to go!

Gridiron legends that wore 23:

Cliff Branch, WR
Tom Brookshier, WR & DB
Ozell Collier, DB
Charlie Martin, HB
Bill McGlone, G
David Tate, CB

Hardwood legends that wore 23:

Richard Roby (1,000 point scorer)
Ken Charlton (All American in 1963 & 1,000 point scorer)

Roby might be the leading scorer in CU MBB history but Charlton won AA honors wearing that number. I did have Cliff Branch on my team when I played All Pro Football 2K8.

Back