What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 countdown

22 MORE DAYS!

I will start with men's basketball here since the number 22 is one of two retired numbers which indicates greatness did occur in CU men's basketball a long time ago. That other retired number will be posted in a couple of days.

Hardwood greats to wear 22:

Burdette Haldosron who was an AA back in 1955 in addition to being a 1,000 career points scorer.

Wilky Gilmore is a 1,000 career points scorer from 1959-62. He wore 22 for one year.

Larry Vauclik is a 1,000 career point scorer from 1974-78.

As for the gridiron greats that wore 22:

Howard Ballage, WR
Chris Brown, TB
George Hemingway, RB
Marcus Houston, RB (I was surprised to see his name listed)
Malcolm Miller, RB
Victor Scott, CB
Jerry Williams, WB
Gene Worden, RB

Chris Brown is certainly a name familiar to most Buff fans (a picture of Brown from the 2001 Nebraska game is below), but I would go with Victor Scott. :thumbsup:

In the 1982 game against Oklahoma State, Scott had not one, but two interception returns for touchdowns ... http://www.cuatthegame.com/1982/oklahoma-state-it-must-have-been-the-tie/

Scott was also amongst the group of "survivors", who lived through the Chuck Fairbanks era and the Colorado sky blue uniforms ... http://www.cuatthegame.com/1983/kansas-state-victor-scott-and-the-survivors-go-out-winners/

Scott went on to be a second round pick by the Dallas Cowboys in the 1984 draft (a rarity for the Buffs in those days), and played five years in the NFL. :nod:

Hmmm

Hemingway or Chis Brown? Hemingway kicked ass in the NC game but Chris Brown ruined Nebraska football. Tough choice here.

Marcus Houston wore #21. I don't know where that came from.

I gotta go with Chris Brown, though. He de-balled the entire state of Nebraska all by himself. To this day, there are little old ladies in Kearney and Norfork who will tell you that Chris Brown is the debbil.

Just to throw a curve ball into this...there is also WBB #22 Brittany Spears .. All Big 12, all time CU leader in points scored at 2,185 and in the top few in most other stats for the WBB team.

Just to throw a curve ball into this...there is also WBB #22 Brittany Spears .. All Big 12, all time CU leader in points scored at 2,185 and in the top few in most other stats for the WBB team.

Great mention!

http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/football/2010_Info_Guide/all_time_numbers_pg355-356.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600

21 MORE DAYS TO GO! THREE MORE WEEKS!

Gridiron legends who wore 21:

Rae Carruth, WR
Howard Cook, RB
Ralph Curtis, RB
Marcus Houston, RB (my bad about yesterday)
Mike Kozlowski, RB
Scotty McKnight, WR
Lance Olander, WR/P
Horace Perkins, RB
Larry Plantz, RB

Carruth had the best numbers of the group, at least until Scotty came along!

Lance Olander twice led the team in rushing, in 1979 (440 yards) and in 1980 (611 yards). Just over 1,000 yards in two seasons - thank you, Chuck Fairbanks! :angry3:

(Have to throw in one of my favorite 1980 stats - kicker Tom Field led the team in scoring that year ... with 26 points!) :facepalm:

Rae Carruth was a fantastic football player. Turns out he was a horrible human being.

20 MORE DAYS TO GO!!!

The number is a retired basketball number and Cliff Meeley was the most famous one to wear 20 for the Buffs. He was an All-American and is part of the 1,000 point club as well.

Michael Marquez, RB
Harry Narcisian, RB
Alvin Rubalcaba, CB
Bob Stransky, RB

20 MORE DAYS TO GO!!!

The number is a retired basketball number and Cliff Meeley was the most famous one to wear 20 for the Buffs. He was an All-American and is part of the 1,000 point club as well.

Michael Marquez, RB
Harry Narcisian, RB
Alvin Rubalcaba, CB
Bob Stransky, RB

Looks like CLiff takes the cake.

20 MORE DAYS TO GO!!!

Michael Marquez, RB
Harry Narcisian, RB
Alvin Rubalcaba, CB
Bob Stransky, RB

Tough group to pull out any great numbers, though Harry Narcisian did lead the Buffs in rushing in 1948, with 510 yards.:congrats:

The best of the four, though, has to be Bob Stransky, a three-year letter winner (1955-57) from Yankton, South Dakota. Stransky led the Buffs in rushing in 1957 with 1,097 yards, becoming just the third Buff in history to rush for over 1,000 yards (joining the elite company of Kayo Lam and Byron "Whizzer" White).

When Stransky finished school, he was fourth on the all-time rushing list, and his 1,868 total yards kept in the top 20 on the all-time list until just this past season, when Speedy past him by on his way up the charts. :goldcup:

Stransky lived across the street from me as a kid growing up. He worked with my pops and used to throw the football around with me and a couple of other kids on my block.

Good times.

19 MORE DAYS TO GO!

Greg Biekert, LB
Charles Davis, QB
Javon Green, WR
Dave Haney, PK
Mickey Pruitt, SS
Tony Reed, RB
Rashaan Salaam, RB

:yeahthat:

That's a pretty good group of players. I want to ask this question: WHY IS #19 NOT RETIRED?

19 MORE DAYS TO GO!

Greg Biekert, LB
Charles Davis, QB
Javon Green, WR
Dave Haney, PK
Mickey Pruitt, SS
Tony Reed, RB
Rashaan Salaam, RB

That's a pretty good group of players. I want to ask this question: WHY IS #19 NOT RETIRED?
That's a tough one. I have to go with Rashaan Salaam. He signed my 2,000 sign 'Heismaan Salaam'. It was pretty sweet.

Pruitt and Biekert were studs too.

19 MORE DAYS TO GO!

Greg Biekert, LB
Charles Davis, QB
Javon Green, WR
Dave Haney, PK
Mickey Pruitt, SS
Tony Reed, RB
Rashaan Salaam, RB

Some good players on that list, but I'd like to give a shout out to Mickey Pruitt. It was his tackle of Oregon quarterback Chris Miller on the last play of the second game of the 1985 season which Bill McCartney said, "I think that could be a turning point for our program". http://www.cuatthegame.com/1985/ore...hat-could-be-a-turning-point-for-our-program/

Doesn't get much bigger than that! :thumbsup:

Some good players on that list, but I'd like to give a shout out to Mickey Pruitt. It was his tackle of Oregon quarterback Chris Miller on the last play of the second game of the 1985 season which Bill McCartney said, "I think that could be a turning point for our program". http://www.cuatthegame.com/1985/ore...hat-could-be-a-turning-point-for-our-program/

Doesn't get much bigger than that! :thumbsup:

I don't know how many times I'm going to rep you in one thread!

19 MORE DAYS TO GO!

Greg Biekert, LB
Charles Davis, QB
Javon Green, WR
Dave Haney, PK
Mickey Pruitt, SS
Tony Reed, RB
Rashaan Salaam, RB

Javon Green was my favorite player when i was a little kid

20 MORE DAYS TO GO!!!

Michael Marquez, RB
Harry Narcisian, RB
Alvin Rubalcaba, CB
Bob Stransky, RB
Got to be Marquez.

18 DAYS TO GO!

Frank Bernadri, RB
Brain Foster, CB
M.J. Nelson, WR

M.J. Nelson was a four-year letterman (1986-89), and was part of the "initial boys", along with "O...C...Oliver!" and "J...J...Flannigan".

In the 1986 Mother of all Games - CU 20, Nebraska 10 - Nelson contributed a 38-yard kickoff return after Nebraska cut the lead to 10-7. Two plays later, halfback O.C. Oliver hit Lance Carl on a 52-yard option pass and a 17-7 lead.

In the 1989 38-7 rout of Jeff George and No. 10 Illinois, Nelson had a career high 109 yards receiving (the first Buff receiver over 100 yards since 1984 by - wait for it - Jon Embree).

Back