What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pick your top candidates for DC!

Choose your favorite of top 4 candidates (according to Rivals)

• Gibbs

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • Pendergast

Votes: 61 54.5%
  • Orlando

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • Seto

Votes: 19 17.0%

• Total voters
I think ink we will all be surprised by this hire. I don't have any inside info, but I think we got too used to mediocrity being okay in CU athletics under the previous AD. And past coaches just promised us if we just hung on, we were just a play away, etc.

I think now we have a head coach who is making tough decisions and also an AD who both want us to win. I think we've been disappointed enough times that we will he surprised and shocked how great this new hire is.

Is there any reason with the wonky Colorado system why a new contract would need to be delayed into the next calendar year? I wouldn't think so (since it can be negotiated and dated ahead), but this is a multi-year deal for the DC and the contract date would be 1/1/15. I only bring it up because I've learned that just about any administrative annoyance seems possible.

Is there any reason with the wonky Colorado system why a new contract would need to be delayed into the next calendar year? I wouldn't think so (since it can be negotiated and dated ahead), but this is a multi-year deal for the DC and the contract date would be 1/1/15. I only bring it up because I've learned that just about any administrative annoyance seems possible.

we may have to wait for something official until the state legislature returns to session next year. I know the must at the least approve the contract.

Keep thinking we will hear something after each bowl game. Is MM out hitting the trail on a coach? Is there a lean? Sounds like enough $ for someone to call MM if the rumors true.

Keep thinking we will hear something after each bowl game. Is MM out hitting the trail on a coach? Is there a lean? Sounds like enough $ for someone to call MM if the rumors true.
Absolutely zero info out there right now.

lost the thread, but where is the announcement of this BIG coaching staff change and everyone was thinking McChesney?? I am holding hope for Chad Brown as LB coach

Durkin and Gibbs are known targets. At least one other unknown candidate is in serious consideration. May know as soon as Tuesday or Wednesday.

There are several capable DCs out there, but also several P5 teams looking for them, including Michigan, Utah, Texas Tech, A&M and others.

DJ Durkin has interviewed with CU but rumor is he follows Harbaugh to Michigan if that happens.

David Gibbs is a CU alum and has interviewed with Tech.

Clancy Pendergast may be an option. He lives in Arizona and is available. Could be a fit for either Utah or CU given proximity to home.

I think these are the top three.

I also think the dominos start to fall middle of next week,

we may have to wait for something official until the state legislature returns to session next year. I know the must at the least approve the contract.

They do not approve contracts at CU. Ultimately they go to the Board of Regents for final approval but that is usually a formality. Coaches work all the time under letter agreement and Memorandums of Understanding until a contract can be finalized.

The "concern" was misplaced. Most of those brought over had P5 experience (Baer among them); its not as if by coaching at a non-P5 level school you forget entirely everything you learned, but that's how posters here foolishly reacted. If anything bringing an entire staff with whom each other were all familiar, was warranted under the circumstances of the depth to which the squad morale, talent and development had sunk under WB. (WB brought in or retained what he thought was an "All-Star group and we all saw how well that worked out, with coaches screaming at each other in practices!) The most important thing for HCMM's staff was to re-build confidence, morale and re-institute development and competence, e.g. lay the foundation; tasks best served by a group familiar with each other. Now that this has been accomplished, the actual results of a second year were measured and found badly wanting. One year completely rebuilding, the next to prove your mettle and earn your keep made a lot of sense in the OVERALL scheme of things.

That said, MM wasn't going to publically embarrass these failed coaches, (unlike many other schools who make a big deal about firing assistants, such WAZZU and aTm) so they were nudged toward other jobs, likely with a plan already in place for replacements to be brought in on a timely basis. To me, it seems there is a very competent method to MM's "madness, which incorporates both technical recognition of competency and a bit of compassion for those guys who don't meet the standards---something the bloodthirsty "win-at -any-cost" SEC-types here won't recognize, ever.
As has been mentioned, the majority did not have BCS experience. Also, I think in retrospect, perhaps the concern was misplaced but none of us could have known at that point whether he might be too loyal to staff or not b/c he chose to bring most of his staff with him despite the fact most of them did not have BCS experience and all were going to get a big raise.

I realize that, just saying that if I'm betting, then I'm leaning to Gibbs.

I am onboard with Gibbs. Some of my best bosses have been "assholes" in the sense I really did not care if they were tough or grating, as long as it was fact based. Would need to learn more about the others.

I am onboard with Gibbs. Some of my best bosses have been "assholes" in the sense I really did not care if they were tough or grating, as long as it was fact based. Would need to learn more about the others.
Weren't you a Marine?

Weren't you a Marine?
Ironically enough, the bigger assholes were in the civilian sector (although one was former Navy). And I do not have a problem with someone calling bull**** on something when they are right. If they are wrong, that is another subject entirely.

Asshole can be a term of endearment if they are competent.

Ironically enough, the bigger assholes were in the civilian sector (although one was former Navy). And I do not have a problem with someone calling bull**** on something when they are right. If they are wrong, that is another subject entirely.

Asshole can be a term of endearment if they are competent.
Asshole.

Back