What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pick your top candidates for DC!

Choose your favorite of top 4 candidates (according to Rivals)

• Gibbs

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • Pendergast

Votes: 61 54.5%
  • Orlando

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • Seto

Votes: 19 17.0%

• Total voters
Seems like Pendergast isn't on the list

I don't have anything to back this up-but I think Pendergast is heading to Utah. Read a mailbag that Miller from ESPN did Friday. Somebody asked him about the possibility of Pendergast coming here, and the way he responded it made me think Pendergast is talking to somebody else about another DC opportunity. The Kalani Sitake to OSU rumor had started before word of Baer's departure leaked.

I don't care for David Gibbs. Is he an upgrade over Baer? Sure. I think theres a certain "Let's go get a buff" feel behind all the love for him. Been there, done that. Let's get the best guy for this job.....not the best Buff for it. Keep in mind a couple things-$1m gets you the highest paid assistant coach in the conference, and one of the 10 highest paid assistants in the country. A big splash is possible here-and I think the fact that DJ Durkin interviewed with us reinforces that.

There is another name on the hot board today. Not as interesting as the other 3. Hopefully a decision is made soon.

Dr_-Evil-One-Million-Dollars_zps107ab072.png

Where does the $1 million figure come from? Did Rick George publicly state that figure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No public reference to that and that would be a bad negotiating movesimeine clauming to have inside info put the $1m out there

No public reference to that and that would be a bad negotiating movesimeine clauming to have inside info put the $1m out there

I'm sorry doc, but, huh?

To an earlier post on Gibbs, if he happens to be the best available man for the job, do you pass because he is a former Buff? The Embree hangover effect has to end at some point.

It will take some cash as there will be some buyouts involved of Baer and one or more of his assistants, I would assume.

I'm sorry doc, but, huh?

To an earlier post on Gibbs, if he happens to be the best available man for the job, do you pass because he is a former Buff? The Embree hangover effect has to end at some point.
Sorry my iPhone in chile auto corrects some weird stuff sometimes!

I was just saying that someone claimed to have inside info that we had up to $1m for the right candidate but I was saying it would be a bad negotiating move to publicly state the salary in this case b-c we might get someone for much less.

Regarding the hangover, I would admit I have it too. But there is a big difference here. Gibbs has gone out and proven himself as a coordinator at many other top schools (and professional leagues too) before coming back to take the same position he currently occupies. That is, he is a proven candidate at the same position we are hiring for.

Embree had not even been a coordinator before, much less a HC so he was jumping 2 levels of coaching ranks. That was stupid.

Gibbs is not a stupid hire if that is who we do end up hiring. I think all things being equal, a former Buff is a good idea b-c their commitment level could be higher and they certainly might have more passion for all things CU.

In the university world, it is VERY unusual to hire a graduating Ph.D student at the same school. In fact, CU, at least in my field, had a rule to specifically exclude graduating Ph.D. students as full-time faculty. However, if they have gone out into the world, and proven they can produce at a level required by the university, they sometimes can be hired later in their career, but as a true peer, not a former student. I think this model works well for former student athletes converting to coaches.

It will take some cash as there will be some buyouts involved of Baer and one or more of his assistants, I would assume.
No buyout on the assistants. Just a guess, but given that Baer's contract had a buyout for both sides (we pay him if he's fired, he pays us if he voluntarily leaves to take another position) and how his departure was framed on both sides, I don't think any money is going to be changing hands for his departure.

I don't have anything to back this up-but I think Pendergast is heading to Utah. Read a mailbag that Miller from ESPN did Friday. Somebody asked him about the possibility of Pendergast coming here, and the way he responded it made me think Pendergast is talking to somebody else about another DC opportunity. The Kalani Sitake to OSU rumor had started before word of Baer's departure leaked.

not a bad hunch, that's the kind of move I could see them making

Manny Diaz would be a good hire. He didn't end up great at texas; but that was more Mac Brown than him. Would be especially good if he brought Giles and Bradford with him.

Manny Diaz would be a good hire. He didn't end up great at texas; but that was more Mac Brown than him. Would be especially good if he brought Giles and Bradford with him.
Based on latest Rivals reporting it sounds like it is down to 4 candidates, 3 of which have been discussed significantly here. Diaz is not on the list.

FYI, ESPN reporting Harbaugh announcement to Michigan coming soon. Dominoes should fall soon. I definitely don't think it is a slam dunk that Durkin gets hired as DC to Michigan so he could still be in play.

Durkin seems unlikely regardless of what Michigan does imo.

Top 2 appears to be Gibbs and Pendergast

Durkin seems unlikely regardless of what Michigan does imo.

Top 2 appears to be Gibbs and Pendergast

If we can land Pendegrast, I think it would be a big statement for the program. Gibbs is also an upgrade at DC but Pendegrast would be huge.

An example of where CU football is right now is that there has been little or no mention in the media of Baer and LaRussa leaving. If the DC left in Lincoln or Austin or Tuscoloosa, it'd be a big deal. But not in Boulder/Denver. :sad2:

An example of where CU football is right now is that there has been little or no mention in the media of Baer and LaRussa leaving. If the DC left in Lincoln or Austin or Tuscoloosa, it'd be a big deal. But not in Boulder/Denver. :sad2:

When your defense was as bad as CU's was, not sure it is as big of news. Plus i think that everyone kind of realizes that the situation must have been that Baer should find another place to coach or else he will be officially let go by X date...

Mike Nolan is looking for work now.

Nolan is one of a few guys I think could end up with the Broncos if they lose Del Rio, but I've always liked him and I had that thought last night as soon as Atlanta's season ended. Still, I don't think DJ Durkin is as far fetched as we think. I'm reading today that A&M has turned their attention to LSU DC John Chavis. Not sure what that means for our pursuit of him (hoping its just saying no to A&M)......but I'll keep my hopes up until I read he's gone somewhere else.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...t-texas-am-reached-out-to-lsu-dc-john-chavis/

Last edited:
Nolan is one of a few guys I think could end up with the Broncos if they lose Del Rio, but I've always liked him and I had that thought last night as soon as Atlanta's season ended. Still, I don't think DJ Durkin is as far fetched as we think. I'm reading today that A&M has turned their attention to LSU DC John Chavis. Not sure what that means for our pursuit of him (hoping its just saying no to A&M)......but I'll keep my hopes up until I read he's gone somewhere else.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...t-texas-am-reached-out-to-lsu-dc-john-chavis/

Seemed like Chavis and Durkin had both been top candidates. If they've turned their attention to Chavis, it's probably because they assume Durkin is going to Michigan.

And Nolan is another one of those pipe dreams, a la Rex Ryan. Don't see any way he'd wind up in Boulder as a coordinator, just fun throwing some names out there.

Seemed like Chavis and Durkin had both been top candidates. If they've turned their attention to Chavis, it's probably because they assume Durkin is going to Michigan.

And Nolan is another one of those pipe dreams, a la Rex Ryan. Don't see any way he'd wind up in Boulder as a coordinator, just fun throwing some names out there.
It sounds to me that you guys calling for names outside of the top 4 are probably wasting your time since the insiders seem to be pretty convinced our next DC is one of 4 candidates. I realize some of you without Rivals subscriptions may not know them all but 2 of the 4 are in the top 4 list above. if it became public, I would happily modify the 4 names above for a new poll.

It sounds to me that you guys calling for names outside of the top 4 are probably wasting your time since the insiders seem to be pretty convinced our next DC is one of 4 candidates. I realize some of you without Rivals subscriptions may not know them all but 2 of the 4 are in the top 4 list above. if it became public, I would happily modify the 4 names above for a new poll.

I think a lot of us have Rivals subs, but certainly appreciate your diligence in keeping us updated about what your compatriots who are really in the know are saying. While we're waiting to figure out who the new guy will be, just having some lighthearted banter about other coaches floating out there. I know, maybe we should start another thread for the folks who just want to do that.

Back