What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Polls, rankings and bowl projections

starting in the top 25 matters for teams that are likely to compete for a playoff spot. none of the pundits thought that likely for CU this year. if we win out, we will be in the playoffs 100%. we just can't take a loss and still be in the mix. oh well. if we win 10+ this season, with the guys we have coming back, we are going to be ranked in the early poll next year. like duff and nik point out above, this is a good time for us to get into the polls. momentum can build.

this is all good. worrying about how high we might climb after not starting ranked when almost everyone had this team at maybe 7-8 wins max for the season, well, it seems a little negative nancy.

Actually, I think it happened in 2016, too.

Frankly, I think football has been the weak link in the fall sports lineup.
I don’t think Volleyball was ranked in 2016. I could be mistaken, though. Or if it was, it wasn’t at the same time as all the other sports.

Great to see the team ranked in the top 25, and actually as high as #21 / #22. Hope it is a motivator and not a fat cat situation where we pee down our leg at home this Saturday.

Also, listening to all the shows talk about the PAC 12 having no shot at the playoffs, when the actual best shot is for the PAC 12 to just collude together and to let the Buffs win out and go to the playoffs!!!

OR, Montez and the boys could just put together the best run of 9 games of college football and earn a trip to the playoffs.

But, we know they will just take it "One game at a time!"

Great to see the team ranked in the top 25, and actually as high as #21 / #22. Hope it is a motivator and not a fat cat situation where we pee down our leg at home this Saturday.

Also, listening to all the shows talk about the PAC 12 having no shot at the playoffs, when the actual best shot is for the PAC 12 to just collude together and to let the Buffs win out and go to the playoffs!!!

OR, Montez and the boys could just put together the best run of 9 games of college football and earn a trip to the playoffs.

But, we know they will just take it "One game at a time!"
Yes!! We will be 13-0, #2 in the country and in the CFP!!! And it's not Kool Aid I'm drinking...it's Pinot Grigio! Woot!!!!

starting in the top 25 matters for teams that are likely to compete for a playoff spot. none of the pundits thought that likely for CU this year. if we win out, we will be in the playoffs 100%. we just can't take a loss and still be in the mix. oh well. if we win 10+ this season, with the guys we have coming back, we are going to be ranked in the early poll next year. like duff and nik point out above, this is a good time for us to get into the polls. momentum can build.

this is all good. worrying about how high we might climb after not starting ranked when almost everyone had this team at maybe 7-8 wins max for the season, well, it seems a little negative nancy.

At this point I'm not even worried about the playoff.

Being in the top 25 though means that our name is in the continuous banner at the bottom of the screen for the other games, it means that our highlights are included in all the postgame shows and that when we score we get scoring alerts popping up in the other games broadcast. It means that we get included in the weekly pick-em contest.

It also means that when newspaper articles and web blogs are talking about recruits our offer gets mentioned specifically instead of just being bunched into the multiple other offers category.

All this means that we look like a big time school to recruits and their parents and coaches. It also means that bandwagon fans and donors have reason to stay connected.

Being in the top 25 though means that our name is in the continuous banner at the bottom of the screen for the other games, it means that our highlights are included in all the postgame shows and that when we score we get scoring alerts popping up in the other games broadcast. It means that we get included in the weekly pick-em contest.

It also means that when newspaper articles and web blogs are talking about recruits our offer gets mentioned specifically instead of just being bunched into the multiple other offers category.

All this means that we look like a big time school to recruits and their parents and coaches. It also means that bandwagon fans and donors have reason to stay connected.
Nailed it. Being ranked is really important.

On another subject, there aren't a whole lot of obvious ways for CU to move up this week, although there are always some unexpected results:
  • The Red River Shootout (or whatever they call it) features #7 OU vs. #19 UT. A drubbing by either program might open up a slot, especially if OU beats UT convincingly.
  • It's baffling to me that Michigan State is ranked #20 considering they had a tough time with Utah State at home and lost to ASU. They host Northwestern, who gave Michigan all they could handle last week
  • Florida State is VERY bad this year and the game is hosted by #17 Miami, but wonky things happen in rivalry games.
  • #13 Kentucky has played well this year, but has to travel to A&M this week. Of course, if they lost the result would probably be A&M vaulting over CU
That's just about it.

Of course, CU has to take care of business against ASU, too.

Also, I just noticed that USC has a bye week. That's bull****.

And unlike ‘16-‘17, we aren’t losing everybody so our recruiting this offseason won’t look like a waste.

Quoted for truth. Being consistently ranked through multiple years can be huge for the program over the long haul.

all I know is that it's fun to watch the climb.
I think ASU will be the toughest game yet, but I expect that we'll handle business.
USC looks very beatable this year....good things can happen, and I'm hoping they will.

Vulnerable teams in front of us next week. A couple of these might break our way

#19 Texas vs #7 Oklahoma
#18 Oregon bye week
#17 Miami vs Florida St
#14 Stanford vs Utah
#13 Kentucky @ Texas A&M
#8 Auburn @ Miss St

Much more practical reason to enjoy being ranked: we get better TV time slots and networks.
That and the fact that it moves us into the standard programming conversations and previews for all the cfb media. That stupid vote changes CU to "nationally relevant" from there perspective.

Point being is this fanbase needs to be thinking about more than just getting to 6-8 wins and a bowl game at this point to me.

As a friend who’s a Browns fan told me, let me have my skepticism. If you told me before the season this team would win 6-8 games, I would’ve been ecstatic. Expectations can change but the upcoming schedule will tell us a lot about this team’s character.

As a friend who’s a Browns fan told me, let me have my skepticism. If you told me before the season this team would win 6-8 games, I would’ve been ecstatic. Expectations can change but the upcoming schedule will tell us a lot about this team’s character.

Agree to an extent. I think barely eeeking into like the Cheez-It Bowl would be a bit of a disappointment given what we've already done (ruining the first season of Fusker Jesus and blowing out the other three teams we've played) and given how average the rest of this league looks........but seeing USC and UW back to back on the road brings you back to earth. Give me a W this weekend and a split in the next two (there's no reason why this team can't beat USC)!

Vulnerable teams in front of us next week. A couple of these might break our way

#19 Texas vs #7 Oklahoma
#18 Oregon bye week
#17 Miami vs Florida St
#14 Stanford vs Utah
#13 Kentucky @ Texas A&M
#8 Auburn @ Miss St
What is Oregon vulnerable to?

Back